• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

File corruption.

Which types of pokemon games delete themselves more?

• GBC (R/B/Y, G/S/C)

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • GBA (FR/LG, R/S/E)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • DS (HG/SS, D/P/Pt)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    I've been reading peoples' horror stories about losing their game files amongst the "times you wanted to destroy your <insert game here>" threads.

This made me wonder which games are more suceptible to spontaneous file deletion and what the best ways are to prevent it. it also made me uber paranoid about losing my Platinum data. <_< >_>

So does anybody know which of the three game types take the worst heat, what causes each of them to be suceptible to file corruption, and what should be done to keep any of the game types from losing data? Thanks.

Years
    Basically it is the older ones. The only way to corrupt the new ones is by really hacking it,a nd even then it is hard. Dont worry about your Platinum, just dont put it in them microwave or in the washing machine XD

Years
    Basically it is the older ones. The only way to corrupt the new ones is by really hacking it,a nd even then it is hard. Dont worry about your Platinum, just dont put it in them microwave or in the washing machine XD

Yes but once, I put my platinum in and tried to start the game and it had a blue screen which said something like "the save file could not be accessed. restart your DS and try again."

Recently I've been having problems with my DS recognizing that there's a cart inside it. Could that be why this is happening, and could it threaten my game?

Years
    Possibly. If you find that its like that for all your games, then i think it is time for you to get a new DS. Hey, Xmas is just around teh corner! ;3

Years
    Possibly. If you find that its like that for all your games, then i think it is time for you to get a new DS. Hey, Xmas is just around teh corner! ;3

Fortunately it isn't. It's too bad the DS still runs cartridges like everything else nintendo minus the gamecube and wii. CD type stuff is way safer, plus with memory cards you can make multiple copies of a save.

I have no idea why Nintendo couldn't have just used a disc-like game container and used the DS's GBA slot as a memory card sort of thing. And the DSi shouldn't interfere with that because supposedly it has an internal storage system which could work the same way.

Years
    I've never had a third-gen Pokémon game (played them, but never actually owned them) so I can't say whether they stuff up a lot. The original Gameboy games stuff up the most for me. My Crystal is the only one that still works.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I've never had a third-gen Pokémon game (played them, but never actually owned them) so I can't say whether they stuff up a lot. The original Gameboy games stuff up the most for me. My Crystal is the only one that still works.

Lucky you. Mine corrupted... again. I corrupted my Pearl by using a hack. Defintly regret it. :(

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Yep . Glitches (mostly Tweaking..) and hacks ruin Gen IV Games ...
    My friend ruined his Blue long ago . He popped the cartridge out while the game was playing , then the next time he played *poof* the save file was gone ! <__>

ShinySilver

Johto Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    Yep it's definitely the older games that break. My Gold version corrupted many years ago, but my Emerald still works fine.

Lucariotoes

Ah-woo.
    Years
    Never had it happen to me because I haven't had my Pokemon games long enough, but for some odd reason my friend's Silver crashed before his Blue, the latter still running these days.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    Throughout my life i've had.. um... let me count:
    FireRed, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, another Emerald due to my first one getting stolen by some jerk and Platinum. That's 6 games. (Yes, shame on me for never playing Gen I or II. I know. I fail.) None of them ever restarted without me doing it.

I guess i'm lucky.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    My friend's imported Soul Silver crashed while it was saving and can't read it's own settings anymore. It's broken to the point that it doesn't even start up. My friend just gets a blue screen whenever he tried to boot it up.

daf

Years
    The original Gameboy games stuff up the most for me. My Crystal is the only one that still works.

This. Crystal was the last one of Gen II I bought, and it was also my least played, so I'm not terribly surprised it works. Back then, I used an a Mega Memory Card to back my files up...not sure if there's device that will do that for the GBA games, but it is theoretically possible to back up DS games on a flash cart over WiFi. Kind of difficult from what I've read, but if you Google it there's some good information on the process using the CycloDS cart.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Fortunately it isn't. It's too bad the DS still runs cartridges like everything else nintendo minus the gamecube and wii. CD type stuff is way safer, plus with memory cards you can make multiple copies of a save.

I have no idea why Nintendo couldn't have just used a disc-like game container and used the DS's GBA slot as a memory card sort of thing. And the DSi shouldn't interfere with that because supposedly it has an internal storage system which could work the same way

Have fun scratching your disk every time you try and put it into your pocket. >.>

Anyways, the worst that can happen from most save-file corruption in DPPLHGSS is the deletion of all your progress before a "complete" save.

RUSEFRLG also has a back-up feature, but sometimes things can go wrong with it and it corrupts anyway, wiping out your data all the same. Course, at that point, the cartridge is usually battered up.

RGBYGSC has it worst, if you make one mistake while saving, your file is X.X

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    None of my games have had any problem yet. My GSC work great still, as well as my LG and Emerald.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    my red version still works.

my brothers yellow was destroyed by Pokemon Stadium. The Connector Pak came out while it was uploeading

Years

Have fun scratching your disk every time you try and put it into your pocket. >.>

Anyways, the worst that can happen from most save-file corruption in DPPLHGSS is the deletion of all your progress before a "complete" save.

RUSEFRLG also has a back-up feature, but sometimes things can go wrong with it and it corrupts anyway, wiping out your data all the same. Course, at that point, the cartridge is usually battered up.

RGBYGSC has it worst, if you make one mistake while saving, your file is X.X

Firstly, this is why you would have mini CD cases. =P

Could you elaborate on how DPPt/HGSS would delete all your progress before the save completed? I'm curious as to how the game mechanics would work.

Back