• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'Good' music.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • Music, unlike film/TV/books/theatre, is a medium in which I just go with my gut as to determine what's good or what's not. Mainly because there's so much of it and so many genres and styles and histories, it's a lot harder to come up with any concrete, objective principles that apply to 'good' music. So, I don't really bother. Having said that, 'good' music tends to grow on me the more I listen to it. If I find the song in question interesting but don't necessarily 'like' it on a first listen, that's actually a sign that I'll end up really liking it. It happened with Radiohead, it happened with Azaelia Banks, it happened with Arcade Fire etc. Conversely, if I really like a song on first listen, if I like it less with each listen, then I probably wouldn't consider it all that 'good', as its flaws become more apparent. 'Cause that's the best thing that multiple listens do to music: expose the flaws and truly flawless moments in equal measure.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    Music that has a meaning, that speaks to you. That's what good music is to me. This is in a lot of music from dramatic songs to even (yes) dubstep. Take for example Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites from Skrillex. It convays high points and low points of emotion throughout the song. A non stop back and forth struggle. Even something that merely sets the mood, like Lance's Theme from HGSS. It really foreshadows the battle that is about to ensue, and the importance to it.

Years
  • Has anybody else started noticing the popularity shift of musical tastes?
    It's like there are two paths starting to emerge, the path of electronic music containing Dubstep and the primarily female Pop singers, and the path of guitar-based band music, i.e the 'Indy' scene.

It seems as if what's being played on the radio nowadays is in deep competition between the two general styles. I hope R&B gets removed completely

Could this mark the beginning of a musical separation? Or do you think that it could be the first indication of a third 'New Wave' style that ignores most traditional methods of songwriting?

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    For me it's definitely the lyrics. They don't have to be emotional or deep, they just have to strike me in some way, whether it be emotionally or just make me think "wow that's really clever".

As for the music itself, again it doesn't have to be overly technical or show amazing musicianship (seriously had no idea that was a word until now) but the tune has to work in sync with the lyrics to make them go through me rather than come at me. That sounds so lame and wishy-washy but it's the best way I can describe it lol.

Pretty much exactly the same for me

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2019
    Leaving reggaeton asides (thats NOT music in this Universe or in any other one), I fancy almost all kind of music if its original and non repetitive (Pop music mostly could be defined as I stated before). From electronic to indie, including rock, Blues and punk; classic and nowadays groups.

Back