• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Finding Feebas (Guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    Finding Feebas (Guide)

Finding Feebas
    (v1.2)
    Motsuko Live

Hey! Motsuko Live, once again.
    This is my first guide, so bear with me! Today, I will be guiding you through catching the Pokemon Feebas. This guide is not 100% gauranteed to get you a Feebas, but it will certainly raise your chances of finding one. So without further ado, let's begin!

Ahh, Feebas. For such a shabby Pokemon, it's certainly a hard one to get! Why, you ask? The answer is simple: It evolves into Milotic, that mermaid Pokemon so many of us have seen. Yes, Milotic is definatley one for the records. While it's attack stat may not be the greatest, it has an incredible Sp. Defence and pretty decent HP, making it a great Special Wall. So how do you get one? Well, like all great things, we must start small and work our way up. Our starting point here, is Feebas.

FAQ

What is a Feebas?
    Feebas is, obviously, a Pokemon. It's like a Magikarp; useless when caught, but extremely powerful when evolved. The only difference is it's harder to find. A lot harder to find.

Why is it so Special?
    Well actually, it's really not that special. The only special thing about it is that it's so rare.

What is Milotic?
    Milotic is what Feebas evolves into. Milotic is what we hope to achieve by the end of this guide.

How do You Evolve Feebas?
    Feebas is a strange Pokemon to evolve. I will cover evolving Feebas in this guide, also.

How Long Does it Take to Find a Feebas?
    That all depends on how hard you work at it. It took me about 30 minutes to find one after using the techiniques I'll cover in this guide, but it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 23:59 hours. Why 29:59? We'll cover it in this guide.

What is the "FFF Routine"?
    I will cover this thoroughly in this guide.

Tools

Required:

A Fishing Rod: Either the Old Rod, Good Rod or Super Rod will work. A combination of the Super Rod and the Good Rod work well, but any will do. I wouldn't recommend using an Old Rod. The Old Rod, Good Rod and Super Rod are found by speaking to fishermen in Jubilife City, Route 209 and Route 255 respectively. (You need the National Dex in order to obtain the Super Rod).

A High Level Pokemon: You will be encountering level 45 and below Pokemon, so a Pokemon at level 50 or above is required.

A Pokemon With the Move Surf: A Pokemon that knows the move Surf. A few Pokemon who are Surf compatible are Buizel, Psyduck, Seal, Shellos, Sneasel, Tentacool and Wooper.

A Pokemon With the Move Strength: You will need to use the move Strength to get into the area where Feebas is. Just catch a Geodude or something.

A Pokemon With the Move Defog: You will need to use Defog to clear up the chamber Feebas is in. A few Pokemon who are Defog compatible are Wingull, Zubat, Pidgey, Stunky, Starly and Drifloon.

Poke Balls:
    If you plan on catching the Feebas once you encounter it, Poke Balls or obviously a must. You can also use Quick Balls, Net Balls, Ultra Balls, Dusk Balls, Repeat Balls (if you plan on catching alot of them), and Nest Balls. These balls will work most effectively. I would recommend about 30 Quick Balls and 10 Ultra Balls.

Optional:

Poketch + Poketch App No. 4: Poketch App No.4 is available when you recieve the Poketch. It is a Pedometer, also called a "Step Counter".

Super Repels: They don't have to be Super Repels. Any Repel will do, but you get the best deal on Supers. Also, Repels will save alot of time. If you follow this guide, you shouldn't need anymore than five.

The Feebas Factor

Ok, now that we have everything we need to catch a Feebas, you're probably wondering how we will catch one. To explain this to you, I'll start by introducing you to the Feebas Factor.
    The Feebas Factor is the reason Feebas is so difficult to obtain. Feebas are only found in one location; the Basement of Mt. Coronet. However, the tricky part is they are only found in four random tiles of water that differ in each copy of Pokemon: Diamond/Pearl. Also, you must fish for it; You can't just surf around until you find one. Sounds tricky, doesn't it? Well it get's even trickier. The four random tiles change daily. Yes, that means that if you start searching for Feebas at 00:00 in your game, if you fail to find one of the tiles Feebas is in before 00:00 the next day, they will reset and appear in four new locations. So, if you start Feebas searching at 00:00, you basically have 23:59 hours to find one. But don't don't worry, it doesn't take that long. Well, atleast not when you use The "FFF" routine.

The Method: "Fish, Fish, Forward!"

