• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen G/S/C: anyone miss them?

nm legend

Years
    yea i miss it...those were the days when is was a lil jit playin crystal using AR to death...nowadays i like playin the right way

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    R.I.P 2003 :(
    Well HG/SS will still live up to the nostaglia of playing my Crystal. It's enough for me. Except for the cute shape forms(because there wasn't and inividual Pokemon thumbnail for every Pokemon), and less plasticy pixel-art

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I still adore the original GSC... that's why I play ROMs. So I guess I don't really miss them considering I still play them somewhat often. :D;;

I also play SoulSilver, of course.

Gmack

I'm back!
    Years
    I didn't realize how many people still play
    G/S/C!
    I beat HGSS within the first 2 weeks of playing it.
    To easy! So when my DS died, I only had my gba.
    It was then when I started playing My gold version
    again. It reminded me of great memories with my
    silver version.(Internal Battery died)

Years
    I absolutely loved G/S/C and with HG/SS, I do thoroughly enjoy what they have achieved, added and just done aesthetically to one of my most favorite games of all time.

Do I miss the old graphics?
    Sure.

Do I miss the simplicity of the Pokemon back then?

Hell yes, but with both of those said, what they're doing with the series now, although pretty much the same story wise, is something greater then we have ever saw in a Pokemon game. HG/SS looked to build upon, and fill some holes (as well as create brand new holes) in the older Pokemon games.

Aloetakura

\(^-^)/
    Years
    Yes, I still play them. I loved Gold, still do. And Crystal was fun after that.

I may sound stiff, but I think the old games had more feeling in them. Hm... or maybe not. I haven't played D/P/Pt properly and I did love the story in R/S...

Nothing wrong in reminiscing though :)

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    Ok, i like hgss and all but......
    I miss those classic games like GSC!
    I mean, hgss has a bunch of cool stuff,
    and i play it a lot, but i enjoyed gsc just a tiny bit
    more. Is anyone with me?

i am definately with you. although HGSS were awesome. the classic feel of GSC was awesome with no similar. i always appreciate classics and GSC were the ancher that brought pokemon up.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    Crystal was always my favorite. From the start, Heart Gold felt very different. I wish I could've at least played Kris again. Why'd they take her away? :( I mean, seriously, she was first girl you got to play in this series she's SPECIAL! SIGH.

I like the new additions like the Pokeathalon. Those mini-games are a ton of fun. But I was bothered by how lame the story line was. With the changes they made the story no longer makes sense. I would've enjoyed this game more if it was completely loyal to the original or if they'd changed up the story. :/ Instead they went half-way and I'm not satisfied.

Therefore, yes. I miss G/S/C.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    I don't miss G/S/C. I mean, I loved Gold, it was the first game from that generation I owned, and I loved Crystal because I got to be a girl, but HG/SS just surpass them. It brought a lot more things to the games. It still has that nostalgic feel while being amazing games in their own right. Those old games didn't have a lot of things. The graphics were good for their time, but when I play Crystal(which is the only working game I have left from that time) I get a headache from the music and the graphics. It's also way shorter than the remakes.. for obvious reasons. G/S/C is good for collection, but in my opinion HG/SS really made the generation even more amazing.

Sgt_Grovyle

-Not a Grovyle fool!
    Years
    The main thing I miss about the original GSC is the soundtrack. Some of the music was way better back then but, with the GB sounds I guess that doesn't really matter.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Only from the standpoint that things were simpler back then and sometimes simpler is better. HG/SS includes just about everything I did (and did not) like about the original second gen games and retains them or improves upon them. There are a few things I prefer about the older games, however:

*Red was more type-diverse
    *You could reach Red without wasting a slot on an HM slave (someone on another site posted exact directions to get through the Flash portion of the cave without using the dreaded move).
    *You could delete those who were annoying you with their Pokegear calls
    *I preferred battling the Kimono Girls before taking on Morty, as they helped quite a bit in getting experience for that showdown.

All told, I'd give Crystal another go if I had the chance.

What about the ability to decorate your bedroom? :o

Anyway, I'm replaying Pokemon Crystal at the moment, and I must say, I am actually enjoying it more than SoulSilver. :S Plus, how some places (like some Gyms, Mt. Silver and The Celedon Mansion) have changed so drastically, the nostalgia was kinda ruined, in my opinion. :S

Years
    I loved g/s/c. my favorite games ever. sadly though I lost my gold cartridge when I moved (I only had gold). and I'm not even sure I still had my gb color.

then I heard of the two remakes, like the fr/lg ones and I was really excited

after playing hg, there are some things I miss about the old games. like, the music. I liked the old music better. but luckily there's that thing you can get after the e4 that gives the original music or something. I haven't gotten it yet so I don't know much about it, but I'm looking forward to getting it.

I like most of the things added to the new ones though, like the pokeathlon, altered routes that give the air of playing a new but familiar game, the touch screen menu, the infinite sized bag, etc. plus I like that they don't have the pokemon from the 3 and 4 generations even though the games are technically in the 4th generation. thank god, because the games would be ruined if so. go gen 1+2 pokes! (2 are better though ;))

since I was pretty young the last time I played gold (and didn't fully understand everything I was doing) I'd have to say I like hg better. can totally get the nostalgia part about g/s/c though

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2010
    I do miss them alot man, :(

Man you guyz are my personal heroes, I never managed to finish any of those

Last edited:

Shnappy

First-ever pants pokemon
    Years
    I fully agree with you. I like Gold a lot more than Heart Gold, but I'm not sure why. I've always had a place in my heart for the oldies. |D My favorite pokemon game thus far.

It was also my first Pokemon game, so yeah. :B
    Classic pokes FTW! :'DDDD

(But I'm NOT a new pokemon hater, mind you.)

I actually fished around forever for a new battery for it, and I found one at Walmart. My dad soldered it in and PRESTO! :'D Just like new!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2010
    Well nostalgia is a funny thing and playing Heartgold i did really miss Gold, Silver and Crystal. Not that i didn't think Heartgold was as good as the others it just brought back so many fond memories of playing those games. And right after i finish Heartgold again i am gonna play crystal on my gameboy colour.

Back