• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Good team for pokemon yellow?

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2008
    Here's my team:

Pikachu (lvl25)
    Alakazam (lvl 30)
    Ivysaur (lvl 25)
    pidgeotto(lvl 23)
    Wartotle (lvl 27)
    Charmeleon (lvl 24)

Is this a good team? Should I remove/add any pokémon?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Get rid of Alakazam and get Gengar. It's infinitely more useful.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2008
    And I thought Alakazam was the most powerful pokémon i had ^^

Though what makes Gengar better?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Zam is your strongest Pokemon, which is pretty bad. Zam has some pretty bad defense, and even though it's speed and attack is through the roof, one hit from anything a few levels above it or even below it that is strong either knocks it out or injures it greatly.

Gengar has a wider variety, better speed, and more resistences (no physical attacks)

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Trust me, he'll help you in every battle you'll have.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2008
    Yeah, I have had him do some battles now and he seems to be practically the same as alakazam, and being resistant to more types adds up.

Also, any special TMs I should teach to my pokémon? Taught bubblebeam to wartotle as a replacement for bubble, since it's stronger. His moves will probably be Surf, Hydro pump, Blizzard and bubblebeam. Charmeloen something like: Strength, fissure, flamethrower and...? Pidgeotto will have Fly, Razor wind, wing attack and gust? