• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Exp. Share overpowered?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I was about to post a thread about this, actually.

The math is hard to determine here. It can be argued that half the experience goes to the non-battling party members and half goes to the ones battling. But then, what if five members battle? Does one non-battling member trump the others on experience? Doesn't seem right. I think it gets split among all six (or five, four, etc. if others fainted).

EDIT: So I just checked numbers on a battle. Zigzagoon needs 169 to level up. She gained 123 just now, leaving 46. Math checks out. There must be a strange formula deciding what everyone gets. I'm going to test some scenarios. Will report back.

EXPERIMENT 1: Zigzagoon defeated a Lv.6 Bunnelby for 40 Exp. Azurill gained 20 Exp. Hmm. Next test I'll have all numbers noted and will see what happens to everybody each battle.

Last edited:

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • im not going to be using EXP Share cause I like to have one lower level pokemon in my party for battling to capture wild pokemon, and the exp share will ruin that, IMO

If you go into Sycamore's Lab, there is a woman who gives you the TM for False Swipe. PROBLEM SOLVED.

That being said, I really like this feature. I can breeze through the game without having to grind to evolve Pokémon I know I will never use, like the bugs.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Mine's staying off until I start leveling Pokemon for the Dex etc. I feel like a lot of stuff, like this, has made this game easier than the past.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Mine's staying off until I start leveling Pokemon for the Dex etc. I feel like a lot of stuff, like this, has made this game easier than the past.
    No offense, but using it to level Pokémon for the Dex makes the first half of your statement worthless. I did it the hard way with all 649 in Black. Barring legendaries that need to be imported (and will), I can do it again. I will use this tool, however, as it saves me hours of grinding.

Dark Hole Games

Old School Poke Trainer
    Years
  • I wont be using it for my first play through because I like the time I spend with each pokemon to know their strengths and weaknesses. I too like to keep my party near the same level. Then I train some in my PC when I finish that areas gym.

I don't think its OP, but more so lazy. However if you're just looking to level up quickly than its good to use, but everyone has a different play style :)

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • No offense, but using it to level Pokémon for the Dex makes the first half of your statement worthless. I did it the hard way with all 649 in Black. Barring legendaries that need to be imported (and will), I can do it again. I will use this tool, however, as it saves me hours of grinding.

Also, the "hard" ROM hacks that I've played are not actually hard. They just force you to grind mindlessly for hours before every Gym/significant trainer battle with Pokémon you just caught. I haven't seen much improvement in AI in the past few generations, but maybe that changed with X and Y. Who knows?

The random battles are definitely fun with everyone forced to Lv. 50.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    SUper training the new thing to make your pokemon stronger to you dont need to be level 30 pokemon to beat level 30 pokemon lol

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I'm playing with the Super Training on my Pikachu and a couple of others. One of my birds got to try them out as well. Pikachu is going to be a monster when she's through.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    The thing is theres Exp share and ALSO super training where they make it much easier for casual players to train their EV.

I seen many streams where the player just simply only use 1 or 2 favorites in most battles. But now thanks to Exp share and super training they can just keep a bunch of other pokemon in the party and never be used until needed

Years
  • Well if the endgame level jump is as harsh as it was in Black, I will gladly take a device that allows me to make that grind easier.

I mean, I've spent 6 hours in the game so far (no badges) just lvling people because there are so many options in each route, an exp share designed as they did will help me get moving :)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think I might like this because every Pokemon are now getting equal Exp. Points, which makes training Pokemon to become stronger a little bit easier.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I love the new Exp. Share! Yeah, it may be OP, but I don't care, I find grinding tedious and boring, so this is a breath of fresh air. And there are just so many Pokemon in this game that I want to train, it's crazy, so all the extra experience is very welcome.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I turned it off, but now i have a question:
    Does everone in the party get 50% of the EXP, or is that 50% divided onto the whole team?

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Illustrate
    Lets say you beat a pokemon that gives you 100 exp.
    your main pokemon that beat it will get 100 exp
    with exp share turned on, every single one of your other party members get 50 exp EACH
    so you have 6 pokemon, the exp given will be this:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Illustrate
    Lets say you beat a pokemon that gives you 100 exp.
    your main pokemon that beat it will get 100 exp
    with exp share turned on, every single one of your other party members get 50 exp EACH

That does seem incredibly overpowered. Oh well, i guess people who dont like it can just turn it off

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • I love it. Considering the fact it took me 5 hours of level grinding just to get Weedle/Caterpie/Scatterbug to their 3rd evos without it (Is it me or do some Pokemon get more exp when they battle, regardless of the Pokemon level? Idk how to explain it but it was like the game was practically begging me to use my starter with the old switch-in tactic cause I knew he'd get more exp to split), it's a Godsend. I'm not doing a ton of team shuffling (considering you can catch like 5-7 new Pokemon an area, I'm just catching a few while building my main team first) so it saves me time on getting everyone the same level.

Exoaria

such pokemon wow
    Years
  • Here's the conclusion that I came to.

The progression is slow and the Pokemon are so varied that each route holds a complete mystery as to what you'll encounter. The experience share, when used responsibly allows you to constantly update and reassess your team with new Pokemon so that you're never without a strategy and are able to play with and train a team much larger than 6 "mains". This also makes the challenge of the game much more balanced and feels similar to the depth and difficulty of the unforgiving original games.

It's a pain when used irresponsibly and indulgently. If you're training a team of 6 Pokemon constantly then I'd keep it off, I think the fun of it is that it's so compatible with the wide range of Pokemon that are accessible from the very beginning.

Back