• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Ever cought Yanma without being told?

Seen Yanma without being told?

• Yes

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TentacruelZ

Tentacruel Rulez The Sea
Years
  • i was playing Crystal and i saw a Yanma and Bug catcher Arnie never told me it was there so i was wondering has it ever happen to you?

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Without the swarm prompt, I think I read on Bulbapedia that the chances of seeing a swarming Pokémon is 1%. So it's not impossible, but they are incredibly rare.

crobatdeluxe

You can't be a legend...
    Years
  • This is the first time I heard that yanma is aswarming Pokemon. I got so annoyed once, that it kept appearing everywhere. Used up my repels by then, and it was 99, i say you.

Poke'Master24

Got my Wi-Fi Jirachi
    Years
  • i never came across a yanma, but i did find a Marill in a cave before the swarm. I accidentally ran away assuming it would be a geodude. I was so mad after that and I couldn't find another one.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I saw one but didn't or couldn't catch it, I came back later wanting one but never saw one again. Don't even know what the swarm trigger is.

Years
  • Nope, never seen one outside a swarm. Same goes for all the other Pokemon that appear only in a swarm. I guess I am not that lucky to see one on accident. :(

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • well im one of the 1 in so many million then

lol, nope. The rate for them when they're not swarming is 1%. So for example if you're battling in a cave and Yanma's appearance rate is 1%, you'll see roughly 1 Yanma in every 500 Pokémon you fight.

Dunsparce is another good example. Its appearance rate in Dark Cave is also 1% when it's not swarming, but I swear when I was EV training in there one time I saw a half dozen of them within 20 minutes or so.

The appearance rates etc aren't set in stone, t's all just down to chance.

Years
  • lol, nope. The rate for them when they're not swarming is 1%. So for example if you're battling in a cave and Yanma's appearance rate is 1%, you'll see roughly 1 Yanma in every 500 Pokémon you fight.

1/500 = 0.2%
    1/100 = 1%

lrn2maths

I don't think I've ever caught a Yanma without being told of the swarm. :[

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • 1/500 = 0.2%
    1/100 = 1%

lrn2maths

I don't think I've ever caught a Yanma without being told of the swarm. :[

LOLwoops, my original message said 1 in every 100 but I edited it. Poorly.

I don't think i've ever caught a Yanma even when they have been swarming tbh =/

Dirtyjerry

TJ Kitchen
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    when I played through my gold version the first time I spent hours catching all the swarming pokemon not knowing you get catch them in a swarm.

Back