• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Global Warming

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2009
    NOTE: Prepare to read a fairly long post...

Ah I've been really.......Uhmm....Not exactly worried, but like...focused on the current statictics with global warming. At the moment, there ARE quite a few steps to take in order to lower it or put it to a halt. I just read an e-mail from the ex "next president" [or the U.S.] Al Gore...It's not a personal message, it's one of those messages that you go to a website (in this case: Stopglobalwarming.org) and the famous people who are taking a part of this will send emails to the people who signed up..Eh something like that.
    Here's his message:
    If you are concerned about global warming and want to help solve it, I would like to personally invite you to see the new Paramount Classics movie -- "An Inconvenient Truth" -- now playing at a theater near you.

The film lays out the latest, up-to-date, most compelling facts about this unprecedented climate crisis in a foreceful presentation. It is filled with startling images and dramatic pictures showing clearly what is happening to our Earth and why global warming is now being called a "Planetary Emergency."

I have tried to tell this story for 30 years. I'm sending you this email now because I feel so passionately that we simply do not have any more time to waste. This crisis is unlike anything we have ever faced. The debate among scientists is over!

According to the experts, the climate crisis could – if unchecked – literally destroy the habitability of the Earth and bring civilization to a halt.

This really is not a political issue. It is a moral issue! Here's what the Fox News reviewer wrote about the movie: "Not to be missed. It doesn't matter whether you're a Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative....your mind will be changed in a nanosecond."

Learning about this crisis is the first step toward solving it. Then, we all have to turn knowledge into action and concern into commitment.

My wife Tipper and I feel so strongly about the need for action, we are giving 100% of whatever profits we receive from the movie and the accompanying book by the same name, to a bipartisan educational effort.

Last weekend, the movie broke the all-time per screen record for any documentary movie in history – and, incredibly, according to Variety, broke the all-time per-screen record for any movie opening on Memorial Day weekend. (Incidentally, that record was set by The Shining, back in 1980.)

To learn more, find showtimes at theaters near you and buy tickets to the movie online, go to www.StopGlobalWarming.org.

I sincerely hope you will take the time to see this movie. Thank you.

Al Gore
    StopGlobalWarming.org Virtual Marcher

Whether or not you have seen it, I think it's still best that many people at least become aware of this situation because if you ask me, this problem SURPASSES problems that are political or personal.

So first thing's first, what IS global warming?
    Global warming is the rise of the world's average temperature. The problem is that the warming is rising too fast.
    I remember when I was around the forth or fifth grade, I read an article about it. And for some reason I remember the definition, and the exact words were that it'd be trouble if the average temperature even rose five degrees.

Why is it such a big deal?
    There are quite a few factors people are both unaware and aware of that makes it a veeeeeeeery big deal. Remember: In order for one thing to survive, another thing must live.
    *Glaciers/polar ice are melting. SOME people might be aware of the movements the larger glaciers in....the northern area I believe? Well it was like two or so HUUUGE glaciers, and that 'caused problem for not only humans, but it caused problems for marine mammals as well....Seals were found to have a hard time finding air under the gigantic glacier. Glaciers
    *Think about those who have been living in places that are ALREADY hot. Example?
    Places in the United States: California. Arizona. Texas.
    Places out of the U.S.: Africa (Sahara Desert...Any where in Africa actually), South America (Amazon Rainforest...It's humid but high humidity AND heat is the WORST....=.=)...There are maaaaaany more, I'm very sure. Now....Let's say it's a good 110 degrees F (about 43 C) average during one summer season. Let's jump another year. Now the average for the summer is 120 F (About 48 C). That's HAWT....That causes problem for everyone because most of us aren't used to that heat change, nor do we want to..Do we?
    *Hurricane season. Though I'm not very knowledgeable about the weather and its patterns, I think I read in an article that said some people blame the major hurricanes (in the U.S.) on the global warming issue. That's a debatable issue I guess since many other people debate on this as I heard…There are people out there who can explain it better than me.
    *Ecology problems. First, you have plants...Most plants need a certain average temperature in order to live and grow, and though it is true that temperature DOES affect a plant's growth if it's high enough, having it TOO high will eventually kill it. If you can't have plants, herbivores (plant eating animals) will die. If herbivores die, carnivores (meat eaters) will die from starvation. Omnivores (plant AND meat eating animals) will have the same fate of starvation as well. QUICK FACT! Humans are omnivores.
    Also, I want to ask: WHO LIKES THE LION KING??? I DO!!! That movie has its good points…Do not forget Mufasa's words about the circle of life! It was something about the antelopes and eating and grass………
    *Flood problems. With the glacier shrinking, the water rises. I'm quite sure many of you have heard of the city Shanghai in China. Well..one day, me and my cousin made a joke/bootleg translation from Chinese to english, and we called it "Up water" (Serng..Meaning up haha) . Shanghai will eventually be "under water"...That's a scary foreshadowing =.=
    Okay, but seriously, floods will have most places become a few new Atlantises.
    *This one, I JUST read about: health problems. One obvious one: Heat stroke. Other health-endangering (or something of that sort) symptoms/diseases have been found as well. Like weather patterns, I am not very knowledgeable with this topic but I know for sure that it's a problem

This is all I'll share and say for now.

