• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gen II pokemon deserve more appreciation

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    People give them a lot flak for being an odd or bland generation of pokemon. But they were designed when competitive play did not heavily influence the games and some of their designs are simplistic, but they are good as any pokemon imo. Competitive viability isn't what matters that much when determining a pokemon's worth. Some of the generation II pokemon I find are better in design than a lot of gen 1 pokemon. This is, however, how I feel, so feel free to agree or disagree.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    People give Gen II Pokemon flak? This is genuinely news to me.

Everywhere I been on the internet when Pokemon or specifically gen 2 pokemon are being discussed, it happens. I see it on reddit sometimes, and on Chuggaaconroy's videos I use to watch, he would rag on them. In my experience, they are treated like laughing stock to some people. There are exceptions like the popular ones which is to be expected, Lugia, Espeon.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Agreed, I love Gen 2, back then gameplay was pure and unmarred by competitive taint. You didn't battle unless you had a link cable, and even then it was simply fun

My favorite Pokemon is Smeargle. :3 Most brilliant pokemon in that gen, and loveable to boot

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
    I've always seen gen 4 and 5 crapped on for their Pokemon designs, never 2. They're maybe not the most popular, but I do think they're respected. Myself, I think they're the best in the series! They're so cute, interesting and fun.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Maybe I don't venture out into the internet enough, but I was always under the impression that Gen V or VI Pokemon would be more criticised than Gen II. oO

It is the opposite imo, I rarely see people rag on Gen V or VI pokemon.

MaSterBarth

Pokemon MaSter
    Years
    People love gen 2 more then a lot of the newer games, as far as I know. Maybe a different age group that didn't grow up with gen 1 and 2 havent seen the awesome of these Pokemon.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    what gen 2 is awesome. the worse from 4 onwards now its just a joke

Excuse me?
    No Pokemon is a joke.
    No arts are jokes. Everyone have their own ideas and I think everyone should respect the artists, it does not matter if you like the Pokemon or not.
    I am not a huge fan of generation 5 but you don't see me going around saying I hate them.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Excuse me?
    No Pokemon is a joke.
    No arts are jokes. Everyone have their own ideas and I think everyone should respect the artists, it does not matter if you like the Pokemon or not.
    I am not a huge fan of generation 5 but you don't see me going around saying I hate them.

I don't think he is purposely disrespecting the artists - it's just not his view of what he thinks Pokemon should be like. We're all entitled to our 9wn opinions :)

Anyway this thread was probably made because of what I said in the other thread haha. Personally I love the designs, really! It's just the fact that they are weak in battles :( They really got shafted there in comparison to gen 1 but then we have Tyranitar which kinda makes up for it!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    Excuse me?
    No Pokemon is a joke.

well sorry but i hate them. That is my opionion which i am entitled to just as you are yours.

IMO they have created way to many which are to similar to what we already had. bring bac the original 251 IMO

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    well sorry but i hate them. That is my opionion which i am entitled to just as you are yours.

IMO they have created way to many which are to similar to what we already had. bring bac the original 251 IMO

It is not about entitlement nor about opinions-- It's about respecting the hard work and dedication the artists had put into their artworks.

Sure, you're not obligated to like every single one of them but calling them a 'joke' is horribly an insult to others' efforts and that is not respectful at all.

When you point a finger at others, three are pointing back at yourself. Learn to put yourself in others' shoes. Criticism is fine and actually help push them to a better person, but direct insult like 'joke' without constructive comment isn't one.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Let's move on now guys - feel free to discuss that particular discussion in a friendly manner via Visitor Messages if you wish to continue :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2020
    I agree, in my opinion second generation pokemon are the best designed (with the genI ones) and the most innovative if we talk about evolution (the introduction of happyness and the day/night alternation).

this is probably due to the fact that part of the second generation was meant to be in the first one, so they share the same genuine look that was no more replicated in the following games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2019
    If second generation Pokemon are overlooked, it's probably because a lot of them come up short competitively today. I like a lot of the second generation designs; in fact, Gold and Silver introduced one of my favorite Pokemon designs with Entei. Back in the first generation, none of the Pokemon designs particularly caught my attention as much. And this was someone who was on the younger end of Pokemon's target demographic for the first two gens (I am twenty-three now, so I was between five and eight years old between the first two gens).

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    If only their creators gave them more respect. Hiding some of them for Kanto? The hell?

Back