• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen EV Training Surprises

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
  • I was once grinding on Magikarps with my Jolteon on Pt.
    And Speed went up like 19+ ... LOLLLZ !
    I was really surprised . ;)

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I've only gotten like +5 on ATK on my Heracross...but it does that every time it levels up xD

and how does it get "half as much" when you switch EV train? Half of 1 is 1/2 and you cant have 1/2 EV

Bart Crab

Time and some freedom...
    Years
  • I don't know about half as much. it's probably just 1. any i just got another hoppipwith better ivs.

Bart Crab

Time and some freedom...
    Years
  • you know, i just thought about what is the highest amounts of evs can you get off a single pokemon.
    well here's an example:
    a pokemon who gives 3 points in ev (e.g. Crobat), holding the same power item boost for that stat (e.g. Crobat-Power Anklet) and have Pokerus. and that would be:
    (3+4)x2=14 points!
    that would be a lot quicker!

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Bart Crab is actually right, Pokerus + Power Items stack.
    Pokerus + Power Bracer + Staraptor (+3/attack) = (3+4)x2 = 14 EVs.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • you know what, i switch trained my hoppip to get the evs, but i didn't realize that it only get half as much with switch training, so i had to get another hoppip. :(

Old post but NO NO NO NO NO. You get the normal amount of EVs when you switch. There is no such thing as EVs getting cut in half for whatever reason. Only the experience gets cut in half and that's because it's shared between both pokemon.

Xanatos13

Pokemon Whisperer
    Years
  • When I was EV training Speed on that guy with 6 Magikarp it jumped up a whole lot. ^_^ But naturally I only leveled after I was finished, stupid Magikarp give rubbish experience.

Bart Crab

Time and some freedom...
    Years
  • Old post but NO NO NO NO NO. You get the normal amount of EVs when you switch. There is no such thing as EVs getting cut in half for whatever reason. Only the experience gets cut in half and that's because it's shared between both pokemon.
    but how come i had the wrong evs when i was recording them. i even tried on the internet to see the ivs, but it went error for every stat.

Tyros

Professor Walnut: Shiny Expert
    Years
  • On the original topic of this post... You know what'd be the most hilarious? Getting something to level 99 without any effort points at all somehow, then effort training it all in that level, and letting it go to level 100. If you maxed a stat, you'd see a +67 or something like it in there. Assuming you didn't use Vitamins for the first 100 EVs. *Nods some* If you did, then you'd see something along a +42.

Either way, it'd be amazing.

- Tyros

ahungryhamster

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2018
    I got a +33 to my Mewtwo's attack after it fought Bruno in several Elite Four runs. It also had the Macho Brace equipped and Pokerus. But attack wasn't the stat I wanted to see an increase in (though I wasn't actually trying to EV Mewtwo, I was Exp Sharing some other Pokemon and Mewtwo happened to be the Psychic type I picked for my team).

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • I was EV Training a Flygon in Defense-it beat an Azumarill and got +12 in Def. It had the Pokerus and was holding a Band...so yeah, I was happy. :D

Years
  • For some reason, I fell like I am not ev training properly. I have pokerus or a pokemon that has been cured from pokerus, with the power belt and I ev train on geodudes and hippopotas (lvl 24ish, in the manican tunner, for defence). I do not count how many battels i do, but I use a rare candy to see how many evs i got, but it only shows like a +2 or 3. Am I doing something wrong? Should I not use a rare candy to level my poke up and see how many evs i got? or should i fight more pokes? is there a specific number for a certain number of ev's?

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • For some reason, I fell like I am not ev training properly. I have pokerus or a pokemon that has been cured from pokerus, with the power belt and I ev train on geodudes and hippopotas (lvl 24ish, in the manican tunner, for defence). I do not count how many battels i do, but I use a rare candy to see how many evs i got, but it only shows like a +2 or 3. Am I doing something wrong? Should I not use a rare candy to level my poke up and see how many evs i got? or should i fight more pokes? is there a specific number for a certain number of ev's?
    You won't see a high increase in stats until you get to a higher level. The 4 EVs:+1 stat ratio is at level 100, so you would only see really really big stat increases if you were to, say, do all of your EV training at level 99 to level 100. Until then it's all residual and will add up over time.

Years
  • You won't see a high increase in stats until you get to a higher level. The 4 EVs:+1 stat ratio is at level 100, so you would only see really really big stat increases if you were to, say, do all of your EV training at level 99 to level 100. Until then it's all residual and will add up over time.

well, I used to see like a +10 on a stat when i leveled up once, but no inly see a +2 or +3.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • well, I used to see like a +10 on a stat when i leveled up once, but no inly see a +2 or +3.
    It varies every time you level up. As long as you're correctly keeping track of the EVs you gain and know you have the right spread once you reach 510, that's all that matters. You won't always see huge numbers as you level up.

Back