• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Game Freezes When Using Moves

Queen Azura

Mistress of Midnight
Years
  • I'm working on a hack of Pokemon Emerald, and using GBE's Attack Editor, I changed some moves including Pound and Scratch. Now, when I'm starting the game, in the first battle against the Zigzagoon, the starter uses the other stat-lowering move just fine, but using Pound or Scratch freezes the game.

EDIT: When Zigzagoon uses Tackle, it also freezes the game. It seems any move I made edits to freezes the game, and setting them back to normal seems to make no difference.

Any ideas?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2015
    Unfortunately, I find that with errors like this, you need to go back to your previous working backup before the issue occurred. I keep meticulous backups of my roms because I have lost so much process in the past in this way. I remember in my very first hack, I inserted a growl for a Pokemon that somehow corrupted the rom with no previous backups. I was toast.

Queen Azura

Mistress of Midnight
    Years
  • Unfortunately, I find that with errors like this, you need to go back to your previous working backup before the issue occurred. I keep meticulous backups of my roms because I have lost so much process in the past in this way. I remember in my very first hack, I inserted a growl for a Pokemon that somehow corrupted the rom with no previous backups. I was toast.

That might be what I have to do... I didn't test the ROM until I had finished editing all the moves. Ouch. I'm concerned, though, with why it doesn't work. I wish I knew why so I could re-edit the moves without thinking it would break the ROM again. :(

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2015
    So many rom hacking tools are so unreliable. Usually, I only edit a few select things at a time, then test, backup, and repeat. In this way, creating a test map where you'll run into said moves or using an action replay to force events to happen is very useful.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    With all the rom screwups after doing something as simple as inserting new moves or inserting music, I'm not really surprised some people turned to rpg maker for their pokemon games instead.

Try another editor. Or just try to do it differently than you did last time. I just try things differently and test a bunch of times to find which way works.

Back