• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Question] Fantasy rpg

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2020
    Hello there.

First off I am completely new to the world of rom hacks and fan games within pokemon. I am doing research into what would suit my project best when it comes to a dev kit.

My first question I ask myself is about the feasibility of using rpg maker and pokemon essentials in a fantasy setting. I am wanting to use the battle system from pokemon in a fantasy rpg. A lot of flack has been going around rpg maker games because of how similar they are to one another due to a myriad of reasons like the stock assets and music. From what I have seen from a tutorial I skimmed through for specific information new tile sets can be imported into essentials, attack animations can be changed and the ease of use make this seem like the best option for me.

I am making this post specifically to know if there could be any legal or criminal charges against me for using essentials as a base for a fantasy rpg or if the battle system isn't protected by the pokemon company and Nintendo in this specific case due to it being a fan made system based off of pokemon.

My idea has nothing to do with pokemon or any Nintendo product rather being an original universe set in a fantasy world. I would be using the battle system, general game play and systems from pokemon essentials but rework the genre, style and universe into something different.

The reason why I would be doing it this way instead of making a game directly in rpg maker is because of the flack that rpg maker games get, the rock paper scissors battle system and the item/ability systems. I am aware that there are plugins and other options to code in a similar system into rpg maker however this project started as an emerald rom hack and I would like to keep the general gameplay systems the same. Along with the fact that I have no coding experience. I do understand that there is a need for coding with essentials in certain circumstances and I will be learning how to do just that.

For my specific ideas I would like to build a game that will be put out for free set within my own world devoid of anything to do with pokemon but I don't want to make just another generic rpg maker game. I want it to stand out a bit as something different.

Would me using this system to build a different type of game cause any trouble or am I free to make something in the style of pokemon using these tools?

If you read this thank you and I appreciate any advice, feedback and answers.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Since you're going to release your game for free I don't think there will be any problems if you reskin everything so that it's the Pokémon battle mechanics, but with all of your own assets (e.g. move/item/ability names, animations, "Pokémon" sprites, etc).

The reason why cost matters is actually nothing to do with Pokémon, and instead because Essentials itself forbids selling things.

Back