• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gol's Fakemon and other pixels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Maybe you should reply to his actual post instead of what you think he's saying, then, too :P

He was talking mainly about palette choice and shading for Ooh-Ooh (horrendous name, too - surely you can think of something a little more intelligent), but you brought up your monkey's face. Equally, he was just pointing out that you shouldn't be claiming Graboom as a custom sprite, when it's a simple edit of an existing sprite, but you instead justified making the edit.

It's all very well asking for crit, but it's pointless giving you any if you ignore it. All of his points are valid and should help you to improve, so if you're just going to scoot around them, you're not going to get far. Just my two cents.

Years
  • Okay, lets see... Well in my new Ooh-Ooh I'm removing the vine. But, maybe you didn't read all the posts, because I said Ooh-Ooh had two forms. One with vines, one without vines. But I'm working on that. By the way, most people think it's un-pokemonish because of the face, but that's because of size limitations. I am respriting it in 80x80. Oh, Groopeneye up there is only beta, which I should say earlier and will edit later. I'm still putting the finishing touches on Groopeneye, which looks COMPLETELY different. Also, I never said the trainer wasn't a splice. I'm sorry you think Graboom is a rip-off, but I explained why I made it under it. Splices.... Um, Rattarock's and Ratistone's stomach colors are the same.... if you mean from the original, it's because it's more of a retype then a splice, turning them into rock types. I know the shading is messed up on all of them, I'm working on making that better. The wings are only there because I'm still working on the blur effect. Maybe you should read all the posts next time... :P.

If you ask for criticism, you should be ready to take it. And regarding the splices, Rattata's secondary colour is beige, whilst Raticate's is light grey.

You didn't make Graboom. You took an existing sprite and modified it slightly. I would understand if you had completely scratched a new sprite for it, but you didn't. Thus my point still stands.

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Well, I took the criticism, just informing you on stuff that you seemed to not know....

About the Rattas.... you're right. Oops! Just pretend they are the same color....
    You can feel how you feel about Graboom... not my problem really.

Years
  • You can feel how you feel about Graboom... not my problem really.

Well that is just an ignorant and arrogant attitude, frankly. What's the point of displaying your work and then consequently asking for critique, just to throw it back into peoples' face?

Hopefully this critique will be taken in.

Okay. The features such as the face and limbs are too small, and the body needs to be smaller (proportionately, of course). The perspective of the sprite seems to be as if we are looking at it from miles away whereas the official style of Pokémon sprites are when the player is relatively close to the target, considering the battle distance. The banana looks very flourescent and is clearly not the colour of a banana - additionally, props (for want of a better word) on Pokémon sprites are normally related to the Pokémon in some way or the other (i.e. the spoons for Alakazam and Kadabra relate directly to the Pokédex entry), but the vine and banana just seem to be there for the sake of being there and would make sense with, say, Primeape, or something, as it is a typical thing and doesn't really say anything unique about the Pokémon.

As I mentioned before, the limbs on Ooh-Ooh (which, by the way, as NikNaks stated, is a really annoying name :/) are anatomically incorrect and are inconsistent with the rest of the sprite's body (where the torso and shoulders, especially, are abnormally large). What I presume to be the tuft of hair in the middle of the male version of Ooh-Ooh looks very unnecassary and unrealistic. And even if it were required on the sprite as a feature, it was executed very poorly, and looks like flesh more than fur or hair. Speaking of which, the shading throughout the whole sprite gives the illusion of a smooth surface, which is presumable not the desired effect. The hands and feet looks tacked on and don't merge properly, and their colour scheme are just as bad as the typical blue, which isn't improved when changed to white in the shiny counterpart, either.

Finally, I'd just like to point out that Ooh-Ooh's tail is merged with (our) right leg. I suggest you completely redo and revamp the concept and sprite, respectively.

Hello there badly-executed Gastly and Haunter rip-offs!

Honestly, "Groopeneye" (which, by the way, wouldn't fit in an official Pokémon game, both name-wise - which is, again, pretty shoddy - or size-wise) is just a Gastly with all sense of orientation (at least according to the official games of Pokémon) and shading lost somewhere along it's mutation. The "Ctrl+W"ed... things...around the main sphere seem unnecassary and out-of place.

