• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Fickle Level Script

Lunacrest

has ninja'd: 2600
Years
  • Hi, there.

So, I'm doing a Level Script, and it seems to be fickle.

There's a Scientist inside Mt. Moon, who has this script.

Spoiler:

[/SPOILER]

This is meant to avoid having the level script activate early. The script itself is meant to trigger after the Gym Battle against the Cerulean City Gym Leader, who runs off upset at the loss. Her father, the Rocket Grunt in front of the gym, then immediately runs after you, and asks you what happened.

However, after I talk to the man, occasionally what happens is that upon entering Cerulean City, the game freezes and produces the sound that you make when you yank out the cartridge while the game is still playing.

After resetting, however, when I talk to the scientist, and enter the city, everything's fine, and the script runs perfectly. After I beat the Gym Leader, the gym Leader runs off, and the father does his thing, and everything after works perfectly, using the var 4064 for the level script. Sometimes tho, resetting after that freezes the game sometimes.

Initially, I thought it was because I accidentally activated some wild battle, because that's what happened the first time. After resetting and avoiding the grass, it worked perfectly. However, that was quickly disproven by the third reset, where the script failed and the game froze once more.

Any help would be lovely.

Here's the level script itself.
    Spoiler:

And here's the Gym Leader's script. Flag 0x271 is meant for the guards blocking Cerulean City (not relevant to the problem I think).

Spoiler:

I hope it's not something like the var, because I thought 0x4064 was safe. If it is, that would be a wonderfully easy fix, but I don't get why it's fickle when it works occasionally.

Last edited:

Thoriére

[i]If everything's a dream, don't wake me.[/i]
    Years
  • I hope it's not something like the var, because I thought 0x4064 was safe. If it is, that would be a wonderfully easy fix, but I don't get why it's fickle when it works occasionally.

If you think there's any chance it's the var, I'd recommend redoing the script with a different one and running a couple of tests with the changed script to see if the issue still presents itself. Like you said, if that's the case the fix would be incredibly easy, so I recommend giving it a shot even if it seems unlikely that that's the cause.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Spoiler:

This is meant to avoid having the level script activate early. The script itself is meant to trigger after the Gym Battle against the Cerulean City Gym Leader, who runs off upset at the loss. Her father, the Rocket Grunt in front of the gym, then immediately runs after you, and asks you what happened.

However, after I talk to the man, occasionally what happens is that upon entering Cerulean City, the game freezes and produces the sound that you make when you yank out the cartridge while the game is still playing.

After resetting, however, when I talk to the scientist, and enter the city, everything's fine, and the script runs perfectly. After I beat the Gym Leader, the gym Leader runs off, and the father does his thing, and everything after works perfectly, using the var 4064 for the level script. Sometimes tho, resetting after that freezes the game sometimes.

Initially, I thought it was because I accidentally activated some wild battle, because that's what happened the first time. After resetting and avoiding the grass, it worked perfectly. However, that was quickly disproven by the third reset, where the script failed and the game froze once more.

Any help would be lovely.

Here's the level script itself.
    Spoiler:

And here's the Gym Leader's script. Flag 0x271 is meant for the guards blocking Cerulean City (not relevant to the problem I think).

Spoiler:

I hope it's not something like the var, because I thought 0x4064 was safe. If it is, that would be a wonderfully easy fix, but I don't get why it's fickle when it works occasionally.[/SPOILER]

IDK if you know this or not, but setting your var 0x4060 0x0 means that the event can reoccur forever. Setting it to 0x4060 0x1 will have it occur only once ... IDK if that is your intention or not but just letting you know.

Also a level script for this is a little excessive. Try combining it like this:

Spoiler:

The pauses are to give it a small delay. That way you don't have to waste time doing level scripts and wasting a var on the event.

Back