• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Try at D/P/ Shading

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    First Try at D/P/ Shading [***Updated***]

Mugshot added

Scratches:
    Spoiler:

I'll finish the last one soon

Reposes:
    Spoiler:

for sake of comparison, here are some of my old works using RSE shading
    Spoiler:

Yea, feel free to CnC Just not the old works

Last edited:
    Years
    The concepts are decent. The first one actually looks like a pokemon.

The first one needs more shading on the body. It should not have the same shade all the way around, when your light source is in the front-top-left.

The second one... no. The red glow is not working. If you insist on having it, which I wouldn't recommend, then leave it on the head thing. The legs are strange and rough-looking, and having like 5 different colors on each leg isn't helping any. You have blue, red, black, yellow, and that strange lavender that you're using as the highlight color. I think that it's too drastic of a shift between the base blue and that highlight. Not sure why the head thing is outlined in blue instead of gray, but I'm not liking it. Otherwise, the shading itself is actually not bad. Just a few little... distractions. Anatomically, it's a bit strange how the legs connect to the body, but.. most of it can be easily fixed.

ThePastaThrower

...Is adding extra meatballs..
    Years
    The shading is actually quite nice.

For this one, vary the outline so it's not all the same color. For the purple body, extend the darker shade to avoid flatness. On the top of the head the outline needs to be rounded just a little bit more. For the eyes, shade around them and use shading for the actual eyes, too, not just black.

It IS a good sprite, you should be proud of yourself.

Here, the head is quite nice. I don't necessarily like the red glow, but it's your choice. Maybe some small polishing otherwise, I don't know.
    The tentacle to the left going diagonally upwards has a somewhat bizarre pose.
    For the other tentacles, spread them around so they're not lined up, and avoid the pillow-shaded look by taking advantage of your light-source.

Remember, one light-source for almost every sprite. Two makes it much harder, so one is better.
    I like this one too by the way. Keep it up!

This one is awesome. I don't think I've got anything to add except that the fin above the head is a little oddly placed, since Magikarp only has them on the sides.

Looks good, but a little flat. The outline on the bottom is too black and a little jagged.

Your old works:

The first and second have somewhat bizarre poses. I do like the second one very much. The shading is quite decent on all three.

Very nice work, man! Don't take offense from my nit-picking!

Keep it up!

Last edited:

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    omg your really good, like the others said I love your shading. Hey you wanna be a spriter for my game? It's in the Game Development section in Plot and Story called Pokemon: The Darkness

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    errr... recruitment, i dunno. I'm part of team neblua already and the last time i tackled more than one game, they all failed (not cuz of me) and i ended up leaving pc for a bit. lemme check ur work first and I'll get back to you

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
    Octopuny: Love it. It looks like a Pokemon Nintendo made. I can't find any faults in it.

Occupus: Like it, but the tentacles need a little work, but otherwise, I could see that in a Pokemon game. (Sort of...)

Magikarp: Love it. All you did was move the tail and reverse it, but it still looks great!

Caterpie: Love it more than Magikarp. Why? Because all you kept was the head instead of the whole body, and you made the rest. That's what I like seeing. Mind if I use both Caterpie and Magikarp for my game, Pokemon Spirit Chrome?

Back