• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Sounds...good. XD Not the way I'd ever come up with one~ I'd have to have everything planned out first =X [Not written down mind you SilverBlade ^_~]. But ya, it doesn't sound too bad.

Ahh, this isn't for rating Dragonfree's plotting ability. XD
    Sounds confusing. o.o; I just plan everything out XD

This is the part where I say something clich?, like 'what works for somebody, might not work for someone else'. XD
    I'M CHARACTER BYPASSING! w00t!

Tsk, you should just expand on your statements from the quote above. XD

My region... I drew a random outline and then put in cities where it made sense to have them. I don't even know what the gyms are going to be like yet.
    *is pounding his desk while laughing* S-sorry! It's just that something struck me as funny about that. 'I just drew a random outline and filled it in with whatever looks good'. XDXDXD

Sorry. XP XD

Anyways, yeah. Did you fix the 'random outline' later, or just leave it the way it was?
    Same. I ended up betaing for one, getting flamed by the other, and getting a 'thanks but I can handle it' from someone esle. I always offer to beta if they really need it.
    Should be an 'almost' at the beginning. The guy who's improving elsewhere still asks me to look at his stuff, 'cause he's into 'by-the-game' fics, but knows that it's not good enough. I think he joined here, but he's never posted. XP XD He's slowly improving on his G/S and originality, so I'm happy. *sighs contentedly* If only all authors were as mature as sixteen-year-olds... XD

'nuther question(yet again): what do you think of songs in fics? As in, one or more of the characters sing a song. What are your experiences there?

?SilverBlaze09?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Sometimes you use songs in fics only for the lyrics really. I treat it only as the same thing as an excerpt of a poem.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    Heh, the plot in The Quest for the Legends is EXTREMELY confusing because of that... it's mainly because since I started writing it at eleven, there were LOTS of plot holes, and I'm so determined not to abandon it that as I grew older and got more reviews I just started covering it all up. For example, I randomly dumped some old parody Fak?mon of mine that for no particular reason looked exactly like Mewtwo (and was named Chaletwo) in the second chapter when I first wrote it, and when I started thinking, "Hey, it's kinda strange for some completely different Pok?mon to look exactly like another one, isn't it?" I, instead of just changing his appearance and pretending he had always looked like that, made up another fake Pok?mon called Chalenor and the reason Chaletwo looks like Mewtwo. And of course, I made up a Gym leader who rather randomly had mysterious psychic powers, and then later I managed to make up a very important plot twist based on that. Actually, I get all my best and most unpredictable ideas from plot holes. I've considered just making mysteries without answers on purpose and then making up the answer sometime later, as then the answers will be much more interesting than if I plan out the answer along with the mystery. But I haven't actually done that - I don't think more sub-plots and mysteries would do The Quest for the Legends much good.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    I honestly don't remember what all of my region looks like. 0_o My brother and I drew a nice map of Auderiall, which I like, but it will be appearing later under a different (and hopefully better) name. I know pretty much all of the eastern coast of Waytar, but that's about it. That's about all my character is ever going to get to explore, so for now that's okay. I'm planning to do a complete map soon, however, in case I should ever want to revisit the region.

I know regions are supposed to be based off of Japan, but I pretty much say, "Screw it, if I want a big volcano here, then there will be a big volcano here!"

Ah, response to concrits. I've gotten all sorts. One kid sent me an angry e-mail about how my review saying that having his character start with a Mew was unrealistic, Stuish and stupid was unfair and that it was his story and he knew best. I sent him an incredibly long e-mail back explaining my point of view and highlighting the difficulties of using a pok?mon like Mew in a fanfic. I never heard back from him...

I've had a couple of people get all angry at me and ignore what I say, even if they asked for help. I haven't gotten any reciprocal flames yet, which surprises me.

I also have betaed a few 'fics.

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    *is pounding his desk while laughing* S-sorry! It's just that something struck me as funny about that. 'I just drew a random outline and filled it in with whatever looks good'. XDXDXD

Sorry. XP XD

Anyways, yeah. Did you fix the 'random outline' later, or just leave it the way it was?

Hey now, it worked :P Lol...

I smooted the corners out, but I didn't change it. I'll upload the map and post a link sometime.

Heh...

It actually came about weirdly. I needed a new region for another fic, but I only made one city. So, when it came time for writing 'Miscon...' I took that city as the basis for the region and went from there.

And yeah, as far as basing fanmade regions on Japan goes... hell with that. I'd like to see a fanregion based on another country... like Egypt or something. Now that'd be interesting... ::guards plotbunny::

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Ugh, one thing should be made clear:

NOBODY SAYS TO BASE FAN REGIONS OFF JAPAN.

If anyone has, please inform me of who they are so that I may stalk them for eternity(or as long as I want).

The only regions I know of that are supposed to be based off Japan are the base ones: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and maybe Orre. Even those have some differences from Japan's coastline.

Anyways, besides that pointless statement, I wish to inform the (0) readers of 'Battlefront: Legacy of the Warriors' and the (2) readers of 'Yet Another Legend From Out of Time' that I'm discontinuing those two. I am gonna take them back to my hideout, fry them, and bring them back with different names, characters, tech and history, with a new region or two thrown in for good measure.

