• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gold > Ethan

Gold to Ethan

• I Love the idea!

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Why would they do such a thing?

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • I don't care...

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters

ilikeluigi

Team Rocket's only hope
Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2014
    I just curious, What is your thoughts on Game freak changing Gold's name to Ethan?

Years
  • ethan is better, i don't even know why they named ash: red or gary: blue, those are colors not names

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • ethan is better, i don't even know why they named ash: red or gary: blue, those are colors not names

In Japan, Red and Green(Gary's real name, its not blue.) sounded like cool names to have since they were english, its quite hard to explain but also they go along with the titles of the games. It is like of instance, Kiba Inuzuka off of Naruto, his dog is called "Akamaru" which is pretty much means "Red". To english people this sounds better than calling it "Red", simply because its in a different language. Its the other way around here, instead of giving Red and Green normal names, they make them sound foreign by using Red and Green. (sorry if you dont understand, its hard to explain.) the same goes for Gold, Silver Crystal, etc.....

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • Ethan is still Gold to me, I named my character in HG as Gold. In my eyes, they're still the same character.
    ethan is better, i don't even know why they named ash: red or gary: blue, those are colors not names
    Following on from what the poster above me said, Ash is based on Red, the playable character from the original games, and gary is named after Blue, the name of your rival from those games. Sure, you could give your own name to yourself and Rival, but they were the official character names.

The anime was based on the games, and thus came after, and NOT the other way around. This is a basic piece of knowledge about the franchise that most people do not seem to understand. Likewise, the various mangas are based upon the games, too.

The games were the original media text for the Pokémon franchise, and it's something that you should not forget with regards to characters.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I noticed that all of Golds English names suck; Ethan and Jimmy (Anime counterpart). I will always call him either Gold or Kenta (Jap anime counterpart).

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    Red is a real name though, haven't you have heard of Red Skelton the comedian or Red Forman, the fictional dad on That 70's Show. Oh, and would you rather be named Red or Ashley, which is what Ash is probably short for since, despite popular belief, is a duel gender name.

Honestly, I think Gold sounds cooler, since I like color based names. Red and Crystal however, are real names that both sound good. Silver might be too, I'd have to check.

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
  • I don't understand why they renamed him. Gold always sounded fine and awesome to me!^^ Ethan... I somehow don't like it... Maybe that's because I grew up with Gold and not with Ethan but I still think Gold is WAY better than Ethan.

Oh, and: At least Ethan sounds better than Klarin, his german name! That was the worst thing they could do to Gold ever! Klarin somehow sounds pretty girlish, don't you think?^^ Luckily, I named my Gold Gold! xD

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I dont watch the Anime, I only read the Manga, so in my eyes, they all still have names like Silver, Gold, Red, Green etc.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    Red is a real name though, haven't you have heard of Red Skelton the comedian or Red Forman, the fictional dad on That 70's Show. Oh, and would you rather be named Red or Ashley, which is what Ash is probably short for since, despite popular belief, is a duel gender name.

Honestly, I think Gold sounds cooler, since I like color based names. Red and Crystal however, are real names that both sound good. Silver might be too, I'd have to check.
    Red is often times short for Jarrod/ Jared though.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Gold is much better. The only two heroes that can get away with normal names is Brendan and Lucas.

Shiari Xero

Completely Original
    Years

Ok First of all, Red =/= Ash
    See Spoiler for more:
    Spoiler:

Now,on topic, i personally liked "Gold" better as a name, it fit the naming scheme they had going. And its one of my favorite colors :3 But in truth, and i quote from bulbapedia:
    "Ethan (Japanese: ヒビキ Hibiki) is the main playable character in Pokémon Gold and Silver and is the male choice in Pokémon Crystal, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. In Crystal, his female counterpart is Kris, while in HeartGold and SoulSilver his female counterpart is Lyra.
    He is a caring young boy who lives with his mother in New Bark Town. He had no official name in Generation II, but was unofficially known by fans as Gold (ゴールド Gold)."

So, they didnt technically change his name, as he wasnt officially named, unlike red and green from the generation before. I dont know why they didnt officially name him, but they did now, and its Ethan.

Back