• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games that you're apparently "too young" to have played

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    I was born in 1999. a few people don't believe that I played pokemon crystal, why? I played it on my neighbor's gba.

so how is that so hard to believe? am I really too young to have played it??

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • No. I played my first Pokemon game (Blue) when it was released in the US, and that was... 1998? I was 6 that time too (God, I am old) and finished the game within almost a month. I could only play for a while on weekends because of school. It wasn't really difficult to understand so it isn't unbelievable if you finish the game at that age.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • No actually you were the perfect age. I would say the target demographic for Pokemon is age 5-12. They make the show very friendly looking and such to appeal to that age group of kids. That's why Ash remains 10, they want to appeal to their target demographic. Though if you look at the ages of most people here, you see the range is mainly people between 14-25 and even people in their 30s and maybe 40s. This proves that Pokemon doesn't really have a target demographic. So no problem with you being 6 and finishing Pokemon Crystal. People were probably just found it unbelievable because of your age. People don't really expect much out of a six-year-old. Most people think they don't have a good enough attention spam to complete an entire game by themself. So it's just a bit surprising for them when you tell them that.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • No actually you were the perfect age. I would say the target demographic for Pokemon is age 5-12. They make the show very friendly looking and such to appeal to that age group of kids. That's why Ash remains 10, they want to appeal to their target demographic. Though if you look at the ages of most people here, you see the range is mainly people between 14-25 and even people in their 30s and maybe 40s. This proves that Pokemon doesn't really have a target demographic. So no problem with you being 6 and finishing Pokemon Crystal. People were probably just found it unbelievable because of your age. People don't really expect much out of a six-year-old. Most people think they don't have a good enough attention spam to complete an entire game by themself. So it's just a bit surprising for them when you tell them that.

Yay, and we are 20. D: Nintendo or Game Freak thought that it was only for 5-12 after maybe the 2nd Generation. With all the people with varying ages coming to GameStop, TRU or everywhere there would be an event Pokemon to be distributed or Pokemon VGC, Nintendo/GF now knows that Pokemon appeals to teenagers above. It is a good game from the start, even if it is repetitive, and we all love the game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    exactly. I was young, but the game was still in stores and I was smart enough to play it...

my friend had a gameboy color too, somehow o__o

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years
  • Yay, and we are 20. D: Nintendo or Game Freak thought that it was only for 5-12 after maybe the 2nd Generation. With all the people with varying ages coming to GameStop, TRU or everywhere there would be an event Pokemon to be distributed or Pokemon VGC, Nintendo/GF now knows that Pokemon appeals to teenagers above. It is a good game from the start, even if it is repetitive, and we all love the game.

I'm 18 lol
    but it's still fun to play.
    I remember my first pokemon game..
    Pokemon red version.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    People just underestimate how in touch children are with technology and gaming. I played r/b/y when I was 5 or 6. Now I'm an old geezer and still playing :P.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • People are silly in all aspects of things, so don't worry. I was born in the year the SNES came out, and I grew up on it. I played NES too, and that was before my time. And my brother was born in 2001 and plays Blue and Gold, which is obviously before his day. He plays N64 games too. It's no big deal and if they don't believe you, just punch them in the face! Not really. Don't do that. But that's just how some people are. Ummm I think I'm gonna toss this to Video Gaming, since this age kind of thing can involve more than just Pokemon games, and I've made an example of. But putting it in Metal/Color initially was a good call on your part! Most people put it somewhere random. So yeah, moving this there. Gonna edit the title so that it makes more sense when I move it, hope you don't mind haha.

And with that, you're never too old or too young to play any game imo.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • GoldenEye 007. Dad was cool with it (and he liked to play it XD). Mom, not so much. But she let me play it.

If it didn't have the Bond license and wasn't based on a movie and was just generic shooting, I don't think I would have been allowed. That it was recognizable and there was "a point to it" allowed me to play it probably earlier than I should have

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I definitely played snippets of Conker's Bad Fur Day when I was about 10/11, but those were at a friend's house and I didn't even bother to ask my parents for the game, as I knew they'd say no instantly. But, yeah, I probably shouldn't have been playing that particular game at all. In terms of full-on playing a game, I'd probably have to say GoldenEye 007 as well. Like Triffy above, my dad would really like me playing it, but my mum was much less enthused. It came in this bundle that came with the N64, along with Ocarina of Time and Star Wars Episode I: Racer (the best thing to come out of that abomination of a film), and I never really thought anything of it as I was shooting Russians all over the place!

Years
  • I don't really think there is a 'too young' to play a game. I was born in '89 and I have played games before I was born and love them.

It is just down to the players personal taste.​

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    X: Beyond the Frontier
    This one comes to mind due to the learning curve cliff-face of the X series which as far as I know is only short of that of roguelikes and Dwarf Fortress. XBTF is apparently close to Elite in gameplay and is thus — and for being the first in the series — the least complex, but I guess it's still up there relative to contemporary games. It requires more patience and knowledge than skill, but then what child typically has any of these. I remain as baffled as pleased at how I got into such a game... honestly, I think it's the space setting that did (and still does) it for me.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • You young whippersnappers are making me feel like some old fool! But I don't find your situation weird in the slightest I was playing NES and SNES since I was 5...I also had the original Gameboy, GBC, and for a little while the Neo...something. I can't even remember it but they have it on Virtual Console now

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • The first game I played was on a Sega Genesis, but that was about 2001 and my dad found it in a box in the garage. And then when I was about 6 a friend of mine and I went into his brother's room and played some Grand Theft Auto! (I forget which one it was) Ah, good times...

Years
  • When I was little I used to play FF and DQ and were (If I do say so myself) quite a good player. I was about 5 when I first played a pokemon game and 3 when I played LOZ (Wasn`t the best but fine-ish).

iPika

Crytec
    Years
  • No one is too young or too old to play. When I was 4, I just loved Pokemon. It all changed when I was 6. We stopped buying Pokemon Adventure comics, cut Animax (I live in SG), and at 12 now, my mom sold all of my Pokemon adventure books. Well, 3 months after that, I discovered emulation from a guy in my class playing Pokemon on his HTC Wildfire S. Well, wasn't I surprised? All my friends had bought their GBAs and cartridges and now technology has become so advanced that we can play Pokemon Emerald on Android. Well after that, I discovered hacked roms (DJG's Ruby Destiny). And now I'm playing it on my phone (and am even trying to make one of my own) andy dad thinks I've grown mad. Well,.what can I say?

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • I was born in 1996, but I've played many games twice my age. (Well, maybe twice as old)

Example - Good old Metal Gear, the old Metal Gear, for the computor. I played that when I was about 12, and so did my dad.

EDIT: Only he played it on the NES.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • I was born in '88... and I just recently played through the original Ultima, which came out in 1980. Not the oldest of games by any means, but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I tried Akalabeth: World of Doom... but it was a bit too archaic for even me. :/

Back