• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Glitchy/Corrupted menu textbox

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2023
    Hey! I've been putting some work into a romhack, probably about 36 or more hours, and I messed up.

bad.

Ive had an issue with the blue pause menu box ever since i made some of my first changes. Like the absolute moron I am, i decided "oh I'll just fix it later"

Turns out, i can't figure out how to fix it and i've only found one instance of it happening online without much help.

Is there any way to fix this other than restarting? I'd like to either fix it or just straight up remove the menu textbox if possible because I don't even think its really necessary. Attached is an image of the issue.

Spoiler:

This wasn't happening before I made any changes, and I don't exactly know what changes caused the issue. It may have been adding a new area, but I don't know for sure.

Any and all help on either how to fix the textbox or straight up remove it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    First rule of ROM Hacking: Always save a backup.

In other words, only you can know what lead to it happening. And if you don't know, starting again is the unfortunate reality of your plight

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2023
    yeah, unfortunate thing about it is I didn't even realize it until after the first major changes were made, and in my ignorance i figured it would somehow be some sort of easy fix for later rather than addressing it as soon as I saw it.

Of course, it's my fault, but I feel like there has to be some sort of solution other than restarting from the very beginning or just living with it.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    You overwrote the tiles of that textbox with some new data. Those tiles contain a lot of 0xFFs so tools can mistake them for free space and overwrite them. Only use offsets larger than 0x720000 when looking for free space.

The tiles are located at 0x4566A8, you could open the rom in a hex editor and restore the data to how it is in an unchanged rom.
    However, doing so will mess up whatever data you have inserted there, possibly causing other problems.

I recommend repointing the textbox:
    1. Copy 0x280 bytes starting at 0x4566A8 from an unedited rom
    2. Insert them somewhere in free space in your rom
    3. Change the pointer at 0x112FC8 to point to the newly inserted data

Also you should definitely make frequent backups of your rom because these kinds of issues are often very difficult to fix.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2023
    Thank you for the advice :)

I wound up instead just starting from square one, and I'm back on track now. A lot of the time spent originally was figuring out how to work the programs. I've been careful to make sure all of my scripts use free space (no idea why one messed everything up, it was probably just me being an idiot), and i've been making a backup after just about every change.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    This happens when you repoint trainer data into the 0x400000 range, as people said before. So you'll have to point custom data to your ROM's free space.

Back