• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Every Now and Then (Original FanFic - PG/PG-13)

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    Foreword

Good day to everyone. This is actually something I started the other night. The introduction and first chapter are done. I am working on the second. Please, constructive criticism is welcome. Please enjoy!

[WARNING: All material, characters, and story belong to me and are not to be replicated or published by anyone else without my permission.]

Introduction

It was a fine autumn day, the wind was brushing lightly against the trees and the crisp air reminded everyone that they were alive. It started out to be a normal day, or so Andre thought, as he walked through the busy streets of the city. Skyscrapers on either side and the loud irritating sound of the taxi horns filled the hussle and bussle that he had come to expect. Looking in the glass panel of a building next to him, the young man woke up from his daydreaming of days gone by. He was now a businessman only a few years out of school, and he was on his way to the first big meeting he would attend in his life. Little did he know that this day was not like other days, something very miraculous was about to happen to this young businessman.

A horn, the rush of a car speeding by, and a hand yanking him off the road is all that stopped Andre from being the next creature to be scraped off the road. A thought crossed his mind before he turned to face his savior, would anyone care? Would anyone miss him?

"Hey," came a small voice. It repeated itself before Andre finally snapped out of yet another one of his morbid contemplations. He looked around for the owner of the voice but no one was there. "Hey, hey. Down here!" came the tiny voice again. The young man looked down. Shock spread across his face at what he found.

"What are you staring at? I just saved your life you know! You could at least thank me properly!" the voice continued indignantly. Andre rubbed his eyes not knowing what to think. Was that thing really talking?

"I'm going to walk away now and pretend I never saw that," Andre muttered bewildered. This was definitely not like any other day. Walking as fast as he could away from the curb, he finally found his way to his office and into his cubical. He had an important meeting to attend and he was not about to let some freak incident ruin his big shot. He was presenting on a new development scheme for one of the new franchises his business was opening up. This was his chance to show what he had after years of working in this tiny workspace.

"Keep it together. Just pretend you never saw that. You have to focus," he double-checked that he had the flash drive containing his powerpoint and then he headed off.

His boss met him at the door of the conference with a scowl, "what in the world is that?"

Andre followed his boss' finger down to the floor beside him. Oh no. It had followed him. "I don't know. What do you want me to do with it?"

"No pets allowed, Mr. Grey. Get rid of it now!" the stern man said as he crossed his arms and checked his watch.

"But it isn't mine! I don't even know what it is!"

"You brought it, you get rid of it! Now."

"But…"

"Now."

Andre grumbled his compliance. This wasn't worth fighting over, especially since he was going to impress everyone in only a few more moments. He picked it up by the scruff and walked it to the window. Should he just throw it off 5th story?

"You do, and I will personally climb up here and kill you."

The businessman dropped it in surprised. It talked again!

"Of course I can talk." Apparently it could read minds as well.

Still, he wasn't about to let this thing ruin his good day. No, he was going to get rid of it and get back to his life. He picked it up again, this time cautiously in case it decided to attack him. The things he did for his job, he thought as he set it on the steps right outside of the main entrance. Andre quickly shut the door and went back to the 5th floor and into the conference room.

"Sorry gentlemen for the inconvenience. Now if you would turn your attention to the wall I will start my presentation of the new-"

"Mr. Grey! I told you to get rid of that cat!" his boss screamed, this time turning red at his employee's disobedience.

Andre took a deep breath and shuttered as he turned around to see the black cat sitting patiently at his feet. The growl of his boss snapped his attention back. "S-s-s-sir…" Andre stammered.

"I already told you to get rid of it."

"But sir…"

"No more 'but's. You have humiliated me, and this company. Get out."

"But the proposal."

"Forget your proposal and get back to your cubical. While you are at it, get rid of that cat!"

Andre started to say something in his defense but he decided it was best to stop before he got fired. His big break and it was ruined. He pulled his flash drive out of the usb-port and slumped out of the conference but not before the little black cat jumped on the chair then the desk and finally landing on the poor young man's shoulders.

"That could have went better," the cat remarked sagely as the door closed behind them.

"You're telling me," Andre sighed, and then realized he was talking to a cat. "Great, I'm going insane now. First my job now I am talking to cats."

"Yeah, I had that problem too. You get used to it." Andre looked incredulously at his new found companion only to see the yellow eyes of the cat laugh back at him.

"Nice cat. I heard what happened. Too bad," a co-worker said laughing as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Shut up, Fred," Andre moaned as he poured some water, forgetting that the cat was still on his shoulder.

"I mean really, you should have seen it. The boss was livid!"

"Shut up, Fred."

"It was the first time I saw-"

"You could just punch him," the cat said humorously. Before Andre knew what happened an acute pain shot up his arm. He had punched his co-worker in the mouth, possibly breaking his jaw and definitely breaking a few knuckles. "I was only kidding you know," the cat whistled as he watched the man fall to the floor and the coffee cup shatter.

"What is all the noise?" exclaimed the boss in his usual rough tones as he stormed out of the conference room after hearing all the gasps. He turned the corner to see Fred on the floor and Andre doctoring his bruised knuckles. "What is this?" he growled doing everything to not strangle Andre.

"It's not what you think," Andre began. "It's exactly what you think," the cat finished. Andre glared at the cat but he just seemed to shrug, his eyes smiling.

"You stay right there, Mr. Grey, while I make a few calls." As his boss walked away, the cat whispered something about the police, arrest and the death penalty, causing the young man to panic.

"Quick, run!" the cat whispered. That was all Andre needed to go racing for the stairs. He heard some yelling, presumably his boss yelling for the others to get him.

Bounding down the stairs several at time, not being able to get away fast enough, he had no clue where he was going to go. "What are we going to do?"

"Don't lump me in with you. What are you going to do?

"You are definitely not helping. You got me into this mess, now you have to get me out."

"In that case." the cat grumbled, not liking this guy's attitude, and snapped his fingers. Fingers? That was the last think Andre remembered thinking because the next moment he found himself tripping over something he could have sworn wasn't there before, launching himself down the next flight of stairs. Andre closed his eyes expecting the crack of skull and death. Instead what he hit was soft, too soft to be the concrete floor of a stairwell.

"Is this what it feels like to be in heaven?" Andre muttered before realizing he has babbling nonsense; his knuckles still hurt, of course he wasn't dead.

"You finally woke up," the now very familiar voice came.

Andre rolled around prepared to lecture the cat about what he had done to him. Instead of that nosy cat there was a boy, far younger than himself, standing over him wearing a pair of battered trousers and matching tunic.

"You were, you were, you were, a-a-a," was all the poor businessman could get out before nearly succumbing to his fatigue and shock.