Getting in Starting Position

Now some of you may be freaking out at this point. Yes, finding a Feebas sounds very difficult, but it isn't as hard as it sounds. All it takes is time and patience. So how do you do it? You're about to find out.
    First off, fly to Celestic Town. From the Pokemon Center, head west until you get to Route 211. Continue west, past the trainers untill you get to the entrance of Mt. Coronet. Enter it.
    Once inside Mt. Coronet, throw on a Super Repel. Head north until you get to the big rock. Use strengh to move it up, then once a path is cleared, continue going north. Follow the path, and go down the stairs at the end. You are now in the basement of Mt. Coronet; Home of Feebas.
    Upon entering, use Defog to clear it up. Continue north until you come to the first set of stairs to your right. Go down them and continue north until you get to a dead end. Face east and use Surf.
    Surf as far north as possible, then as far west as possible. You should end up in the top-right corner of water. This is the starting position. But wait! Before you begin, get out of the water and on to the strip of land just north of you. Run along this strip until your Repel wears off (If you used one). Without using another one, get back in the water and Surf to that top-right position again. Face west. You are now in the starting position, and ready to start Feebas hunting.

Check in spoiler for a screenshot. (EXTREMELY LARGE). Sorry for bad quality.

Spoiler:

Ok. Now for the part you've all been waiting for; Catching Feebas. I'll explain the first few actions in steps, then I'll explain the "Fish, Fish, Forward!" routine.

First Steps

1. Register the Super Rod. (Or the Good/Old Rod, but the Super Rod is probably the best choice in this situation).

2. Throw on another Repel. (Trust me, this will save ALOT of time. It should almost be considered a mandatory item, seeing as you can shave off maybe an hour by bringing Repels to keep unwanted wild Pokemon at bay).

3. Reset the steps on the Pedometer. (I'll explain why in the "Fish, Fish, Forward!" section).

The "Fish, Fish, Forward!" Routine (FFF)

Yes, I know; Stupid name. Whatever, I needed to come up with something fast. Anyways, the "Fish, Fish, Forward" (or FFF for short) is the routine you'll be repeating over and over again in order to find a Feebas. Let's begin.
    The objective of the FFF is to determine which Pokemon are in a specific tile. You do this by fishing once, fishing twice, and then moving forward onto the next tile. Sounds simple? Well, with 400 tiles to FFF on, it can be a little time consuming. In fact, let's conduct a simple experiment to see exactly how time consuming it can be.

I want you to fish once. Yes, take the Super/Good/Old Rod and fish in the spot you are in now. Start counting in seconds from the time you swing your rod out, to the time you reel it back in. (note: You have to encounter a Pokemon while doing this. If you don't encounter a Pokemon, reel in and try again, counting seconds this time too. Repeat until you find a Pokemon).

Ok, once you have your time, record that number on a piece of paper or something. I'll be using the number 25 as an example, So anytime you see the number 25, input your own data. Now, let's do a little math:
    It took approx. 25 seconds to fish, go through the battle scene and return to a normal screen. Since we must do that twice for every tile, multiply 25 x 2. We get 50. So now we're at 50 seconds per tile. Seeing as there are 400 tiles to FFF on, we now multiply this number by 400. So: 50 x 400 = 20,000. Now we know it takes us 20,000 seconds to FFF every tile in the area. Since we're using seconds, to convert to minutes all we need to do is divide that number by 60. (Ah, we finally found a use for the Poketch calculator :P). 20,000 / 60 = 333.33333333 (repeating). Ok, so it will take us approx. 333 minutes to FFF on all tiles. Now, let's divide that number by 60 again to get the amount of hours it will take us.
    333 / 60 = 5.55. There's our answer. It will take us approx. 5 hours and 55 mintues to find Feebas! What? That's ridiculous? Well yes, it is. But remember! This is the maximum amount of time it will take us. This is only if we have to search search all 400 tiles, which we won't have to do, because by the time we get to the the 400th tile, we'll have atleast found three of the other tiles Feebas is in. Get it? You may want to read this section twice if it doesn't make sense the first time, as this is the most crucial part to finding a Feebas.

So now that we know how time consuming it can be, let's do it! Press why to ise your rod. Got one? Good, now see what it is. Chances are (if your using a Super Rod) it was either a Gyarados or a Whiscash. You don't have to battle them , you can just run if you'd like. Once we find our first Pokemon, fish again! Yes, just do the exact same thing! But what if you didn't encounter any Pokemon? Keep fishing. The point of FFFing is to figure out which Pokemon are in which tiles. We can't do that if we haven't encountered any Pokemon, can we? So keep fishing until you get atleast two encounters. Done? Move forward to the next square. Congratulations! You've just FFF'd your first tile. It's that easy! Now, this is where the Pedometer comes on handy. As you may have noticed, by moving to the next sqaure, you set the Pedometer to "1". You can refer to this to see how many tiles you've FFF'd. Why is this helpful? Well, with 400 tiles and four of them Feebas Tiles, the ratio of Feebas Tiles to Regular Tiles is 4:336. This basically means that for every 100 tiles you FFF on, you'll find one Feebas tile. Yeah, pretty bad odds if you ask me. The Pedometer is helpful because it shows how many tiles you've FFF'd on. So, when your Pedometer says "100", you've probably already found (or are close to finding) a Feebas Tile. But remember; The Feebas Tiles are positioned randomly by the game, so it is possible for all four tiles to be next to eachother (although the odds of this actually happening are 0.00252525, so don't count on it).

