• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Going too far? High school student suspended for refusing to wear GPS tracker

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
  • At the high school I went to, the ID cards were used for text books and library books.
    Oh! Library books. That makes a lot of sense. I never took a book out of the school library when in high school XD I think I had to use the card to sign into the library computers though

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    What religion would forbid this (if you'll excuse my ignorance)? I'm not being sarcastic; I don't know.

It seems like a good idea to me. Then they can find out if kids are skipping classes. Now, if it tracked them no matter where they were...then, yes, that's too far. But just to see if they're on school grounds seems fine to me.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...g-wear-chipped-ID-tag-fitted-GPS-tracker.html

Welcome to the surveillance state!
    R.I.P. Liberty

Is this going too far, or necessary?
    Discuss.

So.. this is all in an attempt to combat truancy?

Hell, if they really want to prevent truancy, just make them get a pass, or suspend them from school in the first place instead of actually going to lengths like that.

It's an invasion of privacy, and an invasion of security... I swear, our Government is so screwed up. T_T

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Why they need to combat truancy is because the schools funding depends on a student actually being in school.

More funding means more funds that the school can use to give students a better education.

Because of how schools are funded, A student skipping school doesn't just affect that student, it affects all the students in the school.

@ Lucario - The school has a right to know where you are, on school grounds. Thats what the RFID cards do. Show if a student is on school grounds.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    The title of this thread/the article is misleading. It's not GPS tracking at all, it's a simple [You're on school grounds!] system.

Quite why anyone would be against that I don't know.

If she has a history of truancy, then she needs to be charged and convicted of it in a court of law.

So you're suggesting that a school shouldn't have any control or responsibility on it's pupils and how it punishes them? -.-

I sense a troll.

Back