"A cat? Oh, you were expecting this?" the boy said with a childish grin. There was a pop and there sitting at his side on the bed was the familiar black cat. That was the last sight Andre saw before he fainted again.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    Chapter 1
    The crisp autumn air caressed the young college student's cheek lightly as she stepped out side of her apartment complex. She was in her third year of college and today was like any other day. She was going to her morning class and then she would go shopping with some of her friends. Dressed warmly in her corduroy jacket and favorite scarf she stuffed her hands into her jacket pockets and made the trek from the apartments to her first class.

She stopped by the mail office on her way, as was her custom. She greeted the postal worker as he walked out and went directly to her mailbox. A letter? She blushed slightly at the thought of it being from her boyfriend of three years. He had recently left to study abroad a year ago and he had written her as often as he could. Why he didn't just email her, she wasn't sure but she was happy to hear from him nonetheless. Before she opened it she looked at the clock and realized she would be late if she idled any longer. She stuffed the letter into her purse and rushed out of the office and down the road.

"You are late, Ms. Yusuki," the professor scolded as she tried to enter relatively unnoticed. This was a rare occasion so she was hoping that the professor would let it slide. Apparently not, as everyone looked over to her; she ducked her head in embarrassment and made her way quickly over to a spot in the back corner.

"Why are you so tardy? What happened?" a classmate whispered. Diana Yusuki did not notice her or pretended not to hear as she took the letter out of her bag. Only one thing preoccupied her mind at that instant. She opened the envelope silently so as to not draw any more attention from her teacher.

"What's that?" the same classmate said in curiosity as she reached for the piece of paper. Diana snapped it away in an instant and glared at her friend. This was a personal matter, and she would be the first to read the exciting letter. But as she read, she realized that it wasn't so exciting anymore. "I don't understand," she mouthed silently as tears welled up. Why now? What had she done wrong?

"What does it say?" a concerned voice came from beside her, the same that had a moment before tried to grab at the letter. She went to look over her shoulder but Diana just shoved the paper back into her purse and laid her head down trying her hardest to hold back the tears.

Class felt like an eternity to the young woman. When would it end so she could go back to her room and cry? That was all she wanted to do as the professor continued to lecture as if he had no care for the girl's feelings.

The professor had finally dismissed them 10 minutes late and right when Diana got up to leave, the classmate that had been by her side put a hand softly on hers. "Diana, what in the world is wrong? What did that letter say? Who was it from?"

"Not now, Kelly, I just want to get out of here," was the only explanation Diana gave to her friend as she flung her coat back on and raced out the door, tears beginning to streak down her face. What an awful day this was!

Kelly didn't wait for an invitation; she followed after her hurt friend all the way to her apartment. Putting her foot in the apartment door before it had a chance to shut, she let herself in as well. "Yu-yu?" Kelly called out as she entered the sparsely decorated apartment. Only a couch and a table for putting books and papers on where in the main room. There was a kitchenette off to one side and one door leading into the only bedroom, where Kelly heard loud sobs coming from.

"Yu-yu, are you alright? Can I come in?" Kelly asked quietly not really waiting for a response. She entered the room, and sat beside the sobbing girl who had thrown herself at her pillows and wept into it, drenching it with tears she had held back for the last few hours.

Diana softened her grip on her pillows when she heard the pet name her mother used when she was upset. Kelly had adopted the use of it after having been her friend for many years. She handed the letter she had buried under the pillows only a few seconds before hitting it in violently with the pillows in frustration. Kelly took the letter from her dear friend's shaking hand and read it. She gasped and pulled Diana to her and embraced the girl tightly letting the tear-stained letter fall to ground.

"What did I do wrong!" Diana screamed into her friend's shoulder, welcoming the comfort.

"You did nothing."

"Why did he have to die?" Diana sobbed. The letter wasn't from her boyfriend but from the school he had been attending. He had been killed in a student demonstration trying to protect the university and ending up as one of the many victims of the violence. The letter came several weeks late as he had been one of many who were casualties, and others needed to be notified before she was. She continued to sob, her words muffled by her friend's shoulder. "We were going to marry, and have kids, and we were supposed to live happily ever after. Why did this happen?" Diana gasped for breath as she said this, barely able to withstand her crushed heart. It felt like her future, her plans were ruined, wrecked, and destroyed.

"Why did he have to do it?"

"Would you expect him not to?"

"Was he not thinking of me?"

"Do you really believe that?"

This went on for several minutes, her sorrow turning into frustration when Kelly wouldn't let her find any fault in the man she loved. All Kelly could do is to continue to press that what he did was right and that it would somehow be all right, though she didn't know exactly how. Kelly left at Diana's insistence, saying that she needed her space and time to figure it out. This proved would prove not to be the best choice.

Strange and fearsome feelings began to well up in the young woman as she sat in the dark. Feelings of longing to be with the man she had loved; feelings that would cause her to want to end it all just to be with him again. She was slowly losing her grip on reality, and as time passed on she lost herself faster and faster to these feelings until it was the only thing she had left. The feeling of regret, of longing, filled her entire being until she was empty of her reasoning.

She looked out the only window in the apartment and looked at the clock on the wall. It was past midnight now. No one would be out, no one would notice. At that moment, she believed that no one would care if she were gone. She left her apartment and walked down the stairwell to the first floor, not caring enough to put on her coat to brace against the cold, after all she wouldn't be needing it. Someone passed her in the hall briefly offering a greeting. After noticing the empty but determined look in her eyes the man asked if she was ok. She didn't hear him and she didn't want to hear him, she only continued to walk out the door into the cold night. The man had thought about chasing after her, but he didn't know her so he shrugged it off as her needing fresh air.

Leaving the apartment and everyone behind, Diana continued to walk down the empty street, headed toward the bridge that connected the south side of the town to the north. This would be the last walk she would be taking.

"Where do you think you are going, miss?

A voice? Diana looked around confused. She could have sworn she was the only one out tonight. No one was there so she continued on her way. The voice, however, echoed in her head even through the emptiness. It was warm and strangely familiar though she could have sworn she never heard it in her life.

"Did you not hear me you silly little girl? Where are you going?" the voice was sharper with a hint of rising irritation at being ignored.

Diana felt something jump on her shoulder and she jumped in surprised as claws softly poked her through the t-shirt she had been wearing. Perhaps she should have worn a coat after all she thought as she felt herself slowly gaining sanity. She looked over to see a black cat with sharp yellow eyes, which seemed to peer into her very soul. Did that cat just talk?

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

"Who are you? What are you?"

"Enough of your questions. Answer mine: where are you going?"

"That is none of your business," she said indignantly as she reached her destination. The cat jumped onto the guardrail and walked beside her until she stopped at the crest of the bridge.
    Diana looked both ways to make sure that there were no cars and then climbed onto the rail, standing there for last few seconds to contemplate her last moments of existence.

"So you are going to jump?" The question rang in her mind. What was she doing? No, she couldn't forget about him. She had to do this if she ever wanted to see him again. She had to.

