• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] [Gen3] Possible to speed up the game?

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2020
    Hi! :smile:

I'm not really sure if it's the good place to ask that (I just created an account) but since some days I have the idea to play hacks based on Gen3 games.
    The thing is... I find these games so slow compared to newer games! I know you can speed up while playing on emulator but I wanted to play on my old 3ds using injection method for more comfort.

So my question is: is it possible to modify the rom itself to make the player walk/run faster as well as speeding up the battle animations?

Years
    Player walk/run faster: You have the bike and the ability to run. Giving the player the bike from the start, as well as allowing running indoors are two options there.

Speeding up battle animations: You can already turn battle animations off in the game's settings and set the text speed to fast (which would in turn make battles overall faster). Alternatively, you could increase XP rates so that grinding is a shorter process or raise the levels of wild Pokemon, give trainers more and/or higher level Pokemon which would also reduce time spent grinding.

Probably not specifically what you're after, but these are fairly easy to implement changes. Beyond this, in terms of rom hacking, this would probably be too much work for someone to do for such a niché hack. Maybe there are gameshark codes out there that can do what you're after?

Another alternative is, rather than injecting the rom, using Retroarch. I believe Retroarch has a speedup function similar to the one in VBA with a toggleable hotkey. Take your pick :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2020
    Indeed it's not specifically what I'm searching but thanks for your reply :p
    I guess it's all about hex editing... :(
    I just tried Retroarch but it doesn't want to work on my old 3ds (maybe I don't do things right). I tried mgba too but it can't run at normal speed on old 3ds.
    Currently, the best way to play gba games on 3ds is injection

Back