• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Flying recommendation?

SonicWiz

The Anti-noob
    Years
    I recently started a new file on Emerald, and id like a recommendation for the flying-type pokemon of my team. Id say Altaria, but ive already got one on my Pearl file. Any ideas?

Darke Hawke

Trainer of the Shadows
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2008
    I'd say Taillow, because you can get it early in the game, when it evolves , It has good stats, and looks cool... I is also a good choice because it learns Arial Ace, so you don't have to use your TM.

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
    It depends, really. If you are willing to work for it, Salamence would be a great choice, minus the fact that it has double weakness to Ice-type attacks. Swellow is decent, since you can get it early, and can be quite useful.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    It depends, really. If you are willing to work for it, Salamence would be a great choice, minus the fact that it has double weakness to Ice-type attacks. Swellow is decent, since you can get it early, and can be quite useful.

Eh. Mence is the best, but is SO predictable. then again, it doesn't get any better ingame than Mence.

NessStar3000

Ever Perpetual
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    I would pretty much suggest with the above: either Swellow or Salamence. Both species have a high ATK rating if I do recall, but I'm sure Salamence has more ATK than Swellow.

Darke Hawke

Trainer of the Shadows
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2008
    That is correct. Salamence has a higher Atk rating compared to Swellow, but Swellow's speed is one of the highest.

Yeah, Swellow has a high speed and only week against rock, electric and ice, while Salamence is weak against rock, dragon, and double-weak against Ice. Salamence would be harder to train because you don't get in the beginning of the game, so you won't have as many trainers to fight as you would with Swellow

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    I say Salamence.
    In my game I use him, it took me ages to get him and to train him up to the level of the rest of my team, but he was pretty beastly when it came to the Pokemon League, he also helps to deal with like Kingdra...

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I've heard Dodrio (raised from the Doduo in the Safari Zone) are a good option as well. Sure, you don't get it early, but it's fast, its Attack stat is awesome (110 base Attack FTW!), everything except Speed and HP is higher than Swellow, and its movepool is actually sort of decent. The only downside is that Dodrio's base Speed is the same as Salamence's.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    On the flip-side: Dodrio is a real glass cannon. If it doesn't KO, it most likely dies to the counter-attack. .__. It's a cool pokémon, though, and definitely worth consideration ingame because it's easy to raise and because STAB Drill Peck and Return are brutal, but it has serious trouble with standard physical wallers (even moreso than its sweeping comrades), which sort of limits its usefulness. It beats Swellow any day, though, (85 Atk with a lackluster movepool is not tremendous, peoples.) because the ingame AI is way too random for you to predict status accurately and the only thing that really gives Swellow a leg up on its competition (other than Endeavor) is its ability to absorb status. Dodrio has it beat in both movepool and statline because it doesn't matter how fast you are if you don't have the strength to KO what you hit.

Anyways, Mence is good, but if you already have a number of ice weaks on the team then it's just begging for Starmie & co to come and sweep you. (Important note, kiddies: never EVER run a team with a boltbeam weak. They get trampled. T_T) Another awesome flying type which I'm shocked that none of you have mentioned is Aerodactyl. It's fairly sturdy so it can switch into stuff, crazily fast and in possession of a good physical movepool and decent Atk. (Choice Band is highly recommended, though) It also has one considerable edge over most of its fellow fliers: the ability to learn Earthquake, which allows it to laugh at most electric types.

If you're looking for something within Emerald then I'd say Mence or - if you're looking for something with a bit more defensive flair - Skarmory. CB Ninjask is also fun, but you'd really need to breed in Silver Wind and it takes a bit of practice to play it well. (though it does give you one of the coolest pokémon in the game as a freebie when it evolves from Nincada <3) Crobat should not be neglected either; it's another pokémon that's fairly easy to raise, attainable early in the game and capable of putting quite a bit of hurt on the opponent, though unfortunately it does share a bit of Dodrio's drawbacks too. D=

Mind you, I certainly hope that you aren't planning on saddling the poor thing with Fly, because that's a sure-fire way of making any given pokémon suck. T_T For those needs, just take a Tropius and pack it with three other HM moves while you're at it (It can learn all except Surf and Waterfall). Whenever you use fly, you get to a pokémon center where you can switch a fighting pokémon back into the team anyway.

And of course Gyarados is also a very formidable flying type. :3

Last edited:

SonicWiz

The Anti-noob
    Years
    Thanks guys, ill consider Salamence, but I need one that I should use TIL I get a Bagon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    Like stated in a previous post, just use a HM salve 'til you are able to get Bagon.
    Tropius FTW!

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    It's not about using Tropius, it's about just having it around to use HM's, as it can learn an impressive amount of them.

Shadowthinker

Blissey OKOer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2008
    Rayquazza would be good so would Salamence.Try get a Metagross to, it's really good.

Back