"Are you going to jump?" That question again. What was the cat trying to do? Surely she was even more insane than before, now cats are talking to her. The question came again and she screamed.

"Yes I am going to jump! Are you happy? I am going to end it so I can be with him!"

"Would he want that?" the cat shot back. He didn't like being yelled at and he wasn't about to get lectured by this girl. Diana stopped the shock of the truth of what the cat had said sunk in and left her numb. He of all people was against suicide. Would he be happy seeing her after something like this? Would he feel betrayed? No, he was the one who betrayed her. He was the one who died without caring for her, why should she care about his convictions now. All she wanted was to see him again.

"Listen, I will help you out. I will count to three and you can jump," the cat said, his eyes seeming to laugh at her as she looked at him with all the anger she could muster for making light of her situation.

Apparently he wasn't kidding, he proceeded to count, starting with one, with a long pause. She could feel her body tighten and getting ready to jump. What was she doing? She didn't want to do this. The second count came and she could feel her heart racing. What was happening? She didn't even hear the third and final count; the cat had pushed her after the second.

The next thing she knew she woke up on a bed. A bed? She was on her back and covered by a thin sheet of cotton. She looked around to find herself in a small single room made of a mixture of mud and brick. There was a fire in the center of the circular building and a variety of tools, ingredients and weapons hung on the wall with only a small table and two chairs left to decorate the room. There was a small woven rug at the entranceway marking the otherwise bland dirt floor.

"So you are awake?" came the same voice from before. Diana looked to see a young boy no older than thirteen leaning on the doorway. She looked in blank surprise as she looked once more around the room and then outside. All she could tell was that it must be around midday now, and the last thing she remembered was being pushed off a bridge at night.

"Where am I?"

"So your name is Diana Yusuki? You are Japanese then?" the boy said ignoring her initial question.

"Only on my father's side. My mother is American. Where am I?" she said this as if it had been recited often at introductions when people noticed her last name. She wasn't about to let this boy control the conversation, she would find out what happened and where she was.

"You are lucky to have your parents living together happily married," the boy continued deflecting her questions and continuing the conversation. She looked at him, again thrown off guard by how much he knew. "How do I know?" he asked her noticing her expression. "Some may say I can read minds, but I like to say I can tell a lot about a person by looking at them," he explained vaguely.

"Who are you?"

"Me? No one of importance, at least not right now. What I want to know is why you wanted to jump off that bridge. Ending your life is not something you should take so lightly. You are lucky I was coming for you."

She was about to ask what he meant but he gave her a patient look that told her that she would find out soon enough. "Someone very near to me died. I was overwhelmed with wanting to see him again, even if that meant dying," she explained, surprised at how sober and matter-of-fact she sounded.

"Dying doesn't bring the person back. He must have died hoping to make you proud for standing up to others like he did. If he hadn't, how would he have ever shown his face to you? He would have been disgraced to ever be in your presence again. Did you not give any consideration as to how he felt in his final moments?"

She found herself getting used to the shock of how much and how well he seemed to know not only her but also everyone one related to her. She cried tears mixed with pride over realizing how he must have felt and frustration at her own lack of understanding.

"Those tears are a little closer to what you should be feeling but shouldn't you be wondering where you are right now? I mean, you are in a strange hut talking to a boy," the youngster said calmly, though his eyes sparkled as if taunting her.

"I have been trying to ask about that but you wouldn't answer me!" she said indignantly.

"I do remember you saying something like that now that you mentioned it," the boy said innocently as if he forgot by accident. "Anyway, let me introduce myself. I am the elder of this small village and chief advisor to the prince of this land."

"Weren't you a cat?"

"Technically I still am," the boy said as he stepped out of the doorway where the light behind him had hid his features. His eyes were still yellow and his pupils still slits but the iris was still round like a humans. His hair was unkempt and black as night. His skin was tanned with a slightly charred appearance that helped his eyes stand out against his black skin. He wore a pair of battered tanned cotton trousers and a matching tunic with not shoes or any proper footwear. He grinned, his canines pointed like a cats. He turned his head to reveal that his ears were ever so slightly pointed, though not enough to be noticeable at first glance. He extended a hand to help her off the bed, which she almost took but reeled back after she saw that his fingernails resembled the claws of a cat.

"What are you?" the question came out before she had a chance to stop herself and it came out more fearful than she had anticipated.

"That is for you to find out," he said his voice suddenly sounding much older, far older than his appearance. He took her hand and help her to sit in a chair near the fire as he took a pot of hot water off of the small heating stone that was suspended above the fire. "Drink this, it will help calm you," the boy said as he handed her a small cup with the hot liquid which resembled tea. She drank it welcoming the warmth that filled her chilled insides.

"Do you have a name?" she asked realizing he never fully introduced himself. She didn't understand anything about what it meant to be an elder of a village and the chief advisor, or how the two could possibly be related. Weren't advisors supposed to be housed in a palace and close at all times to a king or emperor? There were many questions she wanted to ask him and she could sense that he understood what she wanted.

He leaned forward, his eyes serious, as if there was more significance to that question that she had thought and he growled, a very cat like expression crossing his face, "My name is far too long for someone like you to remember or possibly understand." His expression softened, however, knowing that that reaction would stop her from asking that question again. "You can call me Kyle, if it suits you. I have always been fond of that name from your world."

"Kyle," she repeated the name over and over again in her mind, somehow it felt right to her.

"One more thing. Never address me directly in public."

"Why?"

"You will be killed on spot. It is our way."

"How shall I address you then?" Diana asked slightly confused as to why he would tell her his name and then warn her not to use it.

"It is wrong to address an elder in our culture. It is a serious offense to the people. Furthermore, I am the high advisor of the land. You will address me as "his highness." For my word is as the prince's," Kyle said his eyes dancing with humor, as if he found this situation something to be mocked. "The people of this village address me as "high elder" or "elder," but you may not call me that. This will offend my people."

Diana finished her tea trying to take in everything she heard. It was still confusing to her. Why is this little boy an elder? Are there only babies in the village? Why is an elder of a small village the high advisor to a prince who rules over this world? How did she get here? How did Kyle know her and get to her world? Was she dreaming? These questions and much more stuffed her mind, driving her once again to the brink of insanity.

"There is much for you to still take in. Please feel free to rest here. There are others from your world you must meet but they are also resting from the shock of being here. All your questions will be answered in time. Until then, please change into the clothes that have been provided to you on the bed. It is unsightly in this world for a woman such as yourself to be dressed as you are now. I know that this is how your people in America choose to dress but it is not acceptable here."

