• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Game corner addiction + tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Anyone else get addicted to plaything this? I got to 50,000 coins and at that point it doesn't let you play anymore until you spend some :(. Apparently the game can not go passed lvl 7 and once you beat lvl 7 you have beat the game and simply get the option to play lvl 7 again. I played this a ton but only managed to beat lvl 7 twice and got ~1,480 ounce once and ~1,150 the second time.

Anyways when I first started doing this I had no idea what I was doing so I may as well leave some tips here for anyone that was like me when I first started. The goal is to find all the hidden 2's and 3's without hitting and voltorbs. 1's are insignificant.

1. The first thing you do is look for any columns that have zero bombs such as 6/0. You simply reveal all these and with say 6/0 you are really only looking for the 2 that is hidden in there. If you have 5/0 you don't need to bother revealing and can just mark them cause they will all be 1's, which aren't important, but if it visually helps then reveal them. After lvl 2 you don't see many columns or rows with zero bombs in them.

2. The next thing to do is look for any column or row with 4/1, 1/4, 3/2, or 2/3 in them. Since there are 5 panels per row/column they will all be 1's or bombs and revealing them will just run the risk of hitting a bomb unnecessarily. I personally mark them with the little circle bomb marker to save time but some people get into more depth and mark them with the bomb marker and the 1 marker to signify that they are a bomb or a 1. You should never touch any of these panels and they are extremely useful for narrowing down where you actually have to look for the 2's and 3's at. On the early levels you sometimes have the entire thing revealed to you without any guessing between all the zero point rows/columns and 4/1, 1/4, 3/2, and 2/3 rows/columns.

3. Now that all the starting stuff is out of the way you logically follow the row/column combination that is most likely to yield you a number while avoiding bombs. An example would be the intersection between 7/1 row and 8/1 column being very likely to yield either 3 or sometimes a 2. You should avoid revealing more than 3 panels on a 1 bomb row/column and often stop at 2 and work elsewhere if possible. You'll want to avoid doing any guessing using probability on rows or columns that have 3 or 4 bombs in them as long as you can. If it has 4 bombs in it and more than 1 point then leave it a lone until you are sure you have narrowed down where the needed number is at.

4. Once you have found some 2's or 3's from zero bomb rows and guessing through probability look around to see what you can mark off. For example if you find a 2 in a 7/1 row that intersects with a 5/1 column you know everything else in that 5/1 column is a 1 or a bomb. If you have a 6/1 column and have found a 2 in it and have 3 panels marked as a bomb and/or 1 then you know that last, unknown spot must be another 2 and can click it without worry. If you have that same 6/1 column but with nothing revealed and 4 panels marked as bomb and/or 1 then you know that last spot must be a 3.

5. Things to look for: If you have a 6/1 row/column you will often want to find something with a combination with a high amount of points and low amount of bombs to pair with it to dig for a 3 or a 2. If you find the 3 you can mark all the spots along that row/column with a bomb and/or 1 marker and ignore them the rest of the level. If you find a 1 though you will need to keep looking and if you find a 2 you know that there is still one other 2 you need to find for that row/column. The same logic applies to 5/2 and 4/3. However at 3/4 you know that there are 4 bombs and only need to find the hidden 3 (or hidden 2 with 2/4). If you find a bomb you were just really unlucky since intersections with high amounts of numbers and low bomb count tend to share numbers with eachother.

If you have 5/1 you only need to find the 2 that is hidden in there then mark them all bomb and/or 1's. If you have 4/2 you only need to find a 2 as well since the rest will be 1's and bombs. The same logic applies to 3/3.

For a 7/1 you need to find three 2's or a 3 & 2. For 8/1 you find two 3's, a 3 & two 2's, or four 2's. When you get to things like 10/1, 11/1, and 9/2 you'll find there are lots of 3's to reveal. On 9/2 you know there will always be three 3's and 2 bombs which can be very useful information just like how 3/4 will always have 4 bombs and one 3 in it. You'll get used to these and when you see something like 7/2 you'll automatically realize that there MUST be two hidden 3's to find.

When it comes to guessing on the more difficult parts you should always try to follow the best probabilities based on bomb counts and what you have already revealed. Along the way though you should be aware of any possible sharing that you see. For example a 4/2 that intersect with a 5/1 might be sharing a 2 and everything else in that colum/row intersection is a bomb or a 1. That is often somewhat risky but it can pay off in difficult situations.

A 7/2 intersection with 6/1, 7/1, or 8/1 is a good place to dig for a 3 if you have no place better to look. If you have a 7/1 row with one unrevealed spot marked as bomb and/or 1 and you have already revealed a 2 and two 1's then you can safely reveal the last spot knowing that it must be a 3. It is nice to quickly search for a 2 in a 5/1 or 4/2 row/column since then you can mark all the remaining spots and narrow your search quickly.

Sometimes you have to stop and thing logically about the possible remaining combinations in a row/column and how they might correspond to another row/column to avoid making silly mistakes.

6. If you know there is a bomb at a specific row or that there is a high probability of it being there you can reveal every spot on a one bomb row or column that intersect that "bomb" to fish for 2's or 3's. The quickest way to find bombs is to spot the rare 0/5 row/column. Those are all bombs. You can take a risk with a 4 bomb row/column that intersect a 1 bomb row/column since you only have a 20% chance of choosing the one incorrect row/column.

7. Around lvl 4 and onward you'll find that you are more often running into situations where you have narrowed everything down to four final panels that form a square or rectangle with each other and you have no farther way of proceeding but a blind guess. You can follow the probability BUT you will be forced to guess between two panels along the same row or column regardless, so your guess is entirely 50/50 at this point. Usually two of these last points are bombs (Sometimes 1's but this isn't the case in the later levels where there are more bombs) and they are diagonal from each other and the other two are the points that you need to find that are also diagonal from each other. It's a 50% chance and if you guess right you win the level but if you guess wrong you lose. There is no other way but to hope for the best (you might want to flip a coin to save yourself the frustration of second guessing yourself when you hit a bomb).

Strangely in this situation you don't necessarily have to follow the probability since on the row or column that should have worse probably you still have a 50% chance of finding the necessary number that you can then use to win the level. It will cancel out the rest and you should find the last number to be diagonal to (or the opposite corner if you must) from the revealed number (assuming you didn't find a 1 in the earlier levels). However, it is still best to go with the probability and in early levels it can save you since you have a chance of finding a 1 where you would instead find a bomb in the later levels. If you've narrowed it down to 4 spots and find a 1 you got lucky due to there not being as many bombs. In such a situation you'll probably find that the number you need to find in the 2 unrevealed panels on the same row/column (one on the same row and one on the same column).

This is probably really confusing but it's not that hard and hope this helps a little. I don't often bother using the markers along a row to indicate that there is a bomb, a 1, and 2 cause I feel that just clutters things and I find it better to just mentally/visually contemplate things as I go while only marking spots that could be a 1 or a bomb with the bomb marker.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I'll close this up considering it really isn't really made for proper discussion. However, I've decided to add this to the FAQ sticky within the HGSS spoiler, under the Tips and Guides subtitle as it could definitely prove useful for those struggling with the mini-game here.

[ Closed ]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back