• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gender Concerns

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Attract. It's been in the game ever since genders have been, 3 whole generations.
    In battle, given the chance of opposite genders, it's actually a good move, it always seems to screw me over when used against me. -__-
    But did it make anybody else mad that in only worked between opposite genders?
    I know it's a game that a lot of young children play and they probably don't want to exploit some sort of homosexuality or something like that, but if that were the case, why in GSC did my two Miltank [always female] breed and have a baby Miltank?
    I'm guessing that was just a bug in my game actually...
    Point still being, I'm mad.

On top of that, how is it possible to have a Female SlowKING, or SeaKING, or MR. Mime?
    That especially made me mad. They could've changed it some time after 2nd Generation by making them Male exclusive Pokemon, like the Hitmon's.

And I'm sure there's other gender bugs people have found.
    So tell me about 'em. They're usually funny... and I could go for a laugh right now ^_^

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    The term 'king', while commonly referring to a male sovereign, can also refer to a leader of any gender. There's no excuse for Mr. Mime, however. That's also bugged me for ages.

A female Pokémon with Attract is really a force to be reckoned with in the games. Most trainers and players are male, so there's tons of chances to use it.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Truly.
    It just kind of makes me mad that Attract can't be used within the same gender.
    True, it would make the move a much bigger threat, maybe even unfairly big.
    But, I always thought most Pokemon were based off animals, and I've seen same sex animals... "infatuate their opponents with attract".

But Mr. Mime will always bug me 70buhjillion times more >=I

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I think all the male Pokémon with "king" in their names is just due to translation. I know for a fact Mr. Mime has a gender-neutral name in Japan... actually, let me check this out quick:

Mr. Mime's Japanese name: Barrierd
    Seaking's Japanese name: Azumao (which apparently uses the word for king anyway)
    Slowking's Japanese name: Yadoking
    Kingdra's Japanese name: Kingdra (no, seriously)

So in Mr. Mime's case, it's translation, for the 'kings, not so much. I think it's for the reasons Mrchewy already mentioned.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Mr. Mime's name in Japan was Barrierd. It was never intended to be "Mr. Mime" but the people translating the game saw its appearance and went with a masculine name.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    It just makes me sad that the player can't use Attract.

A-HEEEM! [/Grossberg cough]

Doesn't that Gardevoir look so female? No, it's a male. Since Gallade came in in DP, I think Gardevoir should have finally been made a female only Pokemon. Kirlia was sort of cutting it fine already, but... >.<

'nyway, there's my two cents.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    I agree 100% with the Gardevoir thing.
    Especially after seeing so much Gardevoir Gallade fan art O.O
    And also Ninja Caterpie, I love your sig xD

Anywho, I'll withdraw my argument for Mr. Mime, I didn't know America gave it it's masculinity. [Even though personally I don't see how it has that much...].

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I barely use the move attract but when it is used against me, it bugs me entirely!!!
    as for Mr. Mime, there is NO excuse for it...but the term -king I guess can be used for any gender...

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yes, I was offended at the attract situation because other males are attracted to me and vice versa.
    With Mime, it wasnt meant to have the name Mr. in Japanese but theye remade a male Gardevoir so that may change, along with Roserade and Loppuny.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Yes, I was offended at the attract situation because other males are attracted to me and vice versa.
    With Mime, it wasnt meant to have the name Mr. in Japanese but theye remade a male Gardevoir so that may change, along with Roserade and Loppuny.

Wait, the Gardevoir/Roserade/Lopunny gender differences, are they in DP or only Platinum?

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Wait, the Gardevoir/Roserade/Lopunny gender differences, are they in DP or only Platinum?

No, meant they gave Gardevoir a masculine counterpart(Gallade) and Roserade and Loppuny should have one two.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    No, meant they gave Gardevoir a masculine counterpart(Gallade) and Roserade and Loppuny should have one two.
    Ah.
    A male counterpart would be interesting for Roserade... it'd be hard to make a masculine flower in my opinion.
    For some reason a male Lopunny counterpart screams Ursaring to me O.o hahaha.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Ah.
    A male counterpart would be interesting for Roserade... it'd be hard to make a masculine flower in my opinion.
    For some reason a male Lopunny counterpart screams Ursaring to me O.o hahaha.

Bunny/Bear? not! lol

anyway a male Roserad would have thorns on it back maybe and have sharper petals with eyes like my avatar maybe. Roseblade? Thornade?

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Bunny/Bear? not! lol

anyway a male Roserad would have thorns on it back maybe and have sharper petals with eyes like my avatar maybe. Roseblade? Thornade?

Maybe that and a darker color scheme. Not sure which colors though...
    The whole thorns on the back thing though... what if it had thorns all over, kinda like a Jolteon look? O.o That'd scare anyone who got it as a gift on Valentine's Day xD

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I don't understand how so many of the newer Pokemon look like they are of one gender and yet they are giving 50-50 chance of being ether. It makes no sense to me.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    If they somehow could make counter parts for ALL Pokemon that look like one gender, that would be awesome. A female version of Poliwrath means the poor middle schoolers don't have to disect the ab to identify gender @~@.

I can't imagine a Mrs. Mime, to be truthful.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Probably like a clown with rainbow hair and white makeup with ugly lipstick ( Sounds like a mime jynx mesh)

Whats up with the sudden spring of gender/sexuality threads the past few days? lol.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Bunny/Bear? not! lol

I thought Roserade was male enough! O.o It always struck me as masculine whereas Roselia was feminine. :\

If they somehow could make counter parts for ALL Pokemon that look like one gender, that would be awesome.
    Nintendo already has that. All they need to do is make them stand out more (one extra thing in that fin for Wooper doesn't count as a gender difference, Nintendo, no it doesn't).

Oh, and adding something, people:
    Gardevoir has a 50/50 chance of being male/female. O.o You'd think it'd at least be 87.5/12.5, right? Bulbasaur has 87.5/12.5 higher male chance, and how masculine does BULBASAUR look?

8D Adding on to a long-dead convo. :D

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Look in my sig and tell me that thats how manly you aspire to be in the future. I didnt think so.

Back