• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Development 101

tdata

Pokemon GX
Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2009
    Maker: Any
    Rating: Beginner-Master

So, you've got a great idea for a game or thought up a new approach to an old game. Well i guess you should just do it... Don't. Stop. FREEZE!

Ask yourself a few questions.
    What are my objectives?
    What will i need to complete this game?
    Is my storyline complete enough to avoid filler situations?
    What are my talents?
    What will i need help doing?
    What resources am i going to need to get?
    How much time am i willing to spend to complete this game?

You most likely are telling yourselves that you already know all this. If you do, then you are on the right track. Otherwise, get a piece of paper and answer the questions. To give an example:

What are my objectives?
    Create a new Space RPG. Make it unique​
    What do i need to complete this game?
    Space-type tilesets, Mechs, Futuristic Tilesets, Space View Panoramas, Space-Age music, Planetscapes, alien tilesets, Spaceships, SpaceStations, Uniforms, Battlers, ect...​
    Is my storyline complete enough to avoid filler situations?
    Yes. There will be periods of wondering around, but no random filler.​
    What are my talents?
    Imagination, Script editing, Tileset editing, Mapping, Charset editing.​
    What will i need help doing?
    Music, detailed tileset edits, charsets from scratch, Mappers, beta testers, from scratch scripters.​
    What resources am i going to need to get?
    Tilesets, Charsets, Music, Scripts, Pictures, WindowSkins.​
    How much time am i willing to spend to complete this game?
    Four hours a day on work days, 12 on non-workdays​
    Added:
    How many maps do i think i will need to complete this game?
    Around 300. Maybe more if the need presents itself.​
    What scripts will you use and which might you use?
    Ccoa's Message Script Edit, computer script. Might: Stockmarket script, ABS, CMS, Fist-Person Shotter Script.​

Now that that is over with... It is a very good idea to write out most of the story and let others look it over and help you mold it into a usable script for your game. I wold also rig up a Gamemap. No this doesn't mean make a map for your game in a maker. It means that you must know what is going to happen everywhere so your not having to repair errors later. I usually map an area on paper. I draw what is to happen on Xioz in the town of jilk. I write out the events. if there will be a bar fight in the middle of the street the night after the people land and a party the next day... I want it all planned out on paper. I've seen people who are going back and adding events after they are done with the map. Plan ahead and do the map all at once. When jilk is done, only minor edits should be needed. all the events should be done. Then you move on. You may do it a different way. That is Okay. I think...

Next you post a thread everywhere... Wrong. You need to get your game past Alpha before you post any threads. You want to have your game at least 20% complete before posting. Why? At 20%, you have a lot of screenshots you can take. You can have a demo that lasts for awhile. And you will have a lot of features finalized. You know what you can do and what has been added. Thus it is presentable.

A good tip while making a game is to stick with it. If you get an idea for another game while making your current one, stop. Write the idea down and continue making your game. Try not to get side tracked too much. Also, when you use a tileset of charset, write down who made it. If you plan to sell your game, you will need to contact all the people who own the graphics for permission to use them.

I will not show you how to map or script. You must learn that on your own. I've been working on games for 10 years. Planning makes a huge difference in the finished product.

I'll add more later. Feel free to flame me to your heart's content.

tdata

Pokemon GX
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2009
    While looking though a few people demos on another site, i noticed something odd... Every one of them was mapped the same way. Hundreds of little maps. Most people seem to believe that each building needs it's own map for each floor... Well, i map differently. I use ONE map for ALL my interiors for a town. A 500X500 map is rather large. I've been able to fit 12 two floored buildings on one map... Think about it. Your interiors should be roughly the same size as the exterior of the town... Smaller in most cases... So, why do you persist in making hundreds of little maps? For most people, it is easier for organization... I mentioned this on that site and they told me that i would cause lag... Not if you use the anti-lag script.

Recuiting... My god. Most of you haven't a clue how to write a recruitment thread/post. Here is the best way i have found to write one.
    Spoiler:

I would also include a few screenshots. I just don't have any handy for this project.

Well enough for now.

Avalanche

Pop'rocks and Coke
    Years
  • tdata said:
    While looking though a few people demos on another site, i noticed something odd... Every one of them was mapped the same way. Hundreds of little maps. Most people seem to believe that each building needs it's own map for each floor... Well, i map differently. I use ONE map for ALL my interiors for a town. A 500X500 map is rather large. I've been able to fit 12 two floored buildings on one map... Think about it. Your interiors should be roughly the same size as the exterior of the town... Smaller in most cases... So, why do you persist in making hundreds of little maps? For most people, it is easier for organization... I mentioned this on that site and they told me that i would cause lag... Not if you use the anti-lag script.

THat is a great idea, now I can have less maps

Back