• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon X

Unknow 2 u, death is my rage
Years
  • Well, i happen 2 b witing a story myself about a 15-year-old kid and his adventures in a different time. he is Helkron used 2 b Emodias until a fatal experiment goes wrong and he gains what no 1 else has, super-natural powers. thesse adventures will continue when im finished.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    I've been thinking about writing a contestshipping fic with the storyline (sort of) of the Butterfly Lovers. I'd obviously have to twist the story a LOT to make the characters not OOC and everything..

It would be.. interesting at least. I'd read it and see if I liked it or not. ^_^.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
  • *pops in* Duuude, this place is quiet.

Duuude, more quiet than usual.

Duuude, anyways, I gotta question for all you duu-SMACK!

Wrong time of day for intelligent thought, sorry.

Question: Have any of you noticed the current trend among 'good' authors to write these parodies about what the 'n00bs' are supposed to be writing? And have any of you noticed that the characters and stories they are parodying (sp?) are rarely that blatantly, uh, horrible/Mary-Sueish/wishy-washy?

I was just wandering around and noticed that. The n00bs are bad and horrible, but a lotta people keep mixing the newbs in with the n00bs and parodying them both. It kinda tells the newbies that, if they aren't at a certain level that is set by some hard-talking, deep-cutting reviewer that has been around X number of years more than the newbie, they aren't good enough to be acknowledged other than in a parody telling them that their characters and descriptions need to be cut apart or in a review that cuts apart what they've worked so hard on and thought so much about and put all their current skill into.

It's something I've been thinking about, especially after reading several fics of said sort by numerous authors, including Farla, Scrap and the guy who did 'The Adventures of Tyler and Magmar'. (which I have read through twice and have come back to look at parts of it over and over)

Sure, parodies are hilarious, but most of them are intended to be so at the expense of somebody else. Not only that, but it also occurs to me that the parodies are getting to be generic: one is almost exactly the same as the next. I mean, yes, the n00bs need a little ribbing to point out what they've been carrying on the end of their noses, but to what extremes are the 'expairt' reviewers/authors going to go before they have enough?

Of course, I AM generalizing. But it's something that's been bugging me after reading several badfics and the replies therein from good reviewers and several parodies by said reviewers who are also authors.

Hmm, early mornings seem to be so introspective for me... Perhaps a bowl of sugar would help... XP XD

SilverBlaze09

P.S. What da hey? What's with this weird little code thingy at the top of the page that won't lemme look at the rest of the posts? It keeps jumping me over to single posts. Who ordered this, and where can I sign the petition to throw them and their codes to the... Uh... Lemme think... Hold on a sec... MUFFINS!

*sweatdrop*

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • All the parodies I read are either...horrible cliche (for even a parody!), or just bland and uninteresting. On relatively rare moments will I get a laugh if it's original enough.

I don't read parodies much anymore these days. >__>; Sorry. XD

And yes, this place IS dead. .__.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • I've written a parody. ^^;

...Er, I think it's in the fanfiction of the month sub-forum.

In the sequel to that story though, it gets inside the experience fanfiction authors head and the new writer's head as well and how they feel. I'm not sure if that fic is still alive actually... *goes to check*

Yay it is.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • A good parody does not directly attack an author, but a concept. A parody that clearly bashes a particular author or story is not really a parody; parodies are exaggerations of concepts in order to point out their weaknesses.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "parody" if you're talking about people being mean to newbie authors.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
  • Negrek D gr8 said:
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "parody" if you're talking about people being mean to newbie authors.
    Nein, I speak not of being cruel, nasty, downright cruel to particular newbies.

It's something far worse. It's the generalizing that I see.

For example, you know how almost all the non-humor-specific parodies (by humor-specific parodies I mean anything that's just having fun with the games/movies/show/other canon, not the 'This is Mary-Sue and she's a perfect character because that's the way I made her) involve one Mary-Sure (quite literally, in some cases, and the rest have a representitive of her or her brother) and her either overtly angsty pasty or her perfect looks. In either case, she seems to know that she's in a story.

The point I wish to point out is that no newbie does that on purpose. Make a character like that, I mean. They just want to make a character like what their favorite authors have put in their favorite stories and yet they want it different. And, because many of the newbies are relatively young, the differences they put in because of a genuine desire not to have clones of characters running around tend to be a tad larger than life. This is where the overly gloomy pasts (father, mother, friends all dead, nobody loves her/him, nobody cares, etc.) and the overly perfect (generally blond, white, blue-eyed, etc.) come in.

So these newbies come on-line with their works of fictional literature and post them, expecting a 'well-done' or at least a general fix-it job. They have little to no idea that they are one out of a million newbie authors among many millions of n00bs that write just like them.

How, I wonder, are they supposed to know what we are talking about when we say their stories are 'n00bish'? They haven't looked around at the stories that we tell them their stuff resembles because they just wanted to try and fit in with the stories that everybody likes.

And so, with little to no idea what a n00b is and almost no idea that their work of fiction isn't original, is it any wonder that they are mystified and,dare I say it, angry when somebody comes on spouting stuff about 'Grammar and spelling and plot and title and don't you know how to write and please read the example fictions in this thread'.

*shrugs* I guess I'm just wondering why so many reviewers review a twelve-year-old newbie the same way they review a twenty-year-old, five-year-experience established author.

Ir maybe I'm spouting smoke to cover my secret preparations to take over the world and turn it into a giant fanfiction...

