• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FMA Storyline?

Years
  • Ok I usually just read the Fullmetal Alchemist Manga but I noticed something. The anime's storyline eventually becomes different from the manga. So what scene/episode did the manga and anime diverge? (Can't wait for the FMA 2 anime) ^_^

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    I think it was after Scar appeared and the "life-binding alchemist" guy bit
    I'm not sure, I never watched the anime version D:

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    It was volume 7 that the anime diverged from the manga, so about when they go to Greed's lair and stuff, yeah.

Years
  • =P

It was volume 7 that the anime diverged from the manga, so about when they go to Greed's lair and stuff, yeah.

Thank you very much for clarifying this...I thought about it for a while now...
    Do you guys know why the Anime Writers did it like this...instead of adding fillers like Bleach?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Because it's not the type of time slot that allows for series longer than a year, it's considered the best time slot for anime in Japan (usually with big name musical acts and seiyuu), so series aren't really allowed to run longer than a year. Pretty sure it was decided beforehand that the anime would only run for a year and eventually diverge from the original story. The new series is going to run for a year as well once Gundam 00 finishes up its second season, but it'll be adapting the manga all the way through.

Years
  • Because it's not the type of time slot that allows for series longer than a year, it's considered the best time slot for anime in Japan (usually with big name musical acts and seiyuu), so series aren't really allowed to run longer than a year. Pretty sure it was decided beforehand that the anime would only run for a year and eventually diverge from the original story. The new series is going to run for a year as well once Gundam 00 finishes up its second season, but it'll be adapting the manga all the way through.

So are they continuing the current plot after the Second FMA Movie or pick up the manga plot they stopped from. =/ (And isn't the manga still ongoing =D)

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Because it's not the type of time slot that allows for series longer than a year, it's considered the best time slot for anime in Japan (usually with big name musical acts and seiyuu), so series aren't really allowed to run longer than a year. Pretty sure it was decided beforehand that the anime would only run for a year and eventually diverge from the original story. The new series is going to run for a year as well once Gundam 00 finishes up its second season, but it'll be adapting the manga all the way through.

Also, the author didn't want them to use the ending she had planned from the manga. I wish I had the article I read, but she liked how the scriptwriters came up with their own explanations for the background stories of characters.

Netto: They're staying true to the manga the entire way through this time. Chances are they'll pick up from the start just so new viewers aren't lost.

Years
  • Hmm...

Also, the author didn't want them to use the ending she had planned from the manga. I wish I had the article I read, but she liked how the scriptwriters came up with their own explanations for the background stories of characters.

Netto: They're staying true to the manga the entire way through this time. Chances are they'll pick up from the start just so new viewers aren't lost.

So they'll replay the first few episodes and then start on the part where those people from the east (forgot the names) comes looking for the PS for their emperor?

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • It was pretty much at the whole Mr. Tucker / Nina incident. That's when things started getting different, but for the most part things stayed the same. FOR EXAMPLE, they never ran into Barry the Chopper that early in the manga like they did in the anime. But the plot changed in volume 7, like Amachi said.

I'm THRILLED to know that there won't be an anime adaptation to the manga, I like the manga's storyline better than the anime at some points.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    It was pretty much at the whole Mr. Tucker / Nina incident. That's when things started getting different, but for the most part things stayed the same. FOR EXAMPLE, they never ran into Barry the Chopper that early in the manga like they did in the anime. But the plot changed in volume 7, like Amachi said.

I'm THRILLED to know that there won't be an anime adaptation to the manga, I like the manga's storyline better than the anime at some points.

I thought the new anime that's coming out is a much closer adaption of the manga o.o

Years
  • I thought the new anime that's coming out is a much closer adaption of the manga o.o
    Indeed...it will basically be a combination of both the anime and manga storylines. And I think they should throw the video game stories in there to, particularlly the 3rd game, since the stupid U.S. government wont allow an import due to 'religious problems'

Years
    • Age 33
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 13, 2009
    I thought FMA was over with? I didnt know they had a part 2...(Great now I have to catch up on ANOTHER anime XD ) Anyways, I always thought the Anime had a different storyline for the same reason that they use fillers? But Ryoutarou's explaination makes sense...

Back