You didn't even change the outline on the resized spheres around Kingor, which also has badly-done shading, etc. These really look like they were done on your phone or something in five seconds. :/

It's a miss-orientated Slowbro thing. Nothing to say about it except it's facing the wrong way and the shape is off. :/

These are presumably retypes. And they are badly-done presumable retypes, too. The outlines of the copy-pasted 'stones' and 'rocks' don't blend with the outline and the hands/feet's of Ratistones' colouring clash, and really don't go. Not much to say, really, except that these aren't the best of retypes, and, again, seem rushed.

...Do I really need to comment?

You recoloured the wing colour to an eye-sore orange. I don't get it.

The outline clashes and is inconsistent, and the colouring is just as bad. Again, I can't really comment on this. :/

The black areas of this sprite haven't been shaded enough which presents a... uhm, I don't know, dark? - feeling to the sprite. Which is bad.

Right, so you got a trainer and threw glasses on him? Cool story.

The outline shading is choppy, the eyes, frankly, look like an internet emoticon (0.o), which isn't a good thing to have on what is supposed to be a professional presentation of art (considering these sprites are theorectically meant to be in a international-wide market). Also, Beedrill here isn't looking the right way.

Just reminding you that most of what I've said is me, adding onto what the other's have said. Please, next time consider your work and don't just brush off critique. Seriously, it's disrespectful,a nd contradicts your requests for critique. Critique isn't all about "k gud spryts maik m0r!!!!!!!11".

Last edited:

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    I wasn't trying to be arrogant. Yes, I realize that the coconut and palm tree are epic fails. Did you look at the original picture of the Beedrill? It's eyes are kinda like that, no offense. Also, I haven't done the bright colors shading in bright places on border shading thingy, so that may be why it's messed up.

No offense, but why is the banana and vine good with Primeape and not Ooh-Ooh? Ooh-Ooh is based on a Baboon, which is why the shoulders are large and limbs short. I realize the face sucks. A lot. But, not why the leg and tail merge; nor why the hands are wrong, it's supposed to look cartoony; finally, the fur is supposed to look shiny and very smooth.

Tomorrow I'll be posting the remake Re-haul of Groopeneye (what's wrong with it's name?) For every to un-hate :P

Honestly, IMO you guys think that I think I'm the best spriter ever when you critique me, or at least that's the way it comes across. If I have acted that way I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I'm sorry for being arrogant, and I probably won't even be posting the new Groopeneye tomorrow, but just let this thread die instead, unless of course there is some miracle where people actually want to see my sprites. (I can dream can't I?) So for two days I will tally the votes: Keep posting in this thread or let it die?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I wasn't trying to be arrogant. Yes, I realize that the coconut and palm tree are epic fails. Did you look at the original picture of the Beedrill? It's eyes are kinda like that, no offense. Also, I haven't done the bright colors shading in bright places on border shading thingy, so that may be why it's messed up.
    Okay, I understand that the picture is like that, but you'll get a better result if you adjust things that look off. Okay, I understand it's a WIP. :3
    No offense, but why is the banana and vine good with Primeape and not Ooh-Ooh? Ooh-Ooh is based on a Baboon, which is why the shoulders are large and limbs short. I realize the face sucks. A lot. But, not why the leg and tail merge; nor why the hands are wrong, it's supposed to look cartoony; finally, the fur is supposed to look shiny and very smooth.
    What I meant is that it isn't necassary and doesn't tell us anything more about the Pokémon. You could add them to Primeape and it would still look bad. The outline of the leg and tail seem to become in one. The tail comes out of the wrong place. Smooth fur? You'd still see it, and the chest-part looks odd if that's true.
    Tomorrow I'll be posting the remake Re-haul of Groopeneye (what's wrong with it's name?) For every to un-hate :P
    Hopefully it'll be good.
    Honestly, IMO you guys think that I think I'm the best spriter ever when you critique me, or at least that's the way it comes across. If I have acted that way I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I'm sorry for being arrogant, and I probably won't even be posting the new Groopeneye tomorrow, but just let this thread die instead, unless of course there is some miracle where people actually want to see my sprites. (I can dream can't I?) So for two days I will tally the votes: Keep posting in this thread or let it die? Also, the other, should I continue the game I'm making, or quite it? Since most sprites are stinky and they're mine, probably called off.
    Carry on spriting, of course. Carry on posting, of course. But also, carry on taking in critisism and doing something about it. I may have come across as harsh before I can assure you it was nothing personal. I was simply telling you what is right and wrong (and I did admittedly go a bit out of my way with the arrogant part; sorry, I was annoyed. D: ).
    Since you guys will probably ruin my hopes of making a decent game, fakemon are now public, as if anyone want to use them.
    Don't let our critisism put you down, seriously. I admit that I am a really crappy spriter, but I've been spriting for a long time, and I occasionally make some diamonds in the rough, and I'm really proud of them. You're only a beginner; we don't expect you to do everything perfect on the first try. Just, next time, try and be a bit more acceptive (that a word? well, accept more) of the critisism you get, because most of the time it is constructive and you should take it on board.

