• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Help Request] Fan Fic Protag Team-Building: I Need Help

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    So I was checking the story-planning document for my fan fiction series covering every game of Gens III through V, starting with Gen III Kanto followed by Gen III Hoenn, and I noticed something about the team. Both of the Gen III protagonists were going to have a water/fire/grass core to their teams, but I decided they were too similar, so I removed the grass-type from the Hoenn story and added a Pikachu-then-Raichu. Now I'm realizing that this would mean two different Kanto mons in the Hoenn fan fiction. (It feels kind of dirty to use a Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir in the one where Rival Wally catches a Ralts. It came down to either Alakazam or Grumpig, and Grumpig's stats are kind of subpar, so...)

Before I get too deep into this topic, I gotta preface this. Lately, I've actually been on the fence about whether or not to betray my original vision of a Pokémon Sapphire Version fanfic by making it based on Emerald instead, but that's a whole other Discussion. I think that the question "Is there room for Ruby/Sapphire love in fan fiction?" should not be answered here because it's kind of a tangent and maybe beyond the scope of this thread.

The protagonist of each story is based loosely on a protagonist. In Kanto, Alexis is largely based on Leaf with some alterations to her outfit and color scheme. I've changed my mind about "Brendan's" team in the Hoenn fic many, many times. The original plan barely resembles the current one. (Why is Ninetales the only good fire-type in Hoenn anyway?) However, these are the current plans. (I already commissioned art for the Kanto story, so some of three of the Kanto party members cannot change.)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

As you can probably tell, it seems I made the two teams too similar what with a water/fire/grass core and a normal-type and a dual flying-type.

Though, now that I'm looking at this, maybe Skarmory is unnecessary. Maybe it'd be better if Flygon had Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Crunch/Fly instead of Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Crunch/Iron Tail.

Here's the big question: Should I add the Viridian Forest Pikachu to Alexis's team in Kanto? I'm not well-versed enough in Pokémon fanfics to know if it's a cliché at this point, but I kind of assumed it is since... you know the anime.

I really want to focus on Hoenn mons in the Hoenn storyline (or at least not have four Hoenn mon, one Johto mon, and only one Kanto mon). Plus, a dual fighting-type would be kind of useful in an actual playthrough of Hoenn compared to an electric-type. I could use both, I suppose, but I'm of the firm belief that ... unless you're playing one of the official Kanto games, you don't need both an electric-type and a grass-type in addition to a fire-type and water-type (in single-player).

What should I replace Skarmory with? (Don't say Aggron. It's a cool-looking Pokémon, but I don't think the rock/steel-type is necessary.) I'd prefer not using Pokemon with a further evolution later on in the series for the Hoenn fic (eg, no Duskclops/Dusknoir). I guess I could add Hariyama to the Raichu version, but I'd still have two Kanto mon.

Someone please help me out here. I'm driving myself crazy.

Small update: I think I've decided how to handle the Hoenn story, but I'm not sure about the Viridian Forest Pikachu turned Raichu. Also, I edited this post to use the correct tag.

Last edited:
    Back