What factors cause global warming?
    Okay, I have to admit this before saying anything. I think global warming is a natural thing. It's bond to go one degree sometime. So why am I making such a big fuss of it 's gonna be like that?? Simply because the temperature is rising too rapidly. Kinda like implying it's not good to rush. You rush, you screw up. When you screw up, sometimes it's hard to repair your screw up..Like when a kid is hit by a car just 'cause you had to babysit him and you turned your back for five minutes.
    The biggest factor in rapid global warming:
    Human Activity
    OMG! But all I do is sit in front of my computer all day listening to YUI and watch anime! So how in the world am I a big part of this mess?? Well it turns out there's other humans in the world! :o Golly that's news to me!
    Okay, let me explain this first. I'm sure most of us who have taken science classes know about the compound known as carbon dioxide. For those who don't know/remember, it's the stuff we breathe out and plants breathe in.
    The main property of carbon dioxide is that it captures heat and keeps the heat. This is the same for many other gases, such as the methane in the cow farm. But our main focus at the moment is carbon dioxide.
    What most people seriously do not know is that carbon dioxide is produced very quickly. I was surprised myself when looking at the stuff you do every day can produce a HEAVY amount of the gas. The stuff you do from sitting in reading this right now to riding an airplane are gigantic factors that makes carbon dioxide. So, now do we know why the enclosed trash can is so hot in the middle of the night at the fair? Yes indeed. And it ain't a comfortable feeling too.
    Okay, another example of human activity that is a bit smaller but something that I find kind of important: farming. The cows. It's all about those cute little cows. They produce a gas called methane. To learn more about methane, click here. Yeah, I'm lazy.

*Another, though slightly more natural factor:
    Well, there's this thing called the greenhouse effect. Click here if you wanna know more about it. "Aww but I'm too lazy to click...." .................I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually said that 'cause I can be like that sometimes...But..I guess I can say it like this: If you've ever been inside a greenhouse..it's pretty hot and humid, especially if it's like those kinds I have in my backyard..the asian one with the stuff covering a certain area, and it's suuuuuuuuuuper hot in there and not to mention so humid that you can see water droplets everywhere in there. Isn't that hot? Yeesh. Earth is one BIG greenhouse, and the cover thingies for a human sized one is kinda equivilant to the atmosphere layers on Earth. Now, humans kind of makes this worse, as this can be considered human activity as well. Once again, humans love to farm. Nothing more.

What can I do to stop global warming?
    Well..since I have said much, much more than enough, please visit https://www.stopglobalwarming.org or click here to be directed to the place to see what you can do to benefit everything.
    *****Okay, since I know some of you might be just too lazy to even CLICK the darn links, I'll summarize things here.
    Basically, the website is telling you to be conservative. Save energy, recycle, use certain types of this and that, and also don't make a lot of trash. A lot of trash=more carbon dioxide.

Credits:
    For Farenheit to Celsius conversion: https://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm
    StopGlobalWarming.org
    Climate Crisis.org—An Inconvenient Truth website

Here's my march page I made last year:
    https://www.stopglobalwarming.org/sgw_marcher.asp?391032
    But back then, I really didn't know as much as I know now...I would love to add to it if I could too

**I've posted this in a few other forums, so if it sounds weird.....Erm deal with it I guess lol 'cause I don't wanna do any more editing anymore..x_X

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Wow, very long post. ^_^

But people wonder why all these Hurricanes and Tropical Storms are arrousing. ~_~

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Well, i did not read the first post, but I do know that us down in the south east are the ones suffering because of Global Warnimg. If it wasnt that hot, then water wouldnt evapotare quickly, thus destroying the chances of a Hurricane..

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Yup, correct. But it's all this electricity and cars, and stuff.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2009
    Yeah it's more about what we're doing now.

Also, I forgot to mention that the world is actually facing climate changes as well...Someone in another forum that I'm in said that and that is very true actually.

