• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Maker

.:Sam:.

The road goes ever on and on!
Years
  • The game looks interesting, but I find programs such as Game Maker aren't ideal to make a Pokemon game on as in my personal opinion, the program show little depth, and depth is something a game developer is going to need.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't used Game Maker for many years but from what I recall it was more for simplistic games such as Pacman rather then a game like Pokemon.

@World

Sparking Wild Bolt
    Years
  • Actually I found a starter kit for Game Maker, that allows 3D models, it isn't developed anymore but the creator released the source code, I could find it if you wan't.
    It would be cool if someone makes a proper starter kit from it, since it lacks much stuff.

kaminer4545

SHAYMIN LOVER
    Years
  • umm... i like game maker because it is hard, it prepares me to program video games when i grow up (cause thats what i want to do)

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    I've written a script that would allow something for like a party system, which is great for a pokemon game. But they're not set by "IDs" as in numbers, you need to write a add/subtract script for each pokemon.

Main_Member
    Ally_member
    Ally2_member
    Ally3_member
    Ally4_member

Course my party is set to 3 but that can change, since Pokemon has tons of well pokemon you'd spend a close 6 hrs just writing the scripts for their party management and starting stats. What the starter stats SHOULD be if they're caught they're set to those stats which shouldn't be too hard.

if (caught = true)
    {
    actor[25,0] = "Pikachu"
    actor[25,1] = 1; // Level
    }
    else
    {
    // Did not catch Pikachu
    }
    You basically just use the enemies array variables and it makes it so much easier because in the long haul it save s time.

Writing a pokemon game is 100X easier than writing one with RMXP/RUBY and the result is the same if not better.

I use Game Maker and find it a lot easier than Ruby, but if I wanted to I can use java, python, C++(Industry standard!) or C# if I choose to if I find GML too easy.

Back