Ok, the basic movement for FFFing is this:

X = Starting Position
    > = Direction

|v<<<<<<x|
    |>>>>>>>v|
    |v<<<<<<<|

Does this make any sense to you? Let me explain it. After you FFF the first tile, move forward. Keep doing this until you come to a wall. Then, don't move south, just face south. FFF again, and then move south. Face east and start over again, this time going to the right of the screen. Continue this pattern.

Last but not least, when you find a Feebas Tile, you'll know it. When you enter a Feebas Tile, your odds of finding a Feebas go from 0% to 80%. A major change.
    Feebas will appear at any level between 8 and 30.
    By the way, you don't always have to fish twice. You can fish as many times as you'd like, but two seems to be a pretty reasonable number.

Found a Feebas Tile. Now What?

Ok, so you've followed the FFF routine, and it's been about an hour and you've finally found a Feebas Tile. This is where you switch to the Good Rod. The Super Rod was used to FFF because of it's high hook rate. But now that you know exactly where a Feebas Tile is, you can whip out your Good Rod. Why? Well, no reason really. I just find it easier to fight level 20-30 Pokemon than level 30-45 Pokemon. Anyway, once you decide on a rod to use, CATCH, CATCH, AND CATCH SOME MORE! A lot of people think that just because Feebas is hard to find, it's hard to catch. Not true. Feebas is very easy to catch, and can be caught with ease using an Ultra Ball or a Quick Ball on the first turn. But remember; you only have until midnight when the Feebas Tiles change again, so make sure you catch all that you can carry. When I found my first Feebas Tile, I caught about 30 of them. And if you run out of balls, that's fine. Save the game, make a mental note of where you're Feebas Tile is (or write it down), exit the cave, buy more Poke Balls, re-enter the cave and catch more Feebas. If you forget where your tile is, turn off your DS and you'll restart right where you saved; in front of the Feebas Tile.

How do I Find Feebas Again?

Well, I'm sorry to say it, but you'll have to do this whole thing over again. That's why it's best to stalk up on Feebas when you have the chance

How do I Evolve My Feebas?

Feebas is a very strange Pokemon. It has no set level, nor any stones to make it evolve. It doesn't require high friendship, and you don't have to trade it. So how do you make Feebas evolve? Raise it's beauty stat.
    The beauty stat is a contest stat. Feebas needs 170/200 beauty to evolve into Milotic. You can up it's beauty by feeding it certain Poffn's. Poffin's are made in Hearthome City with berries. Here is a more in-depth guide on making/using Poffins (Credit to Myst Erik Ery).

There! That basically wraps up my guide to Finding Feebas. Remember, this is only v 1.2, so if you see any errors, please PM me. Also PM if you'd like some further assistance. Until next time!

Sincerely,
    Motsuko Live

Last edited:

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Just a couple of points:
    *You keep swapping between Milotic and Melotic
    *You called Milotic a special sweeper, when im sure you meant special wall.
    *I wouldnt recommend recommending a good-rod, it catches far more varieties of fish than SR, lowering the already low chance of finding feebas.
    *I'd recommend recommending fishing a higher quantity of times, as feebas statistically appears less than half the time. 5 is a better number.

Other than that i cant find any problems, its a very good guide. Hopefully a mod will notice this and put it in the FAQ :)

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    Thanks for the review. I'll change the Milotic/Melotic right now. but about that Good Rod point. The Super Rod catches Gyarados, Whiscash and Feebas (if in a Feebas Tile). The Good Rod catches Magikarp, Barboach and Feebas (if in a Feebas Tile). You can catch the same amount of Pokemon using each rod. lol (except Old Rod). Anyways, I just found I'd find more Feebas using Good Rod than Super Rod, but it's really up to the user to decide. And, actually, using the Good Rod, Feebas will appear 80% of the time. Yes, I tested this: By fishing 10 times, I found Feebas 8 times. I tried this 10 times (so I fished 100 times :P) and I got this result 70% percent of the time. the others were around 5-6.

lostprophetsown

chatot,lucario and lance lover
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2013
    gratz on getting this as a sticky and waas really helpful got so dame pee`d of trying 2 find 1 of these things was really helpful

gilgaland

Who Ate all the cheese
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2010
    wow awesome guide this will help alot not me (all i did was find milotic ob wi-fi and breded) ahhhh i love being lazy

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys! I know that most people knew how to get one, I just wanted to put into perspective how long it would really take. Hopefully it helps alot of people though :P.

And @ gilgaland: Yes, it's a funny story with me, actually...I was just about to go and do that, then I said to myself, "Ok, one more tile, then I'm just going to go trade somebody for a Feebas/Milotic."
    It turned out that the next tile I FFF'd was a Feebas Tile! It was pretty cliche ( <-- not to sure if I used the right word there :/ ):P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back