• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] Gen 1 Pokemon stat editing

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2020
    I've been trying to find a good easy way to edit base stats (and maybe other things but I'm not sure) for gen 1 roms. I'm not planning on editing much past that, as this is basically just for a personal playthrough to make some things I want to use less bad. I know there is something called "pokered" but I don't really want to go through 30 minutes of setup for 5 minutes of editing. Does anyone have any programs I could use for this?

Snowka85

literally a ferret
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2023
    Have you tried just using FireRed then, or do you have a specific reason for using Red?

Snowka85

literally a ferret
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2023
    I really hope you meant to say "Natures and EVs are one of the precise reasons you SHOULD use Gen3+" because they objectively make the game better. There is no sound logic that disagrees with this, it's an objective thing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    its not objective at all. being forced to either play through a game with a gimped pokemon who has a bad nature or spend a bunch of time hunting up a usable one is a horrible mechanic. and so is evs instead of stat exp. not being able to have access to a pokemons full potential for the sake of forcing players to have specific builds is really dumb especially when you consider that most pokemon only have 1 or 2 sets that anyone bothers with.

edit: also another reason to use gen 1 is to be able to connect it to pokemon stadium

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've been trying to find a good easy way to edit base stats (and maybe other things but I'm not sure) for gen 1 roms. I'm not planning on editing much past that, as this is basically just for a personal playthrough to make some things I want to use less bad. I know there is something called "pokered" but I don't really want to go through 30 minutes of setup for 5 minutes of editing. Does anyone have any programs I could use for this?

Yo! The fact that nobody had a good answer and neither did google got me a little annoyed, so I looked through the rom data of Red specifically and posted my findings here. Open that link up if you wanna edit the stats data.

What you're gonna wanna do is get a hex editor like HxD. Then open up your rom with the hex editor and go to the offset of the pokemon you wanna edit (in HxD you'd do this by going to search and go to, or command/control + G) . Now you're gonna wanna use a hex converter like this one to edit the stats. Let's say you want to make goldeen's attack stat change from 67 to 100. You would edit the 43 byte (it goes HP/Attack/Defense/Speed/Special) and then replace the 43 with 64 (100 in hex).

Good luck!

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    im honestly shocked no one made a tool for moding this stuff like in gen 2 and 3 >.>
    edit: i found poke edit gb, but it says the comdlg thing is registered incorrectly so idk

Last edited:
    Years
  • im honestly shocked no one made a tool for moding this stuff like in gen 2 and 3 >.>
    edit: i found poke edit gb, but it says the comdlg thing is registered incorrectly so idk
    Usually what i do when something like that happens is i download the comdlg file from a website, put it in the same folder as the tool, then run the tool as administrator. I didn't know about poke edit gb, but it works fine on my computer

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    oh wow. so it didnt work when i double clicked it, but then i read your post and tried running it as admin and it worked. sooo then yeah thread solved.

Back