• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gale of Darkness vs Colosseum (GC)

JonnyPhoenyx

Steel Trainer and Proud
    Years
    Ok. I currently only have Colosseum for my GC. I was thinking about getting a used version of Gale of darkness, but wanted to know what the differences are - mainly outside the RPG mode. I want to be able to battle the pkmn from my GBA game on the GC, but I want to do it in championship like modes as in Pkmn Stadium for the N64 (Little Cup, Master Cup, Battle Tower,...). CAn you do this in Gale of Darkness? If not, does gale of darkness have any superiority over Colosseum in this battling regard?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Ok. I currently only have Colosseum for my GC. I was thinking about getting a used version of Gale of darkness, but wanted to know what the differences are - mainly outside the RPG mode. I want to be able to battle the pkmn from my GBA game on the GC, but I want to do it in championship like modes as in Pkmn Stadium for the N64 (Little Cup, Master Cup, Battle Tower,...). CAn you do this in Gale of Darkness? If not, does gale of darkness have any superiority over Colosseum in this battling regard?

There is not really anything like the battle modes from the Stadium games, but there is a post-story Colosseum that you can battle in.

I really do have to promote Gale of Darkness, though. It is far superior to its predecessor in both the story and implementation of Shadow Pokemon.

Years
    There is not really anything like the battle modes from the Stadium games, but there is a post-story Colosseum that you can battle in.

I really do have to promote Gale of Darkness, though. It is far superior to its predecessor in both the story and implementation of Shadow Pokemon.

Yeah, I really liked Gale better than Collosseum. I felt uncomfortable with Rui following you around everywhere. D8

Years
    I would recommend that you get Gale of Darkness. It expands on the original story, increase the number of Shadow Pokémon available, and adds wild Pokémon.

toile98

a mod who cant close threads
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2009
    I'd go with gale of darkness there's more shadow pokemon and the battles are more intense

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Gale of Darkness is actually slimmed down outside of the RPG mode. After you clear the RPG part of the game, you unlock Orre Colosseum, which is the closest thing to an actual "championship tournament" mode. There are 7 rounds of four battles with the final in each being a boss from the RPG mode. All have the same rule: Lv 60+, no legendaries, all Double battles. There are also single round Vs. battles with friends, which is the only way to battle without trading your Pokemon to the XD game file. It's not like Stadium 1 or 2 or Battle Revolution with their multiple modes of tournament play.

With that said, I still must recommend Gale of Darkness. Where they skimped out on battle modes, they more than made up for with a beefed up RPG storyline.

JonnyPhoenyx

Steel Trainer and Proud
    Years
    Yeah, but I really liked battling with my own pokemon from the GB games. That was the main reason I bought the game. I lost my G/S games so I can't play stadium 2 anymore, and I don't have wi-fi for diamond, so this was the only option I had to battle with my GB team on the big screen. Kinda makes me sad.

Le_Avatar

Experienced Trainer & Breeder
    Years
    I honestly prefered Colosseum... Storyline was better that XD, legendary pokes were nicer too... I mean... Except for Lugia, you can get those 3 birds much more easily in FR-LG, an it's easier to get them with specific natures and IVs than in XD...

It's just my opinion though ;)

RanzAlton

Pokemon Champion
    Years
    I honestly prefered Colosseum... Storyline was better that XD, legendary pokes were nicer too... I mean... Except for Lugia, you can get those 3 birds much more easily in FR-LG, an it's easier to get them with specific natures and IVs than in XD...

It's just my opinion though ;)

How do you mean "Much" Easily? How?.

oh, In XD, You do GET Lugia and Others, But Colosseum Offers more Rare Pokemon, The Dogs, Ho-oh, Birds Etc. But everything else is More Likely The Same..

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    oh, In XD, You do GET Lugia and Others, But Colosseum Offers more Rare Pokemon, The Dogs, Ho-oh, Birds Etc. But everything else is More Likely The Same..

Hardly. First of all, the Legendary Birds are in XD, not Colosseum. Secondly, XD offers more than double the number of Pokemon compared to its predecessor, a larger Shadow movepool than just Shadow Rush, and a far more "Pokemon-esque" storyline & region, not to mention a vastly improved endgame. I would suggest actually playing both of the games before even trying to make such a foolish judgment as calling them the same.

Also, as for the two of you who think Colosseum's story is better, please elaborate on what exactly you prefer in Colosseum over XD.

toile98

a mod who cant close threads
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2009
    well one reason I like xd is beacause I dont have colloseum but you do get the dogs ho-oh and A lot more and I like ho-oh a little better than lugia

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    Gale of Darkness has a better story, slightly better graphics (although not much can be said for either game in that department), and way more Shadow Pkmn. And, despite the increase in Shadows, it takes less time to purify all of them in XD than in Colosseum.

sonicisrad

^ Yes he is. ^
    Years
    I prefer Gale of Darkness, the story was great compared to the Stadium-like gameplay of Colleseum, not sayin' that Colleseum was bad, but Gale included, as stated earlier, intense battles, and the adding of Shadow Pokemon was a great add, and added variety to the usual PokePlay.

Ash987

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    XD: Gale of Darkness is a better game but it only has story mode and there is more shadow Pokemon, wild Pokemon, there are more shadow moves and the shadow Pokemon when purified have better XD only and egg moves. Colloseum has better colloseums, that and you can get Ho-oh and the legendary dogs.

Years
    I enjoyed both Colosseum and XD a lot, but XD is the better game. Better storyline, more shadow Pokemon, more intense battles, better overall RPG gamplay... the reasons have been pretty well established already.

Banned
    Years
    xd is better cuz you can get a whole lot of rare pokes like lugia and all three birds i love being able to boast to my friends.

Back