With that Kyle left closing the makeshift door behind him, leaving Diana to ponder her existence, everything that had happened since she got her. She would have to be patient if she wanted all these questions answered. For now she got off the chair and walked over to the bed where the clothes he had given her lay. The question that haunted her as she changed was what did he mean by others from her world? Was she not the only one?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    Chapter 2
    "What have you done, my old friend?" a man asked a small dark skinned boy. The man was dressed in regal clothes as expected from a prince-king. His leggings were made from rich leather and his tunic from the finest white silk in the land. He wore a finely crafted sword with a jeweled hilt on his hip with an equally elegant scabbard. The man, well into his thirties, was well built and weathered as if he has seen days of adventure and glory. He was human by all accounts unlike the black feline that knelt before him.
    "My Prince, do not address me as such. What will your other advisors think?" the boy asked not keeping the humor and sarcasm from his voice as he glanced at the other men and women that circled around them in a council ring. They were in the throne room of the prince, an elaborate extravagantly decorated room of marble. The castle the prince dwelt in was of the style that is equivalent to that of the medieval castles of old. This particular room doubled as the council room with the throne being tiered above the semi circle of seats that surrounded the throne. The dark skinned boy knelt before the prince, with his back to his colleagues.

"They know you are the eldest in the room, as well as my dear friend. They respect you," the prince smiled knowing that that wasn't the only reason why his old mischievous friend was feared. He was a skilled fighter even at his age and was rumored to be able to read minds. Everyone sat silent for this strange being. He was the only of his race allowed to leave the small village he inhabited, so he was already a rare sight. Another oddity of this boy was that he was hundreds of years old and the only one of his kind to be so old with such a young appearance. It has also been rumored that he had found the fountain of youth but every time he is confronted with this he laughs and denies the claim with the same mischievous eyes.

"What is the meaning of bringing humans from another world here?" one of the gentlemen behind him demanded, sending hushed agreements around the circle.

"Friedrich, please," one of the dissentingly councilmen admonished. "Let the High Councilor speak."

"So the youngest among us disagrees with my actions does he?" the cat hissed menacingly as he drew closer to the young Friedrich.

"High Councilor, you cannot do as you please without telling us first," the second eldest added. "It is reckless and irresponsible. What will happen if your people find humans in your village? Will you still be elder?"

"Thank you for your concern, but it is not your business to know how my people will handle what I have done."

"Kjolrorarn Jadinechim Ridaisu Isririan of the Bnynar Clan, hero and seer of the realms, friend and High Advisor of the prince," came a stern voice from the throne. The boy ducked his head at the power and command at which his name and title were spoken; even the rest of the council fell silent at the reminder that they were in the presence of their savior. They all turned their attention to the prince who softened his gaze on the boy-cat. "Affectionately named Kjiri because I can never seem to properly pronounce your name," he added after everyone had quieted.
    The boy named Kjiri bowed reverently, the whole council stared in disbelief at how the prince could tame such a beast. "You must remember, my king, that I am not the only hero. I was by your side."

"Do not call me king. I am hardly worthy of the title and my father still wears that title proudly."

"But, sire, he is…"

"No more of that. You have trained me well to prepare me for this role. Now, the court and also myself would like an explanation of what you have done. You know it is forbidden to go into that strange world and bring their people here. Why have you done such a thing?"

"There are things that even I, as the seer of realms, cannot tell you. I am sorry, Highness. I can only tell you that they are needed and it is important for them to be here."

"That is not enough!" Friedrich accused as he stood up in anger. That was clearly the wrong move to make against such a being, as everyone else knew what was bound to happen. Kjiri sprang into action before anyone could see. He leapt from the place where he knelt with the agility granted his race. In the next instant he had Friedrich in one clawed hand and the other raised to strike. Kjiri hissed menacingly. "Where is your honor boy? You have no right to speak to your elder like that. You should have died with your first outburst, you should not be permitted to live after the second."
    Friedrich shook visibly as the claws from one hand clenched him firmly. Terror gripped at the entire council. Young and old alike prayed silently that this would not end as horribly as it began. "Are you going to kill me? Is that the way of your people to kill those who disagree with you?" Friedrich spat. Kjiri tightened his grip until the young councilman could hardly breath.

"That is enough. I will have you removed from the court with one more violent gesture from you, Kjiri. This is not your village, violence will not be tolerated here," the prince said with one hand on his hilt and the other clinched readying a spell. The prince was the most powerful war mage, and if there was anyone quicker than the agile feline it was him, even at his age. Kjiri spat on the floor at the
    young man's feet and threw him back into his chair, disgust instead of mischief playing at the boy's eyes.

With Kjiri tamed, the whole council flew into shouts and accusations. The prince stared incredulously at his friend before dismissing the counsel for a much needed intermission. They would have rioted right there if the prince had not insisted on a break.

The prince and his companioned walked silently out to the balcony of the throne room. "What are you trying to do, old friend? I cannot keep up with you anymore. You must calm yourself and start acting your age and not your appearance," the prince sighed heavily as he leaned against the rail and stared off into the distance.

"These new ones have no respect for age," was all the cat could say in his defense.

"That isn't good enough. They are not entirely familiar with who you are. They do not respect you as the old ones. It is impossible for them to sense the weight, gravity, and importance of your words."

"Why are they on the council then?"

"We need fresh voices as well as old ones to rule this land. You are the only representative from your village. You know this, so why do you insist on making scenes?" The prince paused and then added with a slight chuckle, "The only peace and agreement we have is when you are absent."

"Are you implying that it is best that I leave?"

"Not at all. You are my constant companion and friend. You alone I trust, however, we do not rule by fear and violence. We should seek peace. Is that not what we fought so long ago for?"

"Not so long ago if you have lived as long as I."

"The point, Kjiri. The point is can't you be a little more patient with the younger ones? There are still those on the council who remember what you have done for them and this kingdom."

"If you wish it, it will be done."

"Thank you, friend. Come, let us return."

They returned to a sober council no one spoke of what transpired but all where in agreement to move on to other matters, deciding to wait and see what the cat was up to.

Diana flung the hood of the travelling cloak that Kyle had given her over her head. One look outside and she knew that humans were not common. She stepped outside to find that there were several other similar structures of all shapes and sizes around. The one she had stepped out of was possibly the smallest but it was the only one located on the top of a hill, presumably to symbolize status and rank. Now that she looked around, it was the only hill in the small village, and in front of the hut was a giant stone circle, obviously met for village meetings. She travelled down the walkway to find other inhabitants, all with cat-like features, young and old and all different colors. Some had blue hair; some had golden yellow, others brown. Some looked hairy and some looked more well kempt, all however seemed poverish. As she walked further away from the hut on the hill she noticed that the huts got closer and closer together and soon found herself in a small city and not so much a village. How great must the cities of this world be if this were a village? Sure it seemed poverty stricken and backwards but by size alone it equated to more of a town and not so much a village in her world. The air was thick with anticipation and fear she sensed from its inhabitance like they knew before they saw her that she wasn't one of them. Kyle must have told them about her already.

