• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Foreign music?

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
    Do you like foreign music? This doesn't just apply Japanese music, any music that is not in your language counts. I know people who think because it's another language it's bad. :[ this makes me sad.

What are your opinions on foreign music?

Years
    Lyrics are only a small part of what I look for in music. I'm usually more interested in how someone sings (like, what notes they can hit, or how their voice sounds) than in what they sing about. Actually, I find I'm more open to different music styles when they're in another language because I can't always tell what they're singing.

Besides, I like learning other languages.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I thought of this when I was blaring L'Via L'Viaquez out my windows as I left campus today, since part of it is in Spanish. Anyway, I actually enjoy songs in another language. I think it sounds lovely. Don't have a lot of foreign music, more of half n half (The Mars Volta have a fair number of songs that are Spanish and English) and then I have some that are fully French or fully Japanese. Like I said though, not a lot of stuff I have is in another language. I wish people didn't dismiss a foreign song just because it's in another language though. :(

Years
    I'd estimate 98% of my music is foreign. The lion's share of that is English, of course. I do have a fair share of, for instance, French or Norwegian music though.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    I do prefer listening to foreign music than English music, because recently I feel English music is getting boring since it's about the same topics and it has the same kind of vocal ranges.
    Although I usually listen to Japanese music these days, I did like to listen to Korean music before that. But I really enjoy the different voices and totally different vocal ranges than other artists and bands. Such as Japanese artists ayaka or misono, ayaka's voice is deep but can go quite high, and misono's voice is quite high-pitched throughout all of her songs.
    Meanwhile in English music, I feel that artists and bands stay around the same range (with a few exceptions) such as Lady Gaga, Rihanna, etc. (I'm not saying they're bad singers and stuff by the way, this is just my opinion. >.> )

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Probably 75%-ish of mine is foreign, with a majority of that being Norwegian & Finnish, followed by Slovenian & Croatian (i have a thing for Balkan punk ok). Most of the Norwegian I can understand so that's not a big deal, but for the others it's more as if the words become just another instrument since I'm listening to the sounds made instead of perceiving the translation.

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
    I love music abundantly, so a lot of music I listen to are foreign. It also helps that I know more than one language. Foreign music is like music in any other part of the world, it just happens that sometimes the lyrics are in a different language.

Matryoshka

Shy shellder
    Years
    In my opinion music is just as good as the person listening thinks. Regardless of the launguage ^^

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    About 80-90% of my music is foreign, but I could understand all of them for the most part. It consists of Hindi (I could understand), Gujarati(I could understand), Spanish(I could understand), Italian(I could understand some), Japanese,(I could understand some) Korean(I could understand some), Chinese(I could understand some), Taiwanese(I could understand some), Portugese(I could understand some) and English of course.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    English itself is a foreign language for me, which I can understand up to a reasonable extent. But yeah, most of my music library comprises of "foreign music". Language isn't really a barrier when it comes to music. I can enjoy any foreign country's music, regardless of the language.

Years
    I'm sure there's good foreign music out there, but apart from some instrumental Japanese math/post rock bands (J-pop and J-rock aren't really my thing) I don't really listen to any. I like Kings of Convenience, who are from memory Swedish, but they sing in English so it doesn't really count.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    Nope, don't like foreign music. (As in music I can't understand.) Lyrics are a big part of why I listen to music. For example, I'm never going to like any kind of song that just repeats the same words over and over. Although in saying that, I do like listening to songs that are purely instrumental. So I guess you could say that I don't ALWAYS listen to music for the lyrics.
    I think the only song I do like that is in another language is Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partiro.

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
    There might be the odd good song that would be in a foreign language but generally though it's not my thing. Lyrics play a big part for me as I have to understand the song. While I will like some foreign songs, mostly Spanish and Italian, I don't go out to listen to them, they come to me, i.e radio, video-games, T.V.

Soraine

(*゚.゚)
    Years
    I listen to quite a lot of foreign music, this includes Japanese and a bit of Korean too. I find Japanese songs (both fast paced and slow paced) to be more beautiful and they suck you in more somehow. I don't know much Japanese at all really (but with all the Anime, Japanese movies and dramas I've seen, it's helped me understand a good amount of phrases and words) so even though people may think it's stupid (in a slight way, I understand, considering I don't know the majority of the song to begin with) but through listening to them, and also reading the english lyrics along side it, it actually helps you in that way of understanding some of it, and pronouncing words correctly too.

Back