• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Faux amis

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Remember that Mew behind the truck? Pressing A+B for better chance of capturing a Pokémon? Did you ever fell for that fake information about the games? Do you still mash A trying to catch a Legendary?

For a long time (longer than I'd like to admit) I wad looking at every dumb fake post on internet on how to find Celebi in Crystal. I remember spending hours in Ilex forest trying something I've read online. Never got that Celebi, too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I remember thinking you could catch a trainer's Pokemon if you threw enough Poke balls, I wasted a lot of time chucking hundreds of poke balls.

Last edited:

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I remember thinking you could catch a trainer's Pokemon if you threw enough Poke balls, I wasted a lot of time chucking hundreds of poke balls.

Lmao really? I never saw that one! Where did you get that rumour? Internet or Real Life friends?

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Lmao really? I never saw that one! Where did you get that rumour? Internet or Real Life friends?

Heard the rumor from a girl in my class years ago, I even saw her catching a trainer's pokemon on Pokemon Platinum without an action replay and believed it to be true.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • While I never fell for any of the "rumors", which often never were provable or reproducible, I did develop a number of personal superstitions.

DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE NOT FACTS, BUT PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.

The first was early on, a relic that I observed. The public facing Trainer ID is a very important value; and I am extremely fussy about it. I delete files that generate "666", "13" or "444" as any substring of my ID. This is due to my observation from Ruby in which I never found a shiny in over 450 hours of play. Originally this file had an ID of 10513

My experience has always shown a history of bad luck when ominous numbers appear in the TID. Therefore they are banned for most of my fun playthroughs.

Secondly, I've noticed a distinct difference in play across-the-board when you select gender. Female characters always seem to get better encounter rates for female Pokemon. I always had trouble with capturing female Pokemon as a male character, invariably I'd be swimming in a team full of testosterone driven male Pokemon for no apparent reason, even when encounter rates were 50/50 for the species.

Even playing as a girl, I still find the weight of male Pokemon too high. It's annoying, but less so, as the girls actually do appear when I am too a girl.

Third, Shiny encounter rates are ridiculous. I've always thought that seeing a shiny was a good thing; however there is a big price. I have seen it enough to know; YOU SHOULD NEVER CATCH A SHINY IF IT IS A SUPER COMMON SPECIES AND THE FIRST YOU'VE SEEN ON THIS SAVE! You WILL doom yourself to no more shinies this way. Observed in Emerald, with my shiny Spinda named Emerald. She was not only shiny, but female as well as the first shiny I encountered. I never encountered another shiny again in Emerald. Ever. Even after 1000 more hours of play on that copy. The First Shiny Is Sacred. Do not Capture unless it is rare.

I also had my most incredible ball and capture luck when I did this simple trick: Tapping A in sync with each rock/wiggle of the pokeball.

Dont ask me why this works, but it does. However your timing *must be within a half second of the ball wiggle.* If you screw up the timing or the game lags, the ball pops open.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    i remember it was THE THING to mash A as fast and hard as you could when catching pokes because it was supposed to up the catch rate lol

there was a lot of frustrated 4th graders at my school (including me)

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Heard the rumor from a girl in my class years ago, I even saw her catching a trainer's pokemon on Pokemon Platinum without an action replay and believed it to be true.
    Do you know how she did that? o_O Maybe it was a hacked cartridge...?
    DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE NOT FACTS, BUT PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.
    Secondly, I've noticed a distinct difference in play across-the-board when you select gender. Female characters always seem to get better encounter rates for female Pokemon. I always had trouble with capturing female Pokemon as a male character, invariably I'd be swimming in a team full of testosterone driven male Pokemon for no apparent reason, even when encounter rates were 50/50 for the species.
    Omg! I also had that reflexion MANY times, I didn't think anyone would notice that as well o_o Maybe we're just sensitive to it, but I really do feel like I get more Females when playing the girl!

Melody said:
    Third, Shiny encounter rates are ridiculous. I've always thought that seeing a shiny was a good thing; however there is a big price. I have seen it enough to know; YOU SHOULD NEVER CATCH A SHINY IF IT IS A SUPER COMMON SPECIES AND THE FIRST YOU'VE SEEN ON THIS SAVE! You WILL doom yourself to no more shinies this way. Observed in Emerald, with my shiny Spinda named Emerald. She was not only shiny, but female as well as the first shiny I encountered. I never encountered another shiny again in Emerald. Ever. Even after 1000 more hours of play on that copy. The First Shiny Is Sacred. Do not Capture unless it is rare.
    As a Shiny hunter/RNGer, I find this pretty funny! Most of my Shinies before hunting were common Pokémon, like Hoothoot, Wrumple, etc. Never got a Shiny in those games again. Then I got a Shiny Fungoos and a Shiny Fennekin in X, nothing else. But in Sun, my first Shiny was a Gible, and I've been soooo lucky with Shinies in that game after that!

i remember it was THE THING to mash A as fast and hard as you could when catching pokes because it was supposed to up the catch rate lol

there was a lot of frustrated 4th graders at my school (including me)
    Hahaha I think a lot of people still believe in that ([user]Graine[/user] wink wink).
    I did it a lot too when I was younger, but now I kinda believes it brings bad luck o_o

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    The only ones I heard about was pressing A or B repeatedly to affect the capture rate and that you could go into space by talking to the man in the Mossdeep Space Center to catch Celebi EDIT: Deoxys. I'd have to wait 10 years before it became a reality.