"Psst," came a hiss from an alleyway. She looked to see a hooded figure. "You are human too right?" came a male voice, young like hers. She nodded and she was pulled quickly into the alley and drug behind a corner. The man took the hood off and there stood a man only a few years older than her, dark hair and brown eyes. His features were otherwise unremarkable especially given everything she had seen to that point. It was, however, refreshing to see something familiar in such a strange world.

"How did you get here?" he asked in hushed tones. She gave him a quizzical look. "You are the only other person I have seen in this strange village. How did you get her?"

"A black cat." she managed finally finding her voice.

"He brought you here too?"

"His name is Kyle," she didn't know why she said this, only that she was kind of offended at the man's attitude. He seemed frightened like a mouse that is surrounded by cats. She was scared but no one had threatened her. In fact, Kyle was very polite and though his warnings were harsh she could tell he meant her no ill will.

"Yeah, whatever. We need to get out of here," the man continued in chauvinistic tones brushing off her comment.

"Why?" she blurted out before she saw the torn clothing. He was dressed in a fine business suit, that is, before it was torn almost to the point it couldn't be called a business suit. Diana couldn't help but smile at the thought that this man probably wasn't received well. She couldn't help not liking him either with the way he treated her. "What happened? The cat scratched you?" she added her eyes now as taunting as Kyle's. He probably deserved it; she would probably scratch him if she could.

"These beasts are wild. They'll try to kill you quicker than try to talk to you!" he said in his defense feeling frustrated and insulted.

"I seem fine don't I?" Diana protested.

"Are you on their side or my side?" the man demanded.

"Why is this about sides all of a sudden?"

The man grunted and threw up his hands in frustration. He couldn't get through to this woman; she was beyond him. He started to walk away deciding it better to find shelter than try to talk sense into her.

"Good riddance, that guy was unbearable!" she exclaimed as she stormed away in the opposite direction. She stopped. He said he was from her world. Was this one of the people that Kyle had mentioned? She turned around. She had to find him; he may have answers to her questions.

She chased after him, or at least tried to. She lost herself in the maze of the alleyway. How long had he been here? Possibly longer than she expected if he knew this alley well enough not to get lost.
    She turned another corner and stumbled back. There stood a black cat-boy almost identical to Kyle. "Kyle, I found you!" she exclaimed as she stepped forward wanting to hug him, she was so lost and she was excited to find someone who was friendly.

The boy jumped on her, hissing and knocking her down. "How dare you speak his name," came the threat as claws choked her. The boy's hand rose to kill her in one stroke.
    "Now now now, my boy. This is her first time here, please forgive her offense," at first she thought it was Kyle but the voice was too raspy and feminine to be his. The boy let off and scampered behind the aged woman. Her face was light in complexion and her hair streaked with grey. Who was this old woman? Was she human? The woman looked human before Diana noticed the grey hairs on her hands and the filed claws that resulted from age. She used a cane to walk and hobbled over to the young girl offering a hand to help her up.

She grabbed for it instinctively, surprised by the strength of the woman's grip. "Please forgive my grandson. It is our way to kill those who dishonor our kind especially our elder."

"So I've been told."

"Come with me. I have been looking for you. Kjolrorarn has asked me to take care of you while he is out of the village."

"Where did he go? He was only gone a few minutes."

"He is at the grand council explaining why you and the other two humans are here."

"Is the castle far from here? Surely he couldn't be there already could he?"

The old woman smiled sweetly. There was much that Diana would have to learn about this race and especially their elder. "You must still be tired from your journey through the rift. That Kjolrorarn really must be more careful."

"Kyle?"

"Yes, that is what I believe he is having the humans call him."

"He said that no one is ever to speak his name and that you all call him 'elder'."
    The woman smiled again this time chuckling. "My child, can't this poor wife of the man you speak of not refer to her own husband by his name?"
    Diana reeled back on impulse. Wife? She was so much older than Kyle, how could this old woman be the wife of such a young boy. "What do you mean by wife? Isn't he a little…"
    "Young?" the woman finished with laughter in her eyes. "Child, he is the eldest member of the village, I am the second. Kjolrorarn is the seer of the realms, master of dimensions, as some would refer to him as, he does not know of physical aging. I do not envy him though, it has been a curse he endures watching his wife slowly age and die as he remains young."
    Diana was beginning to understand more of who Kyle was and what he must have endured though she understood nothing of his title or what it meant. She couldn't help but feel sorrow for the aging wife; it must be painful to see her husband never age.

"Do not pity me, my dear girl. I have lived a long and prosperous life beside my husband. Do not pity my husband. He is proud of his accomplishments and he bears his responsibility with rigor and energy and not as a burden. We are at peace."

Sorrow turned to awe and respect; here was a wise old woman who seemed to be farther in wisdom than her husband who came across as forgetful and mischievous.

She followed this woman who had seemed to share some many memories with her, trusting that she was in good hands. She couldn't help but wonder what happened to that man she encountered; she was sure of one thing though, they would surely meet again.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    Chapter 3

"The other council members want you gone," was all that the prince could tell his friend when the court had been dismissed. "Even the elder members agree with the young ones this time. They say you have served them well, but it is time for a change."

Kjiri didn't miss the sorrowful tone in the prince's voice. They had fought long and hard to make it to where they were, now they were going to push him and maybe even the prince out. "Who are they electing to take my place?"

"I never said that you were dismissed from your duties."

"Who are they electing to take my place?"

The prince shook his head slowly and peered off into the distant landscape. How often did they find themselves on this balcony talking about the future of the kingdom? "Friedrich wants your position," the prince finally said at length.

The prince thought he was going to have to hold off Kjiri's anger again, but instead there was only a sigh. Kjiri, though he looked thirteen, was beginning to show his age more and more. "Friedrich is too young."

"I know."

"Can't you stop it?"

The prince looked at his friend as if to say that he could if he would. "They think someone young should take your place. Someone less of a wild card…"

"Someone with less power."

The prince chuckled. "Power is a dangerous thing."

"They fear I have too much."

There was a long pause, and then the prince asked what he had asked for the last several hours, "Why did you bring those humans?"

"I am getting old," was all Kjiri had to say. The prince thought at first his old friend was dodging the question again, but he chose to wait, his friend rarely showed this side of himself to anyone, wanting everyone to think eternal youth came with eternal agelessness. "Despite my appearance I will die."

"Are you looking for the next seer?" the prince asked, getting to the heart of the problem. Kjiri is the longest living seer in history. There have only been three other recorded seers, and all of them were human so all of them died at the end of their generation.

"Seers are never meant to live as long as I have. They are not meant to be as powerful as I."

"I can still kill you."

"In your dreams, prince," Kjiri said his eyes dancing with the flames of youth once again. The flames died out quickly, however, as he peered off into the sunset. He had two humans to take care of. Rynani could only handle them for so long, he needed to get back to his wife. "I will tell you what I have told no other person." The prince quietly listened, this was what he had been waiting for. "There is a darkness coming. The Dread are gaining in number as we speak. The hills are lined with organized armies. They will come pillage and take our women and children and enslave them."

