• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General game making help

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Hello, i'm new to the forums so hey lol.
    Anyway, i'm willing on planning out my own game.. and i need to know the basics i should learn to create a pretty well developed game.. i'm all new to game develop stuff.
    My first question is.. What programing languages should i learn, i have a idea its Perl??
    And what other things should i learn?

Thanks for all help, if you wish to help with the game as well, you can try contacting lol :)

Thanks!

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
    Anyway, i'm willing on planning out my own game.. and i need to know the basics i should learn to create a pretty well developed game.. i'm all new to game develop stuff.
    My first question is.. What programing languages should i learn, i have a idea its Perl??

Thanks for all help, if you wish to help with the game as well, you can try contacting lol :)

Thanks!

First of all, welcome to Pokécommunity.

If you want to create a good Pokémon game, I suggest you download RPGMaker XP, and download Pokémon Essentials.
    RMXP only has a 30-day trial before you buy it. The program is $60 when/if you're ready to buy it.

Pokémon Essentials is a starterkit made by poccil and is very useful for make Pokémon games with RMXP.

RMXP is an easy program to learn (in my opinion) It shouldn't take you that long to get used to the program and start fooling around with maps and events.

If you have any questions PM me and I'll be glad to help.
    Good luck with your game!

MegaNew

Pokémon Unetta Owner
    Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2011

Thanks!
    You need to learn ruby for making your own scripts. Its very user friendly.

Welcome to PC

Years
    Thanks for the help guys, you have been great, btw nice forums !

Oh and funny enough i was going to name my Pokemon game Turquoise version but don't worry,
    now that you had the idea first ill change it to something else ahahah ;)

roxaspwner

Pokemon Orange Isles Leader
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2016
    First post, even though I've been lurking for the better part of a year. ^^;

How would I go about making a light source (like from a lamp) during the night so that the map isn't completely dark.

Orangturttle

Magikarp MASTER!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    I'm using RPG Maker XP
    I have this code
    Spoiler:

Put it in a Spoiler because it's kind REALLY long.
    The part I'm having trouble is...
    Is...
    Spoiler:

It does that, then it starts over!
    Why does it do this?!
    Help please?

Fixed it!
    when I had the first "Yes, No" question, I forgot to Make it so that When you did "Yes" It would continue on with the Plot line.
    And I fixed the end where I forgot my "Exit Event Processing"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2013
    touch screen menu

can anyone help me with a touch screen menu for rpg mkaer xp i use this mouse input script
    Spoiler:
    and this is my menu script
    Spoiler:
    please help me

ashthebest10

Creator of Pocket Monsters
    Years
    When a wild pokemon appears it moves from the left side of the screen to the right and it is shaded. How do I increase the speed that it moves across the screen and if at all possible, get rid of the shading? Thanks in advance for any help.

First post, even though I've been lurking for the better part of a year. ^^;

How would I go about making a light source (like from a lamp) during the night so that the map isn't completely dark.

It's in the notes.
    Light Sources

Any event can serve as a light source. To make an event a light source, name the event either "Light" or "OutdoorLight". The difference between them is that an event named "OutdoorLight" will change its intensity according to the time of day.
    Shadows

Any event can draw a shadow on the player. To make an event a shadow source, add a Comment event command consisting of the text "begin Shadow Source". You can add up to four additional Comment event commands for extra parameters of the shadow, like this:
    Comment: begin Shadow SourceComment: anglemin 180Comment: anglemax 360Comment: distancemax 350Comment: opacity 100To allow a shadow to appear on an event, add a Comment event command consisting of the text "begin Shadow".

Last edited:

Orangturttle

Magikarp MASTER!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    if you want to know how to do the "DS Screen" search Dual Screen in the Tutorial Section! :D
    Making it work as a screen will take a little bit of creative scripting, no copying and pasting.

Pichuichu

Creator Of (Insert Here)
    Years
    No i mean what is the size of the ds top screen? you know for screen resolution also when i
    resize the screen to 240x160 everything elso on the screen is the same how do i fix that?

ashthebest10

Creator of Pocket Monsters
    Years
    Okay, I'll ask again. When a wild pokemon appears it moves from the left side of the screen to the right and it is shaded. How do I increase the speed that it moves across the screen and if at all possible, get rid of the shading? Thanks in advance for any help.

roxaspwner

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2016
    When a wild pokemon appears it moves from the left side of the screen to the right and it is shaded. How do I increase the speed that it moves across the screen and if at all possible, get rid of the shading? Thanks in advance for any help.

It's in the notes.
    Light Sources

Any event can serve as a light source. To make an event a light source, name the event either "Light" or "OutdoorLight". The difference between them is that an event named "OutdoorLight" will change its intensity according to the time of day.
    Shadows

Any event can draw a shadow on the player. To make an event a shadow source, add a Comment event command consisting of the text "begin Shadow Source". You can add up to four additional Comment event commands for extra parameters of the shadow, like this:
    Comment: begin Shadow SourceComment: anglemin 180Comment: anglemax 360Comment: distancemax 350Comment: opacity 100To allow a shadow to appear on an event, add a Comment event command consisting of the text "begin Shadow".

Oh dear god, I feel so stupid now. I must've missed that bit entirely. D:

Thanks though! ^^;

Pichuichu

Creator Of (Insert Here)
    Years
    Okay Here Is My Problem i'll explain in detail so next person to read this and they know how to solve please tell me.

Problem: okay so when i want the game to start in 240x160 i edit the sprite resizer part and delete the option. but when i run the game it stays changes the screen size but the game is still big how do i solve this?

Problem2: some of my tilesets messup when i make the map and they don't let you pass?

Question: How do i make a forest dark like it's raining but without the rain so it's shadowey and yeah.

- Pichuichu

roxaspwner

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2016
    Okay, I hit a wall.

So, in one town there's a set of three houses and a lab. In each house there's a different person the character would need to battle. However, in order to go to the other houses, you need to defeat the previous house.

So, what I was trying to do was make it that a Switch would turn on after you defeat one of the trainers, and that would unlock the next house. So on until you can eventually get to the lab.

Now, every time I tried to set a switch after you defeated the trainer, it would erase it during the playthrough.

How would I set this up effectively? Sorry if I'm not clear. Dx

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2013
    touch menu

please can someone help me

can anyone help me with a touch screen menu for rpg mkaer xp i use this mouse input script
    Spoiler:
    and this is my menu script
    Spoiler:
    please help me

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    Summary Screen

Hey,
    how can I add pages to the Pokemon Summary Screen.
    I don't find how to do it. o.O

Solved! :D

Gigatom~

Last edited:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Two alternatives;

General game making help

1) How can I make it so that an image appears under the opposing Pokémon? Like a simple modification to the script that renders shadow.png at a certain location respective to the image?
    2) Slightly more complicated, but more attractive, is there anyone willing edit the script so that it actually gives each Pokémon an individual shadow and skews it, like in Black and White?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back