Last edited:

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    The only ones I heard about was pressing A or B repeatedly to affect the capture rate and that you could go into space by talking to the man in the Mossdeep Space Center to catch Celebi. I'd have to wait 10 years before it became a reality.

Ooh I remember the Space Center one, too! But wasn't it Jirachi? iirc it said you had to talk to him on the 100th launch... I remember I missed it and it was over 100 lauches ;^;

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    Ooh I remember the Space Center one, too! But wasn't it Jirachi?
    It was Deoxys in my school, not sure why I said Celebi. Might be thinking of a different rumour.

I only got to 86 I think. Gave up after that and starting wondering about the white stone outside the Space Center instead. Very out of place with the rest of the tileset.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    It was Deoxys in my school, not sure why I said Celebi. Might be thinking of a different rumour.

I only got to 86 I think. Gave up after that and starting wondering about the white stone outside the Space Center instead. Very out of place with the rest of the tileset.
    I also 100% thought the White Stone had something to do with Jirachi/Deoxys. There was also a rumour about Mirage Island or something, with Mew in it I think. It's so frustrating, I never understood as a child how a Pokémon game couldn't possibly include all of the Pokémon :(

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Not sure, maybe it was. Enough to fool me, though I'm pretty gullible.

Hmm I recall Action Replays at that time didn't need to stay in the console ; they'd be activated then removed so maybe it was it! Could've fooled me too, seeing is believing after all! It kinda sucks those people would do that though :( I really wanted some trainer's exclusive Pokémon back then ;^;

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • As a Shiny hunter/RNGer, I find this pretty funny! Most of my Shinies before hunting were common Pokémon, like Hoothoot, Wrumple, etc. Never got a Shiny in those games again. Then I got a Shiny Fungoos and a Shiny Fennekin in X, nothing else. But in Sun, my first Shiny was a Gible, and I've been soooo lucky with Shinies in that game after that!

I've always suspected that through some quirk of the code, the game always guarantees you one shiny, then quits generating them as easily somehow. It's as if it's actively trying to get you a shiny frame at first and then falls back on standard PRNG?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • It was Deoxys in my school, not sure why I said Celebi. Might be thinking of a different rumour.

I also 100% thought the White Stone had something to do with Jirachi/Deoxys. There was also a rumour about Mirage Island or something, with Mew in it I think. It's so frustrating, I never understood as a child how a Pokémon game couldn't possibly include all of the Pokémon :(
    Its actually both Deoxys & Jirachi I think. Apparently, once the Space Station has reached a certain amount of successful launches into space (55, 99 & 100 I suppose), the player will be able to ride on the next rocket into space, where they will be able to catch Jirachi & Deoxys. Sounds good, except for the fact that the rocket isn't coded for that & theres no space level as such to speak of. One small step for man no giant leap for Trainer-kind, lol {XD}.

Pika Pika :chu:

Last edited:

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • I heard that Dratini can evolve into Yoshi and Lickitung into Luigi haha.
    Ya I heard those. Apparently, if you captured Lickitung in special type of Pokeball, while holding your Gameboy upside down and give it a Rare Candy, it evolves into Luigi.

It was more complex for Dratini (rather Dragonite) to Yoshi. Two players with Red/Blue, had to beat the games, with all 150 Pokemon captured. The players had to trade them, evolve it into Dragonite and trade back. Then you had to go to the Unknown Dungeon, carrying a Fire Stone, Surf to Mewtwo's location, use the Fire Stone on Dragonite and viola, Dragonite evolves into Yoshi (of course it does not :P).

I think it was all part of an April Fool's joke, but people actually fell for it, lol {XD}.

Years
  • Ya I heard those. Apparently, if you captured Lickitung in special type of Pokeball, while holding your Gameboy upside down and give it a Rare Candy, it evolves into Luigi.

It was more complex for Dratini (rather Dragonite) to Yoshi. Two players with Red/Blue, had to beat the games, with all 150 Pokemon captured. The players had to trade them, evolve it into Dragonite and trade back. Then you had to go to the Unknown Dungeon, carrying a Fire Stone, Surf to Mewtwo's location, use the Fire Stone on Dragonite and viola, Dragonite evolves into Yoshi (of course it does not :P).

I think it was all part of an April Fool's joke, but people actually fell for it, lol {XD}.

OMG, I did try that for Lickitung, but nothing happened haha.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • OMG, I did try that for Lickitung, but nothing happened haha.
    You are not the only one who did that I'm sure, lol :P.

Another interesting thing I heard was that there was a secret area full of rare and exclusive Pokemon, that could be found by accessing the vacant lot behind Bill's House, North of Cerulean City.

garden.png

Notice the gap behind the house. I think that's what started the rumours. Tbh, I did find it weird and thought that maybe there was something to it.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I heard that Dratini can evolve into Yoshi and Lickitung into Luigi haha.

I've never heard that one as well lol, how weird would it be to have those two battle as Pokémon! Haha, Go, Mario! I Choose you!

Back