"We will destroy them as we have in the past, friend."

"You and I will not be enough for them this time. The Dread are on the move in the alleys, in the streets recruiting as we speak. You are prince, you will not be able to do anything in your position.
    Even with what we have done the darkness still looms heavy and it is gaining ground. It will seize political control despite how you may fight it. It will trade the light for darkness. No army you summon will destroy it, even with the help of the Bnynar."

"Is there nothing we can do?" the prince rarely liked Kjiri's prophecies. The trouble with seers when they disclose their knowledge is that they never do so without being certain of it. These things will come to pass but that does not mean it cannot be thwarted. They learned that in the past. The future can always be changed. The problem is, this time there seems little to no hope. What can be done to stop such a reign of terror? Cannot even the mighty war mage and seer of the realms stop such an evil?

"That is why I brought the humans. I believe they hold the key to saving our world. I could not tell this to the council for there are some there who have fallen to the Dread. They are its servants now; if I were to tell you everything I know then, they would hunt our only hope down and destroy it. They are safe in my village. The Dread will not attack it so easily, because it has yet to gain ground. The Bnynar will not fall so easily to the Dread, but only for a time. They will be trained, as you have been trained. They will help us overcome the greatest trial we have ever seen."
    "They are humans. Worse they are humans from that world. They have no magic. They have no weapon proficiency. How are they going to help us? They don't even know where they are or understand why they are."

Time was drawing short for Kjiri, he needed to get back before dark. Even though he had said the humans were safe in his village, the Dread tried everything they could to get at his village by night. There would be a fight, and he would be needed. He couldn't tell the prince this. He had his duties now; he couldn't leave whenever he felt like it as he had done before. "You have a year, prince; before the Dread come for your kingdom. They will take the lower cities and then they will take your council. You have been warned."

"What of you, friend, will you leave me to this fate?"

"I am officially resigning from the position of High Advisor. Friedrich will try everything in his power to convince you to destroy my people. You could flee now, but your people need you to fight for their sake. Only you can do that. Know that I will always be here to help guide you, but there are things that I must take care of as well. Remember, I will never forsake you. There is yet a time when you will need me, but that time is not now."

The sun had already set by now, and Kjiri now had not choice but to leave the prince's side. He longed to stay there and fight the battles together by his side like they used to but now each had their own battles to fight and it was about time that Kjiri started fighting his. With a nod, and a pop, Kjiri transformed into a cat and whisked away, time was running out.

Diana followed Kyle's wife to another building and through the back entrance. This house was considerably bigger than the one she had previously stayed at. Doorways and hallways attached many rooms to each other. It reminded the young woman of houses she had been in in America, without the mud and the brick. The house had two stories each with an equal number of rooms. The first floor had a kitchen consisting of a cooking stone and a counter top, a living room decorated with a rug a few chairs and a fireplace built into the wall on one side. There were two large rooms for washing and bathing facilities, which consisted of a large gathering pool and several smaller ones. Finally there was a dining room where a long table was situated with another fireplace built into the wall at one end. On the second floor there were five rooms each outfitted with two beds.

"We house several other families here," the wife said as she walked Diana through each of the rooms.

"What was the house I stayed at if this is yours?" Diana asked blinking in confusing.

"That is the guest house dear, that is far too small to house a single family in our clan," the old woman's eyes sparkled with amusement at the thought that Diana assumed that that small hut would be where Kjiri chose to dwell. She took her to the last room and let her walk around it. It was bare, and though it had two beds it seemed as though no one occupied them because there wasn't the usual clutter of belongings on the floor. "This will be your room. The other two humans have the room down the hall, though I have yet to see them for some time. I wonder where they could have gone," the old woman mused to herself as if it were only a passing thought.

Diana then followed her down to the main floor where she was recruited to help with the meal for the evening. "What is your name?" the young woman asked while they were cutting vegetables for a stew.

"Hmm…" the woman seemed to stop and think for a moment, "my husband did give you a name from your world didn't he? Kyle you said?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"You can call me Rayne," the old woman smiled, "Others here call me Rynani, but Rayne will suffice."

The sun had set and Andre was still stumbling through the back alleyways of the village complaining about the woman he had met. First the cat ruined his job, and now this girl is defending him, could this get any worse? He then thought back to what had happened after he got here. He had demanded that these beasts give him food and shelter. They weren't too giving so he had ended up in this alleyway eating off any leftovers he could find. He ran into the occasional fight where a few likeminded cats weren't too willing to depart with their finds, most of the time Andre ending up on the receiving end of the punishment. It had been like that for several days before, and he was tired of having to scrounge for food. He shouldn't have to do that; after all, he was a businessman from a very important company. He was beginning to learn, however, that in this world, that didn't mean a whole lot.

"Hey," came a snarl from behind him and Andre froze in place. "Aren't you the human who tried to take our food yesterday?" Andre turned around to see three cat beasts stalking toward him, malice in their eyes. Great: this again. He had stumbled upon these three while he was looking for food the day before. He had found the food first but because he had been outnumbered they claimed they found it first. Andre, being stubborn as he was, refused to let them have the last word and found that he quickly became the new scratching post.

"Now to be fair, I did find it first," Andre stammered. What was he saying? Did he really want to end up as catnip?

One of them cracked his knuckles and was the first to advance on the poor young man. He was slender as if he had had trouble eating recently he had little muscle tone and many a Bnynar would not find themselves intimidated by such a creature. His two hungry companions all equally starving followed him. He was about to be eaten and there was nothing he could do but slowly inch his way into a corner. When he felt the wall at his back he began to panic. What was he going to do? Was this the end?

"You know," a sly voice suddenly filled his mind, "you could fight."

"And die?"

"Or you could not fight."

"And die."

"My point so fight like a man. I need a good show."

Wait. Andre knew that voice. He turned his head and looked on his shoulder, and there sat the familiar black cat as nice as can be. He looked back at the three cats coming closer to him; when they saw the black cat they backed away slowly, panic in their eyes. Andre had ran away as soon as he got to this world, so he never knew anything about his companion other than he was great at getting him into difficult predicaments.

"Say, boys, where do you think you are going?" the cat asked.

"High Elder, we are sorry. We were only going to scary him a little, honest."

Kjiri jumped from Andre's shoulder onto a near by ledge. "Have at him then. I'm not going to stop you. You did say he tried to take your food right?"
    "
    I found it first," Andre tried to protest looking at the cat in disbelief.

"Don't look at me, it is your fault after all. I'm not going to save you this time."

"I hate you," Andre moaned dryly as he turned to face the three cat-men that resumed their pursuit.

It was over in an instant. The three lunged for the man at the same time only to find themselves on their backs a split second later. Kjiri had transformed back into a boy and had called his mystical staff out of the rift and with one horizontal swing he had sent all of them flying. All the while, Andre had fallen to his knees closing his eyes in fear. When he opened them he saw the boy with the staff in front of him and the three others scampering away. Kyle grinned as he turned back to him, "Now that is how you scare people like you."

