• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Expanding allowed number of characters in player name?

Years
  • So, my name is 9 letters long and I really don't like going by the short form. I am using Pokémon emerald. Is there a way for me to be able to add that one extra character space?
    Also, does the length of the rival name matter? I know I have seen trainers in game with long names so (once I can figure out how, still working on that...) having the [rival] variable as a long name shouldn't be a problem right?

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • first question:
    short answer: no
    haha i'm totally wrong, refer to touched's post
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    The player name is saved in the saveblock so it would be a nightmare to find and change those to load from other region in RAM, so it's not really possible to expand the player's name size without significant work.
    always thought that brendan/may was just in every script but no, it loads from a name in RAM
    betting that it has same size limit as character atm, though. advocating research as i'm currently on ipad and can't do jank </3

Actually it's stored in ROM and there is no real limit (just remember that the text box doesn't automatically wrap text, so you're limited by that). You can just repoint the names at 0x5E8258 (Brendan) and 0x5E8260 (May) to somewhere else and you'll have new rival names. You could even technically rewrite the function at 0800907C to change how to rival names are retrieved, potentially allowing custom, player-configurable rival names.

Years
  • You can just repoint the names at 0x5E8258 (Brendan) and 0x5E8260 (May) to somewhere else and you'll have new rival names. You could even technically rewrite the function at 0800907C to change how to rival names are retrieved, potentially allowing custom, player-configurable rival names.

I have been looking everywhere to try and figure out those pointers for the names so first off THANK YOU. So, what program do I use to do this? xse? And how; do I have to go through every script and find where it calls the check gender if I repoint the names? Do I change what the pointer 0x5E8258 knows to do? I'm totally new to scripting so this is all so alien to me all I know is java and a small amount of python, so sorry if I'm slow to catch on

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • I have been looking everywhere to try and figure out those pointers for the names so first off THANK YOU. So, what program do I use to do this? xse? And how; do I have to go through every script and find where it calls the check gender if I repoint the names? Do I change what the pointer 0x5E8258 knows to do? I'm totally new to scripting so this is all so alien to me all I know is java and a small amount of python, so sorry if I'm slow to catch on
    ok so now i know what i'm talking about and i promise this is correctamundo
    1.) any hex editor (i personally use hxd); you move the name to a new location in free space (making sure to paste-write and not simply paste), make it whatever you want (you can use a text-hex pokémon converter for this), and then search and replace the old pointer with the new one at every occurence (in this case, search for 58 82 5E 08 and replace it with a pointer to your new name)
    pointer mini-tutorial:
    Spoiler:

2.) no
    3.) no
    sorry if not clear with the name thing </3

EDIT: and if you wonder about the function at 0x00907C, rewriting it requires asm or coding~

Years
  • 1.) any hex editor (I personally use hxd); you move the name to a new location in free space (making sure to paste-write and not simply paste), make it whatever you want (you can use a for this), and then search and replace the old pointer with the new one at every occurrence (in this case, search for 58 82 5E 08 and replace it with a pointer to your new name)

Okay. So I have it open in HxD. searched for 58 82 5E 08 which apparently is at the offset 00009090, and also 00624F90. 58 82 5E 08 means X,^. Apparently, according to what HXD highlights off to the right.

FSF has been opened and is standing by for probable future use.

I downloaded the text hex converter you linked, clicked Pokémon hex conversion. I typed the name I want and it gave me the letters next values ("SEAN" became "CD BF BB C8" this is the name I want to replace Brendan) and ("STEPHANIE" to "CD CE BF CA C2 BB C8 C3 BF" for May).

Am I following what I am supposed to be doing properly so far? That's about as far as I got

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Okay. So I have it open in HxD. searched for 58 82 5E 08 which apparently is at the offset 00009090, and also 00624F90. 58 82 5E 08 means X,^. Apparently, according to what HXD highlights off to the right.

FSF has been opened and is standing by for probable future use.

I downloaded the text hex converter you linked, clicked Pokémon hex conversion. I typed the name I want and it gave me the letters next values ("SEAN" became "CD BF BB C8" this is the name I want to replace Brendan) and ("STEPHANIE" to "CD CE BF CA C2 BB C8 C3 BF" for May).

Am I following what I am supposed to be doing properly so far? That's about as far as I got
    perfect thus far~
    fsf is generally going to be totally unnecessary unless if looking for something wih like 0x1000 needed bytes of space or more, just look for like 32 (2 lines) FFs that are't directly at the beginning (later in the ROM, upwards of like 0x00900000
    add an FF to the end of both names (so that the game knows to stop reading the letters there)
    0x5E8260 is may's, so you'll need to repoint 60 82 5E 08 to wherever you decide to put the new data for STEPHANIE

Years
  • so I find the FF area, replace a section of FF's with the hex values that the pokemon hex converter gave me, make sure I have FF at the beginning and end, find 60 82 5E 08 and... change it to the offset of the line I used that I pasted my data at? My sea of FF's starts at 00E3CF70

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • so I find the FF area, replace a section of FF's with the hex values that the pokemon hex converter gave me, make sure I have FF at the beginning and end, find 60 82 5E 08 and... change it to the offset of the line I used that I pasted my data at? My sea of FF's starts at 00E3CF70
    yep!
    do the same for brendan, then, except with a new data place and all that

Years
  • AAHH it worked it really worked! I'm so happy thank you so much this is the best thing to happen to me all day I'm so excited!

Back