No hard feelings, right? Sorry if I was a bit harsh before, that's just me! Continue spriting; one day you'll be great, if you just take in what people say. :3

Years
  • Oh come on. Stop being such a baby. If you don't take our comments and use them to improve, you'll get nowhere as an artist. If you don't think you can handle harsh criticism, then I guess this isn't for you.

Anyway, I don't see any vine or banana on any Primeape sprite. Ever. So not sure what you're on about with that one.

And with regards to your "it's supposed to look like that" comments, that just shows you're ignoring us. If you want it to look like a Pokémon sprite, follow what Chimbaru and Spherical have said and change the palette and the anatomy. If you're not going to bother, it won't look like a Pokémon sprite. Sorry.

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • I quite like the pixel over. Your line art isn't perfect but very close. Nice job on it!

The fakemon need some work. There are many tutorials over the internet that may be some use to you. Keep practising and you will become great!

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks, np7261. My new Groopeneye is following Chesu's tutorials.

@NikNaks:

I understand, I was having a pity party, but calling me a baby- Unnecessary. The Primeape comment was from something Spherical Ice said. Well, my
    "it's supposed to look like that"
    comments, I never meant them in a 'OMG you suck for saying that I don't care' kinda way. I meant that basically, that's my concept and I'm going to stick with, except, of course, the vine, I'll take it out. The banana stays- I LIKE BANANAS!!!!!! (:P)

@ Spherical Ice:

Thanks for the critique... you are right about the smooth fur and the legs, I'll have to add that to my list of things to fix :knockedou. I forgive you for being kinda harsh. Once again the thing about me being in a pity party. Actually, I'm spending all of tomorrow (a Saturday here) to spruce up Groopeneye. It will probably be posted late tommorow or early the day after that in eastern time.

Thankies, and sorry for the pity party!

By the way, since I was having trouble making a good circle, I used Voltorb's border... so Groopeneye is MOSTLY, not fully, scratched.

Years
  • Heh, if you plan on using Voltorb as part of Groopeneye, why not use it's shading as a guideline as well. You could call this an amalgamation, like what Chesu explains in his tutorials.

Oh, and my reference to Primeape basically meant that a banana and vine are generic and would work with pretty much any monkey.

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Ah, Okay, thanks. Well, I don't have the sprite 'cause my own computer is under maintenance, so... actually, the Voltorb shading thing is a good idea.. I might do that. Originally it was going to be glisteny and moist like a real eyeball but that's kinda really freaky.

Also, when the maintenance is over, I'll be posting some non-pokemon related sprites for a Sci-Fi Real Time Strategy game I am making. Trust me, I'm alot better at those than at pokemon :)

Last edited:

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHH........... Okay well ever since the maintenance crap, the computer guys messed up my computer, and I lost a lot of data...... so, I decided to momentarily stop spriting and focus my mind on my fan-game Pokemon Cryshist (which does not yet have a topic cause it's just getting off). That means that any and all moderators can officially lockify this thread. Thankies!

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    Just quickly, for the monkey, the norma pallatte needs black outlines, and some more features.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back