"I hate cats."

"That sounds like a personal problem," Kjiri responded without missing a beat. Andre shot him the fiercest glare he could muster only to be met by Kjiri's howling cackle, "Now if you had looked at those three like that I wouldn't have had to save your sorry hind."

Kjiri offered Andre his hand only to have it smacked away. The boy sighed and then pointed his finger at Andre and with a quick flick of his wrist the young man was to his feet. "It is dinner time, Mama is waiting for us." Kjiri had to get Andre out of the street it was almost dark and it was almost time to show them a taste of what was to come. With a pop, Kjiri became a cat again and hopped on Andre's shoulders. "That way my boy," he said as he pointed with a paw down the alleyway.

"I hate cats."

"Sounds like a personal problem."

Andre finally gave up complaining, he was too hungry to want to argue with that stupid cat any longer. He followed the cat's directions and soon enough they found their way into a house that he had never seen before.

"Welcome back, dear," hollered a raspy old voice from what appeared to be the kitchen.

"Kyle?" Instantly Andre matched the voice with the face and groaned. This again? His day kept getting worse and worse.

Diana walked into the back entranceway and scowled. "You?"

"What do you mean 'you'? You could at least say hello."

"Don't mind him, he doesn't like being catnip," Kyle explained as he leapt from Andre's shoulder to Diana's. "So tell me, is dinner ready? Because I'm starving!"

"Your wife is very kind," Diana said ignoring the question for now as she walked him to the kitchen. "She has been very welcoming."

"Good," he said before he looked over to his wife. A huge grin lit his face and with a single bound he jumped half way across the room into her arms, "Mama! I've missed you!"

Diana blinked confused at the pet name. After a few seconds, she remembered it wasn't that uncommon even in her world. She smiled as she watched the two, who obviously loved each other, Rayne taking on a more cat like expression purring as she held her dear Kjiri.

Dinner passed by uneventful and Diana ended up staring out the window watching the last rays of sun slip under the horizon. Kjiri was the first to break the silence. "Rynani, take these two up to their rooms, lock the doors and join me outside. It is time."

Rayne simply nodded and motioned for the two to get up stairs with strict instructions not to go outside or open the windows. When asked what was going on, she told them that they would find out soon. She locked the rest of the doors and windows and raced outside to meet her husband, forgetting her cane and even the pains of age at the door.

Meanwhile, Andre and Diana sat in a room both too afraid to say a word and both wanting to look out the window but too afraid of what they might find. "I'm going to take a look," Andre declared as he got up and walked over to the window. Diana was not about to stay behind and followed swiftly after him. At first they didn't see anything, all the lights were out including all the lights in every house. It took awhile to make out several figures standing in the main street; the first two were Kyle and Rayne.

"Take your group to the south, hold them off there," Kyle commanded pointing to a two men. He turned to each pair of fighters in turn giving them directions to defend the city. When everyone had taken his or her place, the true terror that was the Bnynar clan revealed itself. The pair looking out the window could only see Rayne and Kyle. Kyle stuck his hand out in front of him and it disappeared only to reappear with a staff as if he had grabbed it from somewhere unseen. Rayne's claws and teeth extended and a tail grew out of her backside. Andre was reminded of the werewolves he had read about in books. Her arms grew longer and her body hairier until what stood in her place was neither woman nor cat but some sort of were-feline.

All was silent for what seemed like an eternity to the two in the window. Then it happened. Everything got darker, as if it was dark enough. Andre and Diana both had to strain to make out dark figures appearing all over the place. They looked like nothing but dark shadows to both of them. But whatever they were, they put Rayne into action. In a blur she was on them, ripping and biting at anything she could find. For being an old decrepit woman only moments ago, she moved with the agility and grace of a cat, but with the malice and spite of a demon. The shadow figures proved to be more than just shadows as blood sprayed from each enemy Rayne sank her teeth and/or claws into.

There were too many, however, and no matter how much she kicked, scratch and fought they soon overcame her until there was nothing left to see of her. She was completely covered in the darkness. Diana felt herself gasp and clinch Andre's arm but he was too entranced by what he saw to even whimper in pain. It was then Kyle who moved, placing his staff out in front of him horizontally. He clinched it hard; not appearing to say anything, but nonetheless light started radiating from his staff. He hissed and gave it one final squeeze before a blinding light pulsated not once but twice, blinding everything and everyone. By the time Andre and Diana's eyes were readjusted to the darkness, they saw Rayne and Kyle racing to aid their companions.

"We need to help," Diana managed to say after the spectacle. Andre looked at her incredulously as if to ask what could they do. "I don't know, it's just they are fighting these things by themselves we have to be able to do something!"

"Can you fight?"

"No…"

"Can you use magic?"

"No…"

"Then what can you possibly do but get in their way? We were told to stay here and there was a reason for that. We are useless."

"I refuse to believe that! You can stay here and cower in a corner but I am going to help them!" Diana exclaimed with all the dignity she could muster. Andre was right, but she was bound and determined to prove him wrong. To prove them all wrong. With that she raced down the stairs and out the door and into the night, leaving Andre there alone, and scared. Andre grunted, he was beginning to hate this woman like he hated these cats, but he wasn't going to let her get all the credit and chased after her.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    Chapter 4

"Take cover!" Rayne ordered as she raced past several villagers that were fighting with the shadows in the street. She slashed through one of the figures, not waiting to see the body fall to the ground before she was on the next one.

A scream from behind her caused the cat to turn on her heels to find a small child crying as one of the dark monsters started toward her. Rayne evaluated the distance between them and her and realized she would never make it in time. She had to try. She looked around for some way to get to the poor child but stopped in horror as she found the dead parents of the child. Anger and sorrow filled the old woman. She knew the child and the parents were old friends of her. She couldn't let this young boy die the awful death his parents did.

By the time she started moving it was already too late. The child was already in the shadow, this one taking the shape of a human. She spat curses as she watched helplessly from the distance.
    It took what seemed like an eternity to the old cat watching as the human figure mercilessly killed the child. Fear released the feline at that moment and she flew into a rage only to be halted by yet another cry. Another one? She turned to see yet another one of her friends overcame by these shadow beasts. They were clearly outnumbered and now that these fiends were turning their attention to her she was doing all she could to just keep herself alive while everyone around her died.

"Rayne!" came the gasp as Diana watched the spectacle in horror. The sound drew the attention of several shadows around her, which started their crawl toward her. Before Rayne could cry out in despair, she caught a fury of motion out of the corner of her eye. The figure was so well hidden in the night, more so then these shadows with their darker hue, she couldn't make out who it was. She knew, however, as relief washed over her. He would make it.

