• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Forever Photography

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Last gallery was roughly 3 years ago, and I don't use an iPhone anymore, so it's all irrelevant.

Here's three recent examples of my work. I'll be posting more... sometime.

Spoiler:

I don't edit effects in, all have been naturally taken, post-production was contrast/vibrancy.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • Everyone seems to be a photographer nowadays.

*sigh*

The quality of the last two pictures is immensely low. I can also take pics of random bugs on my phone, but I wouldn't call it photography, know what I'm sayin'?

Years
  • Everyone seems to be a photographer nowadays.

*sigh*

The quality of the last two pictures is immensely low. I can also take pics of random bugs on my phone, but I wouldn't call it photography, know what I'm sayin'?

That sounds ... a bit harsh. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
    If you don't like the photos, maybe tell Forever why you don't like them and how to improve their technique etc?

I don't know much about photography so sadly I don't think I can give any helpful advice.
    The last photo is a bit too blurry for my taste. Some blurriness can look nice but I think here it's too extreme.
    I do like the vibrant colours, though!

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • That sounds ... a bit harsh. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
    If you don't like the photos, maybe tell Forever why you don't like them and how to improve their technique etc?
    I know it's easier to just compliment someone's work instead of being honest since society's all about that "ur perfect as u r dnt ever change!!1" crap right now, but I, personally, find criticism much more useful (especially if it's regarding one's skills).

1. I already did.
    Hint: it's the "harsh" part.

2. I'm not an expert on photography myself, because I'm not interested in that field, but the OP (the one who is) should've read a thing or two about focusing/resizing/colours (or editing in general). Like I mentioned in my previous comment, photography isn't about owning any kind of camera, and being able to take photos.

Years
  • I know it's easier to just compliment someone's work instead of being honest since society's all about that "ur perfect as u r dnt ever change!!1" crap right now, but I, personally, find criticism much more useful (especially if it's regarding one's skills).

1. I already did.
    Hint: it's the "harsh" part.

2. I'm not an expert on photography myself, because I'm not interested in that field, but the OP (the one who is) should've read a thing or two about focusing/resizing/colours (or editing in general). Like I mentioned in my previous comment, photography isn't about owning any kind of camera, and being able to take photos.

1) The "harsh" part is absolutely not constructive criticism. What makes the quality of the two pictures low? Are you talking about resolution, are you taking about concept, are you talking about crop, are you talking about the focus? What are you talking about? If you can't define what exactly is "low" about the image, than it's not constructive criticism, it's just being mean. Your attitude of "insult. sigh" is not professional or attribute to constructive criticism.

2) If you really aren't interested in photography, who are you tell her to research? The focus of her camera is intention. She admitted her crops were not conventional, but it's not unheard of to just pick your own crop. A good photographer does not need to edit, or do minimal editing. A person with any camera be a great photographer because of their eye for composition, concept, and ability to manipulate their scene. I don't know why you are picking on her in terms of 'everyone thinks they are photographer', because these are pretty good.

To Forever:

The editing you have done to contrast/vibrancy is pretty superb! It's very bright and colorful, capturing the time of day as well without anything being too blown out. The orange bug on the blue rail is a good choice and that reflection looks amazing.
    I agree with Queenie that the blurred background is a good idea and helps focus, but at this point it becomes a little bit dizzying. I enjoy the second color photo better than the first two, however! In the second photo, not having the bug in the dead center looks very nice. I don't mind the blur of the first color photo because there are directions and more perspective to look at. As a general rule, things directly in the middle of a composition sorta kill the space around it. In this way, your natural composition needs work. While you can always crop later, it helps to take your photo with your composition in mind in the first place.

fPpefUL.gif

Aligning the bug's eye to the rule of thirds, a crop like this draws attention to the bug, while leaving space to explore the dark shapes on the side, giving some balance to to the bright blue rail. If it would have been angled in like the first color image where the rail was going into the dark area it would have been a bit better as we are getting to close to the image being divided in half.

It's a very sweet set of images, you just have to be more aware of your composition. : )

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Proud of you, dear. You really have improved since way back when. I think your current work is tasteful, well composed, and enjoyable overall.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    thanks guys!

Spoiler:

i was working with my amiibo (don't have a wii u but thought it was pretty so ya) and got a few cool shots, this was the one i was happiest with other than the white light but i don't feel it detracts that much from the image as the focal is still the centre. quality is bad because i screenshotted from fb.

Back