• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Feedback on custom trainer sprites

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    Hi everyone. For the project I'm working on, Pokémon Blackguard, I desperately needed a few custom sprites so I tried my hand at making some. I just want to introduce by saying that I can absolutely not draw, which should become very appearant if you look below. So I based the sprites on existing sprites, and tried to copy or be inspired by other existing sprites, but I have had to do some custom work.

The goal was to create front/back sprites and OW sprites for the player character, the rival and a more advanced grunt of the villain team of the game. This is what a simple Team Essence grunt looks like:
    qeD0Js1.png
    hI1zA9D.png

It's a cold storage worker trainer from BW. So the goal was to have this style and these colors on other sprites. I begun with the rival:
    g7IAlqb.png
    43laSeY.png

I copied the hair from the striker trainer sprite from BW for both the front sprite and the OW sprite. All in all, not particularly complicated and I think it turned out pretty well if I may say so. Next up, I wanted to make a very slighty adjustment to the hooligan sprite from BW to turn him into a Team Essence henchman:
    Spr_BW_Hooligans.png

8Blp9W6.png
    O4seTSo.png

A simple recolor of the pants, although I'm pretty satisfied with how the back turned out. I replaced the Sandile crest with Patrat, which is an iconic pokémon for Team Essence. Now the most complicated sprite and the one I'm most conflicted about, in particular because it's so prominent when playing, the player character sprite:
    sCrkzvs.png

m6Quwh9.png

FF0wDSs.png

l1KhQ69.png

I think the OW sprite is alright - I tried to mimic as much as possible from the cold storage worker sprite. I think the facing up pose is the worst. I couldn't really get the hoodie to look alright, nor the hair. I'd really love some input here.
    The backsprite was a real challenge, because there was plenty of custom work that had to be done, actual drawing. I'm satisfied with the first two frames, but I couldn't get the hoodie to look good on the last two frames. I mean, it looks tiny, no way that dude can pull the hoodie up over his head.

All in all it was pretty fun but very challenging, as I've got next to no experience with spriting. Now my questions for you: What can be improved? Is this on an acceptable level at all? Is this something I can put into my game? I'd also really appreciate any tips or resources you can share regarding spriting, as I'll likely end up having to work more on these and for future sprites. Thank you!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I think these are very successful sprites. In fact, I think you're skill level is high enough that you can move past merely recoloring them as well. I see you did so with the last sprites by removing the hat, but I honestly believe you can push these further than that into making truly custom characters built more on scratch. To answer you, yes, these are acceptable on multiple levels. I do hope you continue to practice and push yourself though. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    I think these are very successful sprites. In fact, I think you're skill level is high enough that you can move past merely recoloring them as well. I see you did so with the last sprites by removing the hat, but I honestly believe you can push these further than that into making truly custom characters built more on scratch. To answer you, yes, these are acceptable on multiple levels. I do hope you continue to practice and push yourself though. :)

That's very encouraging, thank you so much!

Back