• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Gold: Wild encounters in towns

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2015
    Hello there. I as the title suggests, I am looking for a way to enable wild encounters in towns. While I am using several programs such as GSC Wild Pokemon Editor to edit random encounters on the routes, I have no hex editing experience.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
    Hi,

The wild pokemon datas you edit with GSC Wild Pokemon Editor are actually data structures that look like this;

[Map Bank][Map No.][Encounter rate for Morn.][Encounter rate for Day][Encounter rate for Night][Wild pokemon data for morning, day & night (14 + 14 + 14 bytes? (in case there are 7 pokemon in total for each)]

So basically, when you use that editor to edit any wild pokemon data and click save, the program shows an address where it changed data. That is the address where this data structure is located.

So what you gotta do is to open up your rom file with a hex editor and use its "Go to" function to go to the address that wild pokemon editor shows. There you can change the first two bytes, [Map Bank] & [Map No.], to define, which map does this wild pokemon data belong to.
    If you're using Johtomap for hacking, it will show the Map Bank and Map No. of each map in decimal format. When you hack the game using a hex editor, you'll first have to convert those two decimal numbers to hexadecimal and write them in the place of Map Bank and Map No.

As example;
    -----------
    If the program shows you the address of some wild pokemon data is at $2ACAD, you open up the rom with a hex editor and go to address 0x2ACAD (0x is just a prefix for telling the hex editor that the address following it is in hexadecimal). There you'll have to modify the first two bytes (at address $2ACAD and $2ACAE).

If you for example want to make the wild pokemon data to belong for the map of New Bark Town outside, the map bank of that map is 24 (0x18) and map no. 4 (0x4). I picked up those values with Johtomap. So you'd write bytes "18 04" in $2ACAD-$2ACAE.

Hopefully this helps. :)

Back