• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolutions

Dinoyipi

whited out!
    Years
    DISCLAIMER: I have no intentions of starting a religous discussion here. If it turns into that, I can take no blame.

I find that Pokémon evolutions and Darwinism have many differences. First of all, Darwinism states that Evolution happens over millions of years, while in Pokémon, it happens instantly when something happens. Also, according to the RL evolution thoery, the evolved beings lose the genetic code of their 'pre-evos' While in Pokémon, if Pokémon of higher stage of evolution breed, they produce a Pokémon of a lower evolutionary stage.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Ummm, so...what are we meant to be discussing here? :\ If it took a Pokemon one million years to evolve, then yeah... people wouldn't play. :\ And if you are just stating the differences hen, yeah, what are we meant to be discussing? xD

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
    If you haven't noticed, not much makes sense in Pokemon, but if it did make sense, it wouldn't be fun and it wouldn't be as interesting and world-known.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Maybe it means one of the other definations of evolution you know:

Spoiler:

Years
    While the evolution of the Pokémon franchise has its roots firmly in the Darwinian theory of evolution, it does deviate on the points you mentioned. As others have said, not much makes sense in the fandom - with this, I see it as the equivalent to the infamous disclaimer 'based on a true story'. xD;

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Technically, the usage of the word "evolution" is a misnomer in the pokemon fandom as it is actually more akin to spontaneous transformation than biological evolution. :P

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    It's meant to represent the different stages of growth, isn't it? Like, baby -> boy -> teenager -> man.

That really depends on the Pokémon. To some of them, evolution is realy just the Pokemon "growing up", such as Pichu to Pikachu, and such. To to others though, evolution loosely follows the basic definition of evolution (Eevee and Burmy change for to suit their enviornment), and for others, it's just the definition for metamorphisis. (Caterpie and Wurmple.)

Porygon's evolution could be comparable to computers "evolving". Porygon by itself, like a computer, is incapable of learning anything outside of what its programed to learn, and therefore would be unable to change to suit its environment without Conversion, or "improve" by itself. Besides, it didn't take 1,000,000 years for computers to "evolve", now did it?

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
    Darwinism: states that evolution is a form of adaptation of animals in different environment that occurs every passing time

Pokemon Evolution: is more in a form of metamorphosis that is very common to real world creatures a popular example is the butterfly

Idiomorph

Pokémon Geneticist
    Years
    Pokémon 'evolution' corresponds to the loose, general sense of the word, not the modern scientific usage. It's essentially just a speedy metamorphosis.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Probably, intead of using "transform", which usually denotes fast change, they used the word "evolution", just to sound cool in games. Although I have to agree it is related to Darwin's theory to evolution.

Back