• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen FR: Building a new team

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    So far I have:

Blastoise
    Arcanine
    and
    Kadabra (Can't evolve, VBA)

That gives me water, fire, and psychic. What should the other three be? I was thinking Thunder, Dark, Grass or maybe Thunder, Dark, Steel.

hackritus

Challenger
    Years
  • Here ya go

Well, considering the fact that your only defensive types would be your Arcanine if your opponent was to send out a Grass type against your Blastiose, I'd suggest using pokemon that help "protect" your other party members in a sense.

A electric-type was a good idea (to help out arcanine)...maybe some really fast one like Jolteon or Raikou. You could also use a Grass type as you suggested. Victreebell's a good one. Its pretty fast (for a Grass type) and can deal two pretty good Poison-type attacks. (Sludge Bomb & Toxic)

For your fifth pokemon, you could go with something to support your Psychic-type Kadabra. What's Psychic weak against? Dark, Ghost, and Bug right? So...you could go with a Fire/Fighting type like Blaziken or Infernape (hint-hint). You dont need to worry about Ghost since Psychic is super-effecive against it also.

Your Water-type Blastoise is weak to two things: Grass and Electric. Following the same process as we've been, go with a Nidoking or Nidoqueen (Ground and Poison)

NOTE: Just as a sugestion, try to use Pokemon that have more than one type. They may have more weaknesses, but you cover more ground when it comes to what your party is super-effective against, so it balances out. And remember the above pokemon i gave only protect your three pokemon you gave as a basis, but with the right combination, you can create a perfectly level team (being super-effective against EVERY type)!

PM me for more info on that last comment.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2020
    It'd help if you let us know where you're up to. IE can you obtain GenII pokemon yet?

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Jolteon for Electriticty. It's pretty self-explanatory for this Jolteon's duties while in your party; switch to it when you encounter a water type or it could be used as a backup Sweeper.

Also, I would suggest using a Snorlax since those could be extremely helpful towards a team. If you need a moveset just post here or send me a VM. :)

slaughter077

Thread is Getting Way Bigger!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2014
    I loved my Jolteon in LG.... go with it. Also, I really like Graveller, not sure if it suits your interests...

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    So far I have:

Blastoise
    Arcanine
    and
    Kadabra (Can't evolve, VBA)

That gives me water, fire, and psychic. What should the other three be? I was thinking Thunder, Dark, Grass or maybe Thunder, Dark, Steel.
    My first suggestion would be get rid of the Fire-type. You are better off with more versatile Pokemon. I also wouldn't go with six Pokemon either, especially against the weak in-game AI. Here is the team I would suggest:

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 236 HP / 244 SAtk / 28 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic/Recover
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt

Starmie is a great special sweeper. Psychic or Recover is your preference. Since you can use items during in-game battles (which is very cheap), go ahead with Psychic. With its high speed, the only Pokemon you need to worry about are Electrode and Jolteon, of course you won't see Jolteon in-game, and with Timid you should easily outspeed an in-game Electrode anyway, or you can switch if you are not confident.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 88 HP / 176 Atk / 132 Def / 112 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Body Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Ball
    - Substitute/Rest/Flamethrower

Snorlax is the best Pokemon in the game. Period. It has the perfect combination of stats and moveset. Unfortunately you cannot maximize it in-game since its best move, Curse, must be achieved through breeding, which unlike in RSE, you cannot do until you are done with the game. At any rate this thing is a great physical attacker and great defensively against special attacks. That is why the last slot has options. With its high HP/SDef, you can get a Sub up rather easily. You can also Rest off damage or cure status ailments, although in-game you do have your items you can use, but this does it for free. Flamethrower is very useful to switch in on a Grass-type. Grass attacks won't do much to Snorlax and it can do pretty good damage back.

That right there is basically your team. If you are not confident with only running two Pokemon, I would then add Dragonite:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
    Naive Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Aerial Ace
    - Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt/Ice Beam

Dragonite is a good mixed attacker and can take physical hits rather well. The only problem is that you won't be getting this guy until later in the game. You might want to go with a Graveler or Machoke instead, but that is your choice.

Good luck.

Back