• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Good Normal/Ground/Rock Type?

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    What's a good normal/Ground/Rock type to complete my team with? it needs to be preferably before or at least right after the 3rd badge. Thats my only specification. Unless somehow i can get a super good one like right after the point i mentioned. Do NOT say: "there are wayyy 2 meny opsions doooddd!" just mention random pokemon that are of the type and specifications if you don't have any valid information to post.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    Okay. I'm currently playing pokemon silver and this is my team i have planned so far:
    Fire:Typhlosion
    Dragon: Dragonite (if i cant get dragonite, then it will be crobat)
    Water/Psychic:Slowbro
    Bug/Fighting:Heracross
    Electric:Ampharos
    Then im looking for a rock/ground/normal type. Preferably normal since im trying to use a couple people i haven't ever used in silver

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Can't go wrong with Sandslash, my personal favourite Ground-type. I've had one in pretty much every team i've had in the R/B/Y games. Admittedly not so much Silver/Gold so you could try another but if I was going to add a Ground-type to my arsenal, it'd be Sandslash.

Normal types you could try would be Pokémon like Miltank, Chansey, Snorlax etc. High HP, can learn a wide variety of moves and armed with the right movesets can be absolutely lethal in battle.

As for Rock, i'm not sure as it's a type i've always steered clear of. The one time I did have a Rock-type in my team (Onix), I traded and evolved into the mighty Steelix. Even then, however, it only played a bit-part so I dunno. Golem maybe? Or if you want to try something different have a go with Sudowoodo lol.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    Im not sure if you can get sandshrew in pokemon silver or not.. And hmm miltank chansey or snorlax sounds good but the downside is: snorlax you get after the like 14th gym... and chansey is after the 12th gym i think. Miltank is after the 4th gym so thats a possibility. Any other Normal types you can get earlier that you know of?

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Normal
    Rattata - Route 29, 46, 30, 31, 32, Union Cave, 33, 34
    Sentret - Route 29
    Jigglypuff - Route 46
    Dunsparce - Dark Cave (Violet)
    Stantler - Route 36, 37
    Ditto - Route 34, 35
    Raticate - Route 38, 39
    Tauros - Route 38, 39
    Snubbull - Route 38, 39
    Miltank - Route 38, 39
    Meowth - Route 38, 39

Ground
    N/A

Rock
    Geodude - Route 46, Dark Cave (Violet), Union Cave
    Onix - Trade Bellsprout in Violet City, Union Cave
    Sudowoodo - Route 36

That's everthing available in Silver before and just after the 3rd Gym.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Im not sure if you can get sandshrew in pokemon silver or not.. And hmm miltank chansey or snorlax sounds good but the downside is: snorlax you get after the like 14th gym... and chansey is after the 12th gym i think. Miltank is after the 4th gym so thats a possibility. Any other Normal types you can get earlier that you know of?

Agh, apologies I re-read your original post and noticed you were asking for Pokémon available early in the game. D'oh@me

But yeah, I stick by my original statement, Miltank is a good bet. I keep forgetting you can't get Sandshrew/slash in Silver lol :/

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    Yeah i just looked at that a sec before you posted it lol. I think im going to choose miltank. It can learn surf and other elemental moves so id prefer that, and i think its base hp is a little higher..
    edit: oh and yeah articmankey if sandshrew was in the game i would have deffinetly got it lol i have a thing for sandshrew, but thanks for the help guys

Years
    You can catch male and female Nidorans on routes 35 and 36. They evolve into Nidoqueen and Nidoking, who are both poison/ground.

Geodude is in Dark Cave and on route 46. That depends if you're able to trade though, because Golem is awesome but Graveller not as much.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Geodude is in Dark Cave and on route 46. That depends if you're able to trade though, because Golem is awesome but Graveller not as much.

Yeah, the fact that I can't evolve Geodude past Graveller always puts me off catching him. Same goes for Machop, Abra and Gastly. Their 1st evolved stages are cool but I always yearn for an Alakazam or Gengar :(

Years
    Yeah, the fact that I can't evolve Geodude past Graveller always puts me off catching him. Same goes for Machop, Abra and Gastly. Their 1st evolved stages are cool but I always yearn for an Alakazam or Gengar :(

I'm lucky I've got a friend who plays so I got a link cable off of ebay and I can use those pokemon now.

Too bad you can't wifi on the older gens.

Man of Faith

My, my, Doctor Saunders.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    Sandshrew is in Silver. It costs 700 coins at the Goldenrod Game Corner.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    I dont have the ability to trade.. but hmm i didnt know you could get sandshrew. That changes things...

routes 35 and 36... how far are they into the game

Last edited:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Route 35 is the route from Goldenrod -> National Park, Route 36 is the junction route connecting National Park and Violet City (It's where you catch Sudowoodo).

I completely forgot about the Game Corner! Miltank, Tauros or Sandshrew? Hmmm.. toughie, but it depends what you're after. For strength i'd go for Tauros or Miltank but based on personal preference alone it'd be Sandshrew every time.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    I think ill get miltank until kanto then ill trade a chansey for an aerodactyl and then have an aerodactyl.

I have one more question to ask about the same team and didnt want to make a new thread so: what is the earliest time you can get a zubat and is it worth it to replace dragonite with crobat or would i have to many weaknesses

Last edited:

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    You can find Zubat starting at Rt. 30 I think. You can pretty much just wander around at night and find one pretty easily.
    There's a list of the routes you can find it on Bulbapedia. Link

Unless you can trade one from somewhere, Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite come along pretty late in the game. Crobat is pretty good, and you shouldn't have a problem with using it, plus you can always replace it later if you decide you don't like it.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    To echo the above post, i'd just go with Crobat tbh. If you decide it's not for you, there's always the possibility of picking up a Dratini at a later point and training it up to a Dragonite. Personally I prefer Dragonite, but I did have a Crobat in one of my teams and found it to be fantastic if you're wanting to annoy the hell out of opponents. If you're wanting power, it's got to be the lovable orange Dragon every time.

Back