• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Time Spriter: C&C Welcome!

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2009
    Hey there guys,

I'm pretty much brand new here, and I figured what the heck--i'll try a revamp :)

For the record, it's a G/S/C Vaporeon into FR/LG etc. colours.

It's my first, so apologies if it's a bit sloppy, but any C&C is welcome!

Cheers,

BlackFox

Last edited:

Zee.kthxbai

Sweet Supine Surrealist
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2009
    So it's a recolor.

Ya didn't mangle it with too many colors, or by trying to add lame special effects. It's a fine example of upgrading a sprite to a higher quality. I do want to say however, as for as spriters qualifying themselves, outside of the Pokemon niche, NOBODY considers recoloring a form of worthwhile sprite art.

Splices are on the bare edge, some people see them as immediate hack work unless they're heavily edited, others see them as beginner ways of spriting. In my opinion, you're not really a spriter until you can make your own custom work. Doesn't mean you have to make them all the time, just have to have the ability.

Uh, back to what I said earlier : it's good, but not great. It could've used a bit of retooling on the lineart once you finished. Just some edges could be trimmed or smoothed here or there. Overall, not awful, by any means. You did well... in... color replacement?

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply :)

So it's a recolor.

Ya didn't mangle it with too many colors, or by trying to add lame special effects. It's a fine example of upgrading a sprite to a higher quality. I do want to say however, as for as spriters qualifying themselves, outside of the Pokemon niche, NOBODY considers recoloring a form of worthwhile sprite art.

Oh ok. Yeah I can see what you mean--maybe i misinterpretated the concept of a revamp...? The only additional alteration I suppose I made was the shading--to fit in more with the FR/LG/R/S/E style.

Splices are on the bare edge, some people see them as immediate hack work unless they're heavily edited, others see them as beginner ways of spriting. In my opinion, you're not really a spriter until you can make your own custom work. Doesn't mean you have to make them all the time, just have to have the ability.

OK, that's fair enough. I saw splicing as kind of the next step up I guess: figured for the first one i shouldn't attempt it 'til i was confident enough, as all I have to work with at the mo is MS Paint, but when I do, I'll make sure it is 'heavily spliced', don't worry :D

Oh and for the record, don't worry--i don't consider myself a spriter, I just thought I'd have a go with something like it.

Uh, back to what I said earlier : it's good, but not great. It could've used a bit of retooling on the lineart once you finished. Just some edges could be trimmed or smoothed here or there. Overall, not awful, by any means. You did well... in... color replacement?

Thanks, any C&C is good to me, and for my first shot, yours is really helpful! I'll try to work on those pointers from now on, and try to move on from this 'lesser' art onto something a bit more creative XD

Cheers!

Black Fox

Zee.kthxbai

Sweet Supine Surrealist
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2009
    Of course I replied quickly, I understand how annoying it is to wait forever for replies.

I'm glad you're accepting of crits, not many are. Those who aren't are simply not artists, they're in it for the adoration and nothing more. I'm sure you're creative enough to do your own work once you want to try. In fact, the fastest way to improve in pixel art is to try and do 250x250 sized graphics and work every angle of it you can. It's larger than small ones, so mistakes are blown up, and not too large so you've got to focus on certain areas of certain sizes. As always with pixel art, practice conservation of colors. Nothing more ugly than a beautiful graphic, but has well over two hundred colors. Yes, we can see over 18 million different colors, but does that mean contrast has to go flying out the window?

But I digress. Good luck, and thank you for reading.

Back