• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event Pokémon and Save File/Trading Limitations

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I don't recall in which Generation this started (I think it's this one...?), but Mythical Pokémon (Events) are not allowed to be traded. In addition, we've always been limited to one save file per cartridge.

In the past, those who wanted to be able to play the games more than once needed to buy both versions in a Generation (or all three...) in order to both keep the Pokémon they wanted, like these Event Pokés, and then wipe the cart they originated on. These days this is impossible; Mythical Pokémon are tied to the save file. So we're faced with a dilemma: eradicate them to play again, taking away the point of getting them in the first place, or buy the same game twice...

The reason I'm bring this up is because of the 20th Anniversary Mythical Pokémon distributions. How are you guys handling this? Do you not care? Do you get them on every version you own just because you can? Have you not thought about this at all?

Personally, I think of them like I did TMs back in the day - saving them for something that never happens, and then eventually getting rid of them. I had to get rid of my Shiny Rayquaza and Diancie in Alpha Sapphire so that my girlfriend and I could start the Hoenn remakes together (I basically bought the game and then never touched it except to turn it on and collect the events, then bought Omega Ruby last month... >_> SUCKER!)

I want to keep my special gifts... But I also want to replay the games...! Does this not trouble anyone else...?!

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • never been a problem for me I alwyas had and stil has friends to trade with in real life plus I have 1 old 3ds 1 3dsxl and 1 N3dsxl so trading with myself to get multiple event pokes is no issue and i even have pokemon bank which cabn be used to store pokemon if you want to start over and have no one to trade with

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    What are you talking about? No mythical pokemon in any generation (now or in teh past) is being prevented from being traded in any way shape or form. All pokemon are fully tradeable with the exception of the Cosplay Pikachu. And what are you talking about the mythical pokemon being tied to teh save file? That is completely not true. Yes, you get a card showing that you GOT the mythical pokemon, but that is simply an in game verification that it is a legitimate pokemon, and a fun little digital keepsake for you to remember when you got it, but other than that, every single event pokemon is fully tradeable to every other game unless they have a specific ORAS only move or item, but remove those, fully tradeable.

Raburesu

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Search, "It's a special Pokémon. It can't be traded!"

What I meant by it being tied to the save file is that if it can't be traded, it's stuck in the game it's, well, in.

I looked into it and apparently this only applies to the GTS! But I tried trading with myself and I recall getting this message! I don't know what to think... I'll be so sad to learn I lost those Legends for nothing... :(

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Search, "It's a special Pokémon. It can't be traded!"

What I meant by it being tied to the save file is that if it can't be traded, it's stuck in the game it's, well, in.

I looked into it and apparently this only applies to the GTS! But I tried trading with myself and I recall getting this message! I don't know what to think... I'll be so sad to learn I lost those Legends for nothing... :(

You did lose those legends for nothing because I don't need to look up "It's a special pokemon, it can't be traded" because it does in fact ONLY apply to the GTS and Wonder Trade, trading with other people (either in person or over the internet as long as they're in your friends list) or with pokebank is perfectly legitimate, and since teh game is built entirely around trading and battling other people, they're not going to start making special pokemon that CAN'T be traded to other games, that would be counter intuitive to what teh game was built upon. There are ofcourse exceptions such as the Cosplay Pikachu and the Spiky Eared Pichu, but those weren't events, they were given as part of the story in their respective games. No event pokemon has ever been in this situation. The only other situation this comes up in is when you're trading a pokemon with an ORAS exclusive move or item that doesn't exist in X or Y, but removing the move or item makes them fully tradeable again.

Raburesu

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Explain to me, then, why this message popped up during an attempted local trade? I wasn't on the GTS or Wonder Trade, it was literally my 3DS and my girlfriend's, with me trying to send those Legendaries to Pokémon Y, and the game wouldn't allow it, so I just erased the file.

Edit: Oh... Was it because of their movesets, then?! ;_;

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Explain to me, then, why this message popped up during an attempted local trade? I wasn't on the GTS or Wonder Trade, it was literally my 3DS and my girlfriend's, with me trying to send those Legendaries to Pokémon Y, and the game wouldn't allow it, so I just erased the file.

Edit: Oh... Was it because of their movesets, then?! ;_;

well yes because think about it, the Diancie in North America was given out BEFORE ORAS was released (so X or Y only was where the giveaways came from), so logically, how can ANY Diancie get into an ORAS game if it can't be traded? It can't be traded back if it was holding the Diancite (which doesn't exist in X or Y) or if it was hacked to have a move it can't have. Also I don't know WHICH Rayquaza you had but one of the shiny rayquaza's came with Dragon Ascent which also does not exist in X or Y so the game would not allow trading of that pokemon (or again, if it was hacked to have a move it can't have, or even to have incorrect EVs ebcause some people use cheat devices to max out EVs, but this gen maxing out EVs is impossible because they are capped at 252, not the 255 that cheating devices sometimes raise the levels to, which is another way to see if the pokemon was hacked). So no matter how many posts I make, I can't explain any more clearly than I already have; there ARE no gen 6 pokemon (giveaway or not, other than the cosplay pikachu ofcourse) that cannot be traded. Pokemon's main gimmick is to be able to trade with your friends, so they're not going to start disabling that key feature by giving out untradeable pokemon. If it has moves or items that don't exist in older games, then yes it can't be traded, and if it was hacked to have moves it can't have, impossible EV spreads or any number of other impossibilities, they also can't be traded, but remove those things from the pokemon and the pokemon itself is still fully tradeable.

Next time something like that happens to you, don't give up IMMEDIATELY the first moment you run into problems, google it to see if there is a reason the pokemon isn't tradeable, don't just make assumptions because then it hurts you in the long run.

Back