SilverBlaz0e9

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • 0_o I guess I don't get what you're saying about parodies, then. But as regards to reviewing newbies different than more established authors, I both agree and disagree. Newbies should probably be treated more delicately and walked through things a little more, as they're largely unfamiliar with fanfiction and the terms and concepts that it involves. I remember the first time I had one of my characters accused of being a Mary-Sue; I didn't know what the term meant, and was therefore confused by the review. So yeah, be gentler, and do explain what you mean instead of just spouting "OMG WTF n00b, this is such a Sue with no plot" or something at them.

HOWEVER, this does not give anybody the right to post something that's in netspeak, abuses the English language horrifically, or is otherwise just an eyesore. Pretty much anyone knows that this is just being lazy; I don't think that even the most confused kid in class would try to submit a school essay written in such a careless way. If there's a 'fic that manages to break the forum fanfiction rules, which are really quite lenient, on account of their story is an incomprehensible string of symbols, then I think it's perfectly appropriate to close the offending 'fic, explain that there are serious presentational issues to be worked out, and point out the rules or some sort of "advice" thread and encourage the author to read it. Because when somebody writes that way, it's inconceivable to me that they could believe it to be their best effort or a good piece of work; therefore, they are intentionally posting it in tripe form.

Years
  • I just wrote up a fanfic story of XD001 in which i started today. The title of my fanfic is The Rage Of Shadow Lugia XD001. Well I'm gonna be posting it soon hopefully and I would like some criticism of what anyone would think about it. Thanks

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • I need minor help.

For a promised story I am currently working on, does anyone know Brendan's last name in Japanese? o_o; I know his first name is Yuuki, but otherwise, I couldn't find the information anywhere.

Also, does Haruka have a known last name? o_O;

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • For those of you who still care about HMW's existence, I'm REALLY sorry to say that it's possible that the fic got a really ugly death. Apparently, my recently bought USB drive that I have all my HMW notes were stolen at the airport (along with all of my GameCube games). Hopefully, my USB will turn up. If not... well, Mariah and the others will be missed... right?

*crickets chirp*

Anyway, I WILL be working on some other fics: a non-Pokemon one that I'm currently keeping secret and a Pokemon one that I've recently thought up. The basic plot is about these kids ending up traveling back and forth to the real world to some imaginary world (where pratically almost anything can happen).

Other than that, if you like randomness, a bit of comedy, and all of my favorite series bunched together in one fic a handful of anime references, then I'm hoping you like this fic. :P

BTW, I can't help but notice but... did Frostweaver and Lily break up?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Strawberry Delcatty said:
    did Frostweaver and Lily break up?

What did you say? =D

<><><>

Hmm, heh I guess we did... let's pray that it'll change, shall we?

もうしばれく側に居て下さい
    イテクダサイ...

I want to scribble something too... how come all of my writing is either really crappy, or they only come at these times?

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • "Oh, pfft, e-drama. Get a life & a girl, frosty. *nodnod* ;3;3;3[/dact22saimpersonation]"

Good luck on your next fic, Ms. Ichigo~

Hmm..I was afraid they didn't have any last names. ~~; But frosty, some of the characters do have definite last names, i.e. Gary Oak, Samuel Oak...etc. >D

Pity, though. Now I'll have to think of new last names...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • In english, yes >>; I guess that all the professors and their relatives also have a last name... =o

Brendan's last name is "Birch" I suppose, if we base it off the anime where Haruka is the daughter of the gym leader and the "rival" is the son of the professor.

Oh shush Lily, just shush~ ;___; *sulks*

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Does Norman not have a last name?! ;_;

Yuuki Birch sounds a little..off...Sigh. I'm not very fond of making up last names.

Haruka...Haruka ..er.. ._.;

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • I was going to give May a last name of Syra (a play on syrup) as a pun for the Maple name I heard she gets.

Do you make any food with a birch, though?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • "May" gets a lot of last names as Maple, but I've never heard of "Haruka Maple" yet~

If anything, you should look up Professor Birch's name in japanese, then use that japanese word as Yuuki's last name ^^;

Zerodius

Celebi, she who mean business!
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2008
    Well...

A few fics are coming soon to this forum and here are the previews!

-Rejected-
    A millenia has passed since the journey of the legendary Ash Ketchum and the world has changed dramatically. Pokemon known as "Defects" now walk the world... and those Defects happen to be immune to Pokeballs and to wield powers unlike anything regular Pokemon can wield. This story is in first-person as a Defect, approaching the age of twenty years, is about to meet a Defect who will change his life... forever. All he had ever asked for was for happiness and freedom... and now, he's going to embark into a journey of unbelievable proportions.

Rating: R (mature scenes, both violent and sexual, included. You have been warned)

-The Weakest Link-
    Years have passed since the creation of Mewtwo, the Legendary Pokemon of Darkness, by Team Rocket. Giovanni, whose memories were erased by Mewtwo after their final battle, found strange records in his computer database of experiments he remembers nothing of... and as he read them, everything comes back to him. A new experiment begins...

Rating: undetermined (but will be at least PG-13... will probably be 16+ or even R because of violent scenes)

Well, that's all for now. Comments? Suggestions?

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Lily...I think im on the verge of Finding Brendons second name...and i always thought it was May Birch!

EDIT: Looking in past books i own from when i was younger it says: Brendon Birch!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back