A shadowy hand reached for the terrified young woman, fear gripped her and she couldn't do anything to stop it, she couldn't even run. In an instant a figure stood between Diana and the creature. The last thing the creature would ever remember was pain at the side of its head as a staff made contact.

Kyle finished the slash in a wide arc bringing the staff behind him while placing a flat hand in front for balance. Kyle didn't bother surveying the area; he quickly flicked the palm of his hand straight and tightened the grip on his staff to send pulses of radiant light through the air around him. He didn't wait to watch all the figures dissipate. He ran off in a blur to the next location leaving Rayne and Diana to tend to the wounded, but not before Diana saw the flames in the yellow eyes of her savior which took the breath from her chest.

Andre had lost Diana almost as soon as they left the house. Now he was lost. What a time to decide to go out for a stroll, Andre thought dryly as he walked blinded, trying to be as silent as possible. He stubbed his toe on a large rock that he wasn't able to see and knocked something over as he stumbled forward, so much for stealth. He caught himself on the nearby wall and prayed that no one heard it. Unfortunately, he looked in front of him to see that the noise was enough to alert several nearby shadows. Great, now what was he going to do?

"I suggest you fight. There are some coming from behind you," came the all too familiar mockery from his shoulder. "You are such a noisy boy, do you know that? You could have snuck right past most of them if only you weren't so clumsy."

"You aren't helping right now cat…" Andre hissed as he chose to duck into an alleyway. A dead end.

"You're sense of direction is perfect."

"You aren't helping…" Andre growled as he wheeled around, his back to the wall. They were in the alleyway now, and approaching fast. What was he to do? Was he going to die hearing that stupid cat's laughter?

"You really are useless, aren't you? At least Diana fearlessly rushed into battle, even though she could do nothing. Do you have no bravery?" the voice lost its humor and grew harsher.

"You would do the same thing if you were me!" Andre shot back as he pushed against the wall harder trying to get further away by instinct.

"I'm about to show you something interesting." Kyle hissed before the ground and walls began to sway, the air growing thick around them until Andre could do nothing but force every breath and all went black. To the shadows around them, they appeared to waver in the air in front of them and in the next moment they had vanished.

"Where are we?"

"The void between dimensions" came the response from somewhere in the distance. "Come to me."

"What?"

"Come," was all the response Andre knew he was going to get as he picked himself up. Off of what? He wondered. Everything was black except a ball of light from somewhere far off. He found himself drawn to this orb of light, and started moving toward it. The ball seemed to be moving toward him as well as because he reached it faster than his perception of the distance allowed. The light surrounded him and he was filled with a comfortable feeling before it disappeared leaving him in the same familiar alleyway with the shadows coming toward him again.

"Watch," was all he heard from his shoulder. The shadows didn't seem to notice the two trespassers as they pressed in on a small figure beside them. Familiar yellow eyes locked onto the figures with an intense fire. At first, Andre thought it was Kjiri's grandson, but the familiar fierce spirit of the small child told him otherwise.

"Looks familiar?" the cat on his shoulder asked as he watched intently.

Andre was about to ask what he meant but before he could form the words the child sprung into action picking up a stick at his feet and swinging it wildly. "Get out of my village!" came the small frantic voice.

The shadows overcame the boy quickly and before Andre could see what happened next the scene faded in front of his eyes and he was in the all too haunting void of nothingness between everything.
    Andre found his voice as he floated unhindered by gravity. "What was that?"

"A glimpse of my past."

"Why?"

"To show you exactly what I did when I was as helpless as you were."

"Great, now I feel even more pathetic," Andre scoffed somehow knowing that that wasn't Kyle's intent.

The cat finally appeared in front of him. "Do not test my patience. You are in my realm," the cat warned, his voice losing any hint of youth but now filled with age and wisdom.

"Realm?"

"I am the master of dimensions, I am free to move as I wish. I am the seer of the realms, I control all things past and present. I see all things future, though because they are seen does not mean they are to become reality."

"Are you a god?"

"As close to one you will ever know; but I am not. I am only their servant as are we all." Andre didn't know what the difference was. Kjiri seemed at that moment to have the power of a god, yet he claimed not to be.

"I don't understand."

"You do not have to."

Andre shook his head, this wasn't making any sense; being here didn't make any sense. A thought came to Andre then, remembering the scene he witnessed. "What of the others? What happened in the alleyway?"

There was an audible sigh and Kjiri spoke, his voice tired and weary, "My parents were killed that night. I was left an orphan at that moment though I didn't realize it afterwards."

"What happened to you, those things were everywhere?"

"I was rescued by a monk who took me from my village, and for the next several hundred years I would spend my time searching for answers."
    Andre hoped that Kjiri wasn't about to thrust him into yet another situation. He didn't understand anything as it was. "What of Diana? What of your wife?" he managed to say genuinely wishing that Kyle didn't abandon everyone.

"They are still there. When we return we will be back in the alleyway and you will get mulled by monsters," the taunting edge coming back for an instant.

"What can I do?"

"Fight, fool! I will not save you this time. You must decide to fight for your life if you are to save it! I brought you to this place to show you what you would not realize otherwise. It is far too early for you to see this place, but it was necessary." Kyle's voice seemed to fade away as he continued. Andre was about to call out for help as he sensed the cat drifting away.

Andre blinked as a flash of light nearly blinded him. He felt solid ground return to him, for which he was welcome, but when he opened his eyes he found that the shadows were still coming at him. Did time ever pass? It felt like he was away from hours. Apparently not, he concluded, as he looked frantically around for something around him. Fight. That was all he could think of. He couldn't sense the cat anywhere; he was alone. He needed to survive.

The shadows were just about to lunge at him when he found a thick rod, which he dived for in hopes of defending himself. Unlike the young and spry Kjiri, Andre was nowhere near quick enough and found a shadow in between the rod and himself. Andre's dive was cut short as he forced himself to a stop by putting his feet under him. He stumbled back again his back against the wall.
    The hum of arrows filled the air around him as shadows fell left and right. Who was his savior? He looked up to see one of the villagers with a bow had come to his rescue. He was about to offer his thanks, but before he could say anything the feline glared at him, snarled, and bolted off.

"In the end you couldn't even save yourself," came the cat again. Andre was about to yell, but then he caught the hint of sorrow and disappointment in the cat's voice, which cut him deeper than Kyle's normal mockery.

"What would have happened if no one came?" Andre wondered, but wasn't ready for the answer.

"You would have died."

"Really?"

"Yes."

Horror, and regret filled Andre. He truly was useless, more useless than he thought possible. How was he going to survive this world he found himself stuck in.

"The battle is almost over," Kyle noted as his ears perked up noticing the sounds of battle beginning to wane.

"Did we win?"

"I hardly call this a victory," Kyle scoffed and then he was gone.

Andre collapsed there, the last sight he saw was lightness of the sky as the sun began to rise.

Last edited:
    Back