• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Flying Pokemon?

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    It gives the pokemon abilities to do more moves. I think it would be at a flying types disadvantage if it wasn't able to attack with more then flying moves. Most like Pidgey evolutions and Fearow evolutions are known as flying types who can also do enough normal type moves to be considered both. It helps most with the combo of flying and another type to have a better chance against a type it is weaker against such as ground types etc.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    That they can, the majority though are known though for other types and can learn more of them then normal, or use them. Such as mixes like a water/physic type like Starmie or Fire/Flying like Charizard. They start off with normal moves but as they grow, when Charmander becomes Charizard it inherits more fire types moves along with flying. Plus its wings maks it ideal for it. While other birds like the Pidgey evolutons and Spearow are known primarily for flying. However, they also gain normal attacks along the way such as quick attack, whirlwind etc. And mostly the others is flying. And if you look at what you can teach those bird types HM wise, it is overwhelmed by normal attacks.

FalconJoker

Joking with the Devil
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    Thing is though, pairing flying with normal negates a fighter resistance they should have. I agree. They should have just straight flying Pokemon.

Alec_

Years
    Because they are usually Normal Types. They could just able to fly. So Flying Type was added. Including the Flying Type Skills. Right?

~Fairytales.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I think it might have something to do with Gen I, and how moves like Gust and Whirlwind etc were Normal-type moves and not Flying-type. Pidgey being half-normal type meant it gained STAB from Gust.

But yes, i'd agree that there does at some point need to be a pure Flying-type.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, it just makes a pokemon more versatile than to just have to stick to one type.

Ayselipera

type pokemon. If not a pure flying type
    then I would like to see a different kind of
    flying combination then we have already seen.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Its because most Pokemon which are flying type are based on Pigeons/Sparrows/whatever, all of which are very NORMAL birds. Others (such as Moltres, Charizard, Tropius) have obvious types that go with them. Arguably, the only pure flying type that I think you cou;d have would have to be based on a tornado or something :P Possibly a bird that isn't elemental but isn't 'normal' such as a giant condor or something

Ayselipera

Only combination that doesn't exist is Flying/Fight, and then there is pure Flying, but all the other combos have already been done.

Ohh I didn't realize how many there were.

Back