I say this so that the readers don't think I've abandoned them. XD

?SilverBlaze09?

Dragonfree

Years
    Frostweaver, I've posted a new thread for a new revision of The Quest for the Legends and would like you to move the review you have marked down already over to that version instead of the current one. Thank you.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    It dies again... XD lol sorry, too used to SuDCC and the mad Spambots there. XD

Anyway, back 2 bizness... XD

When you think up the title for your fic, what do you try to do? Do you give it a clich? name, so that the thinking will be kept to a minimum? Or do you try to integrate the basic plot in the title? Or do you just put an unrelated word or two as the title because the title isn't important, the content is?

I try to find a key part of something from what I'm basing my fic on. Like YALFOT: it was a parody, so I stuck the word 'legend' in it and said 'yet', to say that it wasn't. XD

?SilverBlaze09?

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    Titles are the work of the devil.

I am so, so bad with titles. So bad. It takes me ridiculously long to come up with a title that describes the plot just enough, but doesn't give anything away and sounds intriguing.

:cringes: So, so bad at titles...

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years

I am so, so bad with titles. So bad. It takes me ridiculously long to come up with a title that describes the plot just enough, but doesn't give anything away and sounds intriguing.

*chuckles* Perhaps there should be a 'FF writer support' for stuff like that. XD

I thought your titles were all right, by the way. XD

I have a harder time just filling in the extra space in my chapters. I'll be writing my merry way, with a coupla awesome and plot-affecting scenes to write, and then I can't think of a way to get my character from the first plot thing to the next part... XPXD

That support group keeps looking better... XD

?SilverBlaze09?

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
    Guilty by Design... it came from a line in a song. I had planned to explain the history of hitmon, why they're always male, how Tyrogue came to be. So they're basically a human created Pokemon. Or, like dogs, they're heavily domesticated and bred to specialized combat. Being a Hitmonchan, Champ's destiny is to be a killer and servant to humans. Hence how the title would have eventually connected to the story itself had I continued it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Act said:

The only title I really like from my works is "End of the Road" basically because it's what happens to a guy while he's driving through a long desert rode. And of course he wants to get to the end, but it ties in better than that ^_~

It's the one Frostweaver is going to review after he gets done with the ones before it~

Actually, I'd post it in other writing...actually, heck, I want to post it in Other Writing XD It's one of my very favorite short stories =D

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    As for Hoenn Mirror World...

Well, I don't care about titles too much. If it has a nice ring for me, I'll go for it.

Regions... I don't really use the ACTUAL region, but I do make them into how I see them in a bit of a "parallel universe". While I've kept the basics of the region, I couldn't help but throw in some add ins. For HMW, for example, there are also sky routes as well land and sea routes.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    I can't believe you guys and your carelessness to titles... Title for a fanfic in a forum (PE2K, SPP, PC, whatever) is the ONLY eye catcher for your readers. Your fanfic's life and death depends on the title. Fanfiction.net got the 2 line short summary text at least, but forums... it's all about the title.

Hence, 5 marks on the Frosty markup for titles alone ^^

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I agree with you Frosty.

If your title sucks, you don't get any readers ;; I've learned from experience =X

Dragonfree

Years
    Titles... X.X The horror...

*cringes* I made "The Quest for the Legends" when I had recently started the story. (First I just called it "my story".) I actually had no idea what the fic was going to be about at the time, and just chose that because it seemed cool and I had written a huge pointless chapter with boring game-like descriptions of all my old, lame legendaries. (I managed to clean a lot of them out; I had already inserted three into the plot when I started the UMR (a certain revision) so I couldn't remove them, but at least Hogia never got in (heck, that wasn't even a mix of Ho-oh and Lugia; it was more like a Ho-oh that knew Aeroblast and Transform for some bizarre reason) and I made up more sensible explanations of the ones I was stuck with existing.) Then much, MUCH later, I made an actual plot which the title could possibly work for. It's still a bad title, and still not quite fitting, but I've never been one for changing things like titles... besides that the fic is about WAY too many things for me to be able to think of a proper title for it. x_X

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    =X Sounds...interesting? o_0 I've never really done that. My first fic was only one chapter because no one commented and I killed it XD It started out with a boy crying on the sidewalk.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46497 <- I'd love some comments =D It's the "End of the Road" I was talking about before. Not that long of a short story.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
    Wow, titles - I love titles. I love names in general ^.^ I always have to make sure the title fits the story somehow - sometimes my stories can go nameless for ages before I find the right one. Generally I try to find a title which has relevance to the story, and that I think sounds good. *twitch* although sometimes 'relevent' 'sounds good' and 'i like it' just don't mesh. So relevence is my priority. Whether I change my mind or not is a different matter - but once a name is stuck, it's there for good.

'Fraid I can't say much about the regions, since I haven't made one (yet. I am planning to, for another of my as-yet-unbegun fics) but I'd probably map out the form of the region using random scribbles, find a shape I like, slap on some landmarks and terrains which look good, and then decide where cities are most likely to be considering the resources of the land.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back