• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen G/S/C: anyone miss them?

Years
    I miss my Pokémon Silver, even when I know it was a bootleg translation and that I only had it for 4 months before its battery died. I still feel nostalgic when I remember it.

Yeah those were the days. I played the Japanese ROM version and I had to use the walkthrough to know what the hell I was doing. But was pretty keen for the English version / translation to come out.

Haha yea, I remember I loved Gold so freaking much. Mainly because I wasn't allowed to have it for a few months

Yeah didn't have enough money back then to buy games so had to play ROMs instead which kinda sucked..

Back in the Generation II days, EVs, natures, and all that junk was not a big deal. That stuff began to roll in on Gen. III.

I remember Silver. I had it for a while. I gave up on it when I got to Jasmine's gym. That steelix just kept ticking me off. Well, probably because my only trained Pokemon was a Lv. 54 Pidgeot. And a Lv. 22 Bayleef sitting in the corner.

That was of course before I realized that training just one Pokemon wasn't the best way to go.

It's nostalgic, really. I'd like to go back to those days for a while. No one cared about havin the absolute Perfect IVd, EV trained, perfect nature Pokemon. When you caught them because they looked cool. For example, Ariados. I thought that thing was a beast. Turns out, it has horrific stats. But I didn't have problems with it in Silver.

So much has changed since then, such for good and such for bad.

It's just a way of making the game more complicated than it needs to in my opinion - I started off playing the "old school" Pokemon games (nearly 12 years ago on Gameboy Pocket).. something which these newfags (the ones that started playing from Ruby/Sapphire etc) will NEVER understand.

>_>
    I'm getting furious by those types of threads...
    What do you mean about missing them?! You still can play it as ever. The cartridges didn't die. You think Nintendo should stop making pokemon games? Think about it.

You're a tool.

The original poster meant the time of when the games came out not the cartridges itself.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    My Silver was a baby <3
    My first lvl100 at age 7 or 9! (typhlosion)
    And I had Crystal for a while and loved it cause I could watch the pokemon move! But then I spilled Pepsi on it hahaha.

But they were definitely my favorites for the longest time.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I don't miss the old games at all. Why? Because I've got them right here. XD I actually prefer Pokemon Crystal to Pokemon HeartGold and Pokemon SoulSIlver. Heck, the only thing I really love about Pokemon HeartGold and Pokemon SoulSilver is the Pokethlon. If it wasn't for that, I'd hardly play them. :\ Oh, and I'm oddly enough preferring the Battle Frontier in Pokemon HG/Pokemon SS than the one in Platinum... :p Strange, considering they're the exact same. :P

Anyway, I prefer the Buena's Password in Pokemon Crystal as you actually lose points. :\ Plus, I prefer the Slot Machines to Voltorb Flip. :) Additionally, I love getting Suicune before the Elite Four, since it makes a great water-type (in my opinion.) Also, oom decorations. <3

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    I just played Crystal for the first time. Man, those legendary beasts were annoying to find in Silver, I can't believe you NEED to find them to get Ho-oh.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I miss the Second Generation a lot. It has flaws nowadays with its little depressing status of Kanto and a few other minor things, but to me the series then was perfect. Pokemon Gold was my favourite game at the time and I can remember playing it pretty much every day.

The last time I played it was Christmas 2003 (I think), before I had Sapphire and I didn't return to it until after a year or two to find my cartridge had suffered the fate of many G/S cartridges and died. I honestly felt like crying at the time. It was as if a piece of my childhood had been taken away from me.

So now, I miss the game I used to love, but I don't miss the game's problems and the horrible way the cartridges were designed so that the battery would eventually die.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I do, yes, but I've realised that HG, although based on Gold, should be treated as a different game than Gold, because just there's so much different, and letting go of the past is important! Hard to explain tbh. XD;

Years
    Yes, i remember the time when i was younger and play that for hours.I stiil have the game but i miss the gameboy

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I do find GSC nostalgic, but I enjoy HG more, it's just more playable and has more enjoyable features than the old games. I do like Marina over Lyra and the non forced encounter with your version legend, but i just find HG more fun.

i do enjoy the classics though, and I play them often.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    HeartGold and SoulSilver are everything the originals are, and a little bit more... which frankly, isn't much. There's no reason to miss the old games, personally, as there's nothing missing in the remakes that was in the originals. Even the old, 8-bit tracks are accessible.

Back