• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

EV Training

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2005
    i have a question. during EV training, once you gain 4 points in a stat, that stat goes up 1 point right away, or is it only done on level up?

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
    Level up or boxing it.

And a few more letters here to fill space....

eitghawouirethaoiwerthaoierthaweouithwaeorithaweiporlthastophwaepirthqwaepithearpig

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    no idea... no one invented a formula for calculating the speed at which EV improves a stats. Since the stats are slowly increasing by nature as well when you level up, you can't measure 2 unknowns at the same time. The only way to calculate this is when the Pokemon is at lvl 100 where there will be no more stat growth due to levels.

That being said, it means that a Pokemon's EV must be able to influence the stats regardless of lvl up. It probably just happens without popping up a message about it or something. It's not tested rather EVs affect a Pokemon if you got it all EV trained starting at lvl 100 without the box trick though... so go with the traditional method? Box trick gurantees success about EV training...

Mana Lugia

Years
    What happens is, there is a formula, that I do not know but is in the spreadsheet I use, that calculates your pokemon's stats at a level based on species max, IV max, and its EVs. That's what determines your pokemon's stats, really. Once you get 4 EVs in a stat, the level up point will be applied when possible. (Eg: obviously 510 EVs vs 0 EVs wouldn't matter much at lv 6, so you'd see maybe a 1 point difference?)

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2005
    well i was EV training my scizor and had 2 points in speed, then killed a zigzagoon and should've gotten 2 more (i had the macho brace equipped,) i killed and levelled up and still only got 1 point of speed. i saved and restarted and used a rare candy to level up instead of fighting and still only got 1 point of speed.

Mana Lugia

Years
    That's the thing, 2 points in speed is really referring to your current EV values, and the real effect of the EVs wouldn't be completely shown until you are in your 90s, really. It's the same situation as the Lv 6 vs Lv 100 comparison I gave.

Mana Lugia

Years
    Depending on the level, yes.

The 4 stat point for 1 point of gain is really how it works around Lv 100. At Lv 50, you might see, for example, 1 point for each 8 stat EXP.

Shuckle

Most Hated Strategist.
    Years
    Stats are recalculated when you put them in and take them out of the box. lvl 100 mewtwo from rare candies, you can ev train him and when you take him out of the box, the ev difference will be added.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    EVs are gained straight away, I noticed this when training my Skarmory for HP, he was getting 5-6 HP per level while beating up Whismur, and 2 HP per level after that. So, EVs are gained straight away. But they don't get added to your stats until levelling up, or by using the box trick shown above.

Back