• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fakemon by me!

Years
  • Haha, well this is my first thread, and i've been on this site for the past year but have not been doing anything, but anyways the following fakemon are for a hack I am creating, tell me your opinion about em, if they need improvements, mistakes, etc. here is the pokedex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    very nicely done, both of them I like them ^^

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Threads require 4 original pieces of art to be open. Please add at least two more acceptable ones or this thread will be closed.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • Your line art for the most part is really good. What I don't like is the shading. It's "blotchy". And remember that the light source for pokemon is in the top left so body parts closer to the light should be a lighter shade.

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
    Years
  • The first two fakemon you made just look like... fakemon. You should try slightly darkening Clovaleaf's skin, and using fire more similar to the kind on Moltres for the fire bird. You should also darken Clovine's skin.

The names Clovaleaf and Clovalord sound odd, though. Clovine actually sounds really good, but the other two are just two 'Clova's too many. Try to make each name sound unique, sort of similar to how Chikorita and Bayleaf sound nothing alike. I'm not very good at making up names, so I don't have any suggestions, but I think you should do what the english pokemon company does. They basically just get two words, like "Squirt" and "Turtle" then smash them together, with the end result something like "Squirtle."

~Night

Years
  • Wow, thanks guys (and gals) thanks for all the comments. I didn't think the sprites were all that good. You have all been a great inspiration! And plus, I'll try to make more! Oh and Night thanks for the naming help, and Conan for the shading help.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • First of all, good luck with that hack of yours. In addition to what others said, I would advise you not to cover your background with black (the 0/0/0 is still different than the the 12 RGB one used in the pokemon games, but we still can't spot the difference with the naked eye), because the black outlines are covered by that background.
    I'm also curious as to why nobody hasn't pointed that out yet...
    It almost seems like you're getting those sprites right from pe2k without changing the background, which used to be transparent.

So, let's give it a shot:

Anoleaf~
    Pretty good concept+shading. The bad thing is on the body structure, though.
    You made it look like it's going to charge, as its front feet are higher than the back ones. Well, ubless this was your purpose, then you should make them lower, or raise the back ones (though that would make the sprite smaller).
    Also, what's with the left back leg? the belly that actually distinguishes it as the 'left back leg' is gone, and it gives the impression of having 3 feet on the right side...
    Finally, you can raise the tail by a pixel, or two, so that it won't have to collide with the head leaves.
    Now, the outlines are the same everywhere. You should darken them on the points where there is no apparent light source.

Leafrill~
    The comments are almost identical to the previous sprite. The front left leg should be shown less, because it seems like it's longer than the right one - because the body can't fold that much so that both front legs would be of the same size.
    The tail can be moved a little as well, as here it collides with the left back leg.
    Outlines, same as above. Plus, there is no outline variation on the leaves.

Chlorofile~
    This is one great concept. It's like the jungle imprinted on a pokemon.
    The leaves are well-drawn, and there seems to be almost no proportion error here.
    (you can fix the back leg a bit though, to make it look less stiff)
    The outlines, though, remain the same. A lot of work and darker outlines on some spots.
    You can lower the shading on the right front leg, as there is the head leaf right in front of it.
    P.S: is that Feraligatr's jaw or am I seeing things?

Emberd~
    Unlike the previous sprites, this one looks like it was lazy-drawn. You definately need to put some more work into it.
    Its tail is weirdly placed; could be higher. The hands are on a different height scale as well. the fire that is overlapped by the left leg makes the whole area look blurry.
    Finally, it looks more like a monkey, than a bird to me. Mostly due to the beak, chest and legs, oh, and the pose.
    I understand that some of the palette and outline issues can't be fixed, because you are using the default starters' colour palette, but you can always experiment. Use a new palette!

Cindrun~
    Now that's a change. Definately cooler, looks like a raptor bird, with a lot of stuff to keep you busy looking at it. Still...
    The chest pops out like a yellow baloon, is it supposed to look like that?
    Hmm, the tail, though pose-scratched, reminds me of Milotic's.
    The left leg could be raised a bit. And...the back of the neck twist suddenly, therefore doesn't connect properly with the body.
    The outline issues remain.

Burstrech~
    Although this looks amazing, concept-wise, it's not really different from the previous sprite. It almost looks like it didn't evolve at all, just grew angrier.
    So, it's probably the same in terms of outlining as the previous one. The neck, again, twists suddenly.
    Charizard's palette, eh...oh boy. You can do better than that!
    Oh, and I almost forgot, its tail seems fatter than it should be.

Generally, your outlining needs work. You can take a look at other people's work or just at normal pokemon sprites, and get familiar as to how it goes. Since you're drawing 3rd gen style.

Take care, I hope we can see more of your work soon. See you around!

Years
  • Yeah thanks for the help but, I have a question - I know you can use the pallettes of existing pokemon, but how do you make your own?

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    If I were you, I would rethink the name "Burstretch". By adding a hyphen to this, you get Burst-retch...and as you might guess, it calls to mind images of projectile vomiting. Personally, I would try to pick different base words. For one thing, there really isn't much difference between an ostrich and an emu. What about basing it off of an Aepyornis (the Elephant Bird). You might make it taller, long-necked, and 'bottom heavy'. Call it something like "Pyrofant, the Elephant Bird pokemon"...then add dex info about how noble/spiritual a creature it is and let it learn Sacred Fire (to play off of the similarity between the name and the word Hierophant).

Years
  • I really like your concepts, especially the bird ones, though I agree with NiKaNoRoU that you should get rid of the black backgrounds. It makes the lines hard to see and kind of boxes them in if that makes sense. You should try a transparent background, or at least something more neutral like grey.

Years
  • Hey guys, sorry I have not been updating that was because I'm fat and lazy , but I have got a few sprites done , Oh and thanks Prof. Briar for the idea, but I have left the bird idea completely, I'm using a new smilodon/tiger idea ( If anyone wants to use the bird sprites just PM me xD!). Here is the new fire starter and the first normal mammal pokemon you will encounter! Oh and new format.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • The first one looks like it has the face of Shinx. D:

alright, both of the seem to have fat tails, at least at some point, they get fat.

I like the tail fire, though, great scratch. Not bad, especially the evo.

Looking forward to see the 2nd evo.

Back