But people wonder why all these Hurricanes and Tropical Storms are arrousing. ~_~
    Yeap..=_=;;;

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    Al Gore is a huge hypocrite.
    When he ran for office, his whole campaign was for the Democrats, and he was against Capitalism. Suddenly, he comes out with this movie and urges people to see it.
    Mr. Gore, you urge people to pay to see the movie you just made? That's called Capitalism. See, he's not so against Capitalism when he's making money from it.
    Plus, he's for lowering energy costs, but he makes a huge movie and advertises it everywhere. Hmm, maybe you should make a play and advertise it with word-of-mouth. That would use less energy!

"I have an inside tip that [Global Warming] is just a bunch of crap."
    -Homer

McGraw

hoppipola
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 14, 2010
    I remain skeptical about the human impact upon global warming. There is no conclusive evidence to suggest that we contribute notably to the greenhouse effect. It could easily be a small group of scientists speculating vocally; if you keep an issue in the public awareness long enough, it may become mistakenly accepted as fact by the majority. Remember, consensus proves nothing, because humans are highly susceptible to environmental and social conditioning.

Most individuals and firms will put their own interests above that of society's. People are unwilling to sacrifice a higher standard of living and corporations will cut any corner they can, for profit. This is all rational and justifiable, but by acting in this manner, the individual/firm reaps the benefits while society shoulders the costs; your classic "Tragedy of the Commons". Until everyone takes responsibility for the effects of their actions upon society (a clearly idealist scenario), we will be unable to curb human causation of global warming effectively. There are taxation methods that can help to force the individual/firm to face the cost to society, but while being beautifully effective in theory, these are difficult to implement.

So why should scarce resources be allocated to the cause if the benefits appear so limited? Further, global warming could be an entirely natural process that will occur with or without human input, and we may be unable to alter its course anyway. Though I understand the rationale for energy conservation and reducing human influence, it is very difficult to evaluate whether the benefits outweigh the resources necessary and (opportunity) costs involved to do so. What is the price of salvation? It is obviously greater than what we are willing to pay. Oh well, "not in my life time" as they say.

Guest123_x1

The entire planet will just blow itself into pieces just like Alderann. I just know it...

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2009
    corganzero: I do not wish to drag any political opinions into this. The reason is being because no matter where you go, there's gonna be at least ten people who's gonna agree with Gore, or anybody that's a part of the political party, and another few people agreeing so it'll end up being something with no point for arguement. There are a lot of arguements about the government in small areas no matter where you go. On another note, this topic is more on the science side rather than politics anyway. It's true that I did say my own opinion about him, and even posted stuff of what his opinion is. But that doesn't mean we should turn away from the real point of this topic: to get people aware of global warming and why it's gonna screw up---or for some already, screwin' up--our lives 'cause that really is the truth.

In other words, it's more about what the people do and not some ONE guy who's got his own opinion. We all have opinions and whether or not if it's dumb or smart to someone else, we should respect that opinion.

McGraw: There are many points that I DO agree with. That's very true, there is no evidence that we're contributing to the greenouse effect. Though I THINK I stated that in my first post, as well as me thinking that global warming is a natural cause. It's more about excess release of carbon dioxide rather than the greenhouse effect
    And I definitly understand that people will NOT let go of their standrard of living, I know five people living in my own house that are like that. And that's what ticks me off, but I shall say no more of that.

ottermi619: Yeah...O_O

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    you're right, let's not let this turn into a political discussion, i got way off track there.

Sneas

Burning Blaze.
    Years
    "Global Warming" might be natural. The Earth used to have no ice at all at the Poles way before humans existed, thus it was much, much warmer than it presently is. Go google "icehouse-hothouse cycles". We are currently in an icehouse cycle, according to This Site.

Last edited:
    Years
    ottermi619 said:
    The entire planet will just blow itself into pieces just like Alderann. I just know it...
    I pray that that happens after our life times. >_>; Then again, there are also theories of solar storms wiping out the planet too. But I think the planet blowing itself up really would happen. o_o;

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    I believe it is the generally accepted consensus among the scientific world that climate change due to human influence is what has happened especially over the last 150 years since the Industrial Revolution. I'm not completely convinced, cos I haven't seen the evidence myself and to be honest, the world's temperature has been steadily increasing naturally anyway and we're talking the matter of a few degrees at most from human influence, which is basically speeding up a natural process.

Mind you, the way the world's weather has been lately, what with last years hurricane season, the increased frequency of El Nino events, and other major events, they may be something in it. Or, last year may have been a one off. If things happen again similar or worse to last year, maybe I'll be convinced. And maybe I'll do a bit of my own research in the meantime.

Back