• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Followers

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    In 1999 I got my first Pokemon game, Pokemon Yellow, with my first Gameboy Color, we all know it, that turquoise one. With all my excitement I opened it up, slammed that cartridge in and didn't bother with the rest of my Christmas gifts. Finally caught up with all those rich kids on the playground that didn't have to wait til' Christmas, I too was finally on this grand adventure of enslaving creatures to battle at my fingertips. But unlike Red / Blue, Yellow had this new, exciting feature. Pikachu, being the princess that it was, wouldn't stay in a pokeball to save its life.

As game after game has come out, Gen after Gen, this hasn't really become a feature like I might have thought when I was 12. Now I realize that with all 700 plus mons out there now days, it would be difficult to create all those follower spirits. But I do vote for maybe some DLC for a couple rare ones. Maybe an event Pokemon or 2, maybe something achievable that involves Pokemon Amie? Is this a plausible idea? Or am I just asking way too much?

I just want a bad-ass little follower mon while I run around the Region.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2015
    I 2nd the motion. I was pretty excited to see the feature make a return in heart gold and soul silver (even tho i don't own either). But yea I always enjoyed that feature for some reason. When I saw the first so many trailers for this game and saw the trainer riding a pokemon I was hoping for a system that would allow your pokemon to follow you around up to the point it got big enough for your to ride on it's back (even tho i knew that with the amont of modeling that would take would be completely unrealistic) but still something! Why can i ride other peoples skiddo (or other pokemon) but not my own? Was it a feature they were considering then cut the idea so they wouldn't have to delay the game you think?

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    No idea truth be told, but it's these little things that make a game memorable and stand out.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I wouldn't hold your breath for a DLC to make the follow-me feature return any time soon, especially for X/Y. If it was something they wanted to do, I'm willing to bet they would have done it. As much as I would like to see my Pokémon following me outside of their Pokéball, this seems like it will always be exclusive to Pokémon Yellow and HeartGold / SoulSilver. Until they decide to do it again anyway.

URKNightmare

Pallet Town Original
    Years
  • I concur with this motion to allow characters once again follow you around. There is something about pokemon that is backwards sometimes. I remember watching the old series as a kid and seeing pikachu follow ash around....AND THAT WAS IT! I mean seriously pikachu was the only pokemon that was out (besides meowth) and it caused the characters to have more of a connection with the little electric mouse. Game freak launched Yellow, and it was every poke nerds wet dream. Even how they put Jesse and James in the game. Like I said, it was when pikachu was the only pokemon out of his pokeball. Now in this new series, everbody has a damn follower!! So I guess its no longer the "hipster" thing to do so game freak won't allow it. LOL I mean seriously the series has pokemon running wild in the streets of every town, but in the game they are back to be caged up. BRING BACK THE FOLLOWERS!! I miss the days of have a 4 foot Onix follow me around.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Well, Pokémon are meant to be inside your pocket within Poké Balls; having the follow-me feature kind of ruins the purpose. I know that Ash and his friends always have their Pokémon following them around in the anime, but still… Anyway, your idea isn't bad or anything, but chances of that happening is very unlikely. ): Couple of months ago, Game Freak has confirmed that there would be no DLC for Pokémon X and Y, so, yeah. Though, if they did give us a few DLC, then it would've been totally awesome.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    Well, Pokémon are meant to be inside your pocket within Poké Balls; having the follow-me feature kind of ruins the purpose. I know that Ash and his friends always have their Pokémon following them around in the anime, but still… Anyway, your idea isn't bad or anything, but chances of that happening is very unlikely. ): Couple of months ago, Game Freak has confirmed that there would be no DLC for Pokémon X and Y, so, yeah. Though, if they did give us a few DLC, then it would've been totally awesome.

That is some bummer news that I had not yet read about. I really was thinking there was going to be some new DLC. Specially with all the leaked stuff, oh and those 3 random power plant doors that we can't seem to figure out..

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    The problem I see with adding follower Pokemon to XY or a later game is that they seem to be trying to make Pokemon on scale with the sizes they are in your Pokedex. With Zekrom following you around, you wouldn't be able to see your trainer, and it might even be difficult to get through small areas. I think this is why they cut the idea out after HG and SS. We can interact with our Pokemon through Pokemon Amie now, so having a Pokemon follow you around would just be a cosmetic thing; there's no need for it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    The problem I see with adding follower Pokemon to XY or a later game is that they seem to be trying to make Pokemon on scale with the sizes they are in your Pokedex. With Zekrom following you around, you wouldn't be able to see your trainer, and it might even be difficult to get through small areas. I think this is why they cut the idea out after HG and SS. We can interact with our Pokemon through Pokemon Amie now, so having a Pokemon follow you around would just be a cosmetic thing; there's no need for it.

I understand the scale I things, and that's why it had been mentioned that only a few poke's would be able to have this feature. And I believe we all realize the follower feature wouldn't be needed, like shinies. It would be just for fun like a lot of other things. For example, video games.

Back