• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Exodrake's hack game-related art stuffs

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    To begin with, I'd like to start with front sprites for my (very odd) hack game in progress. Before I do though, I would like to explain the (excuse) plot my universe is based around.

These creatures are not Pokemon; they are manmade, bio-mechanical pseudo-Pokemon which came to be known as "Fordians" (due to the public's misinterpretation of a protestor's satire likening the labs to the universe of Brave New World). These creatures were engineered on a commission basis, and engineered to fit the customer's specifications; if the customer wanted something which looked exactly like their favorite video game character, the engineers would do that. Though "Fandomon" production was shut down due to copyright infringement claims, the Fordian engineers got around this by making things which weren't copyrighted. It wasn't until they began making over-powered Fordians which destroyed the labs that Fordian production stopped for good.

Fordians have many things in common with Pokemon but are bio-mechanical, artificial lifeforms. They are hardier, stronger and more adaptable than Pokemon. When they multiplied and escaped into the wilderness, they drove natural Pokemon to extinction and formed their own ecosystems. This game is designed as an AU of Pokemon FireRed where technology was more advanced than just being able to make Porygon and went too far.

Now that my game's weird excuse plot is out in the open, here's my really odd assortment of monsters (which have sprites; I have many more planned which are original designs). Please note that some of these sprites are very old and due for redraws.
    Exodrake's hack game-related art stuffs

This game is intended as a remake of my first ever pathetic attempt at a hack game, Pokemon SteelEdge, while also serving as a "director's cut" to another intermediate-level game I stopped working on called Fandomon. Fandomon will be bundled with this game when I feel it's finished enough to release it, but it's riddled with bugs so I would only play it for the higher encounter rates of certain species which are very rare in the new game. The new game is called Brave New SteelEdge. It uses MrDollSteak's rombase and also has an original type, the Oil type, among other things.

Here's some concept art of my Fordians:
    Ramboach (it has nipples because its evolutionary family are based on pill cockroaches, which have mammary glands, though this monster also draws from Madagascar hissing cockroaches)
    Spoiler:

Chiraptoro-Z (Chiraptoro-H has sprites but this one doesn't yet)
    Spoiler:

Polteroak (In case you can't tell I really love cockroaches, haha)
    Spoiler:

Hemomerus and Hanswig
    Spoiler:

Stahlarch
    Spoiler:

Garyunoko
    Spoiler:

This video features both concept art of the game's legendary, Shatai, as well as her battle theme, which is an original composition I scraped together in Anvil Studio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXtyDvGuAgY
    It's linked because the embedder doesn't seem to work.

On the subject of custom music, I have also worked on some other songs for this game, but that one is so far my one and only original composition.
    Here's some more custom music which uses existing MIDIs:
    Unknown Battle (Pendulum - Crush)
    Victory Road/Cerulean Cave/Link Battle (Wild Arms 2 - Heimdal Gazzo)
    Title Screen (Wild Arms - Into the Wilderness)

I have tons more development material related to this game to share, but I'll just post this stuff for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hey there! I went in and spoilered your images because some of the stretched the forum and smaller resolutions really don't like it. I hope that's alright!

Since I'm in here though, it would be disingenuous of me not to post a comment. Your spritework is truly something to be jealous of. There's so much depth in your sprites, it's almost surprising how accurate some of them came out. Your fakemon/fandomon in particular are really something special. It's clear that some of them have a lot of time, patience, and thought put behind them, and it's incredible how well they came out. That red, lava, moon creature (sorry for butchering that description) caught my eye immediately. The way you shaded it out and the color usage and the texture your built make it pop from the screen and I felt automatically drawn to it.

Even some of your more playful sprites, like the Strawhats, are awesome. I love how playful and animated some of your sprites look as opposed to the more technical and serious sprites. You've got excellent range as an artist and it's clear you're using it to your benefit!

Anyway, my apologies again for spoilering your images! For what it's worth they are amazing!

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    Ahh no it's quite alright, I should have done so myself since I forget how big those images actually are to people using smaller screens!

And thank you! The planet with the face is actually called Scardonia:
    Exodrake's hack game-related art stuffs

My sprite doesn't actually do its prettiness justice lol

By the way many of the sprites I used dramatic poses for, I did so in order to fit the limited 64x64 canvas better. If I posed them stiffly I would have to butcher their proportions/draw then so small I wouldn't be able to detail them as much as I'd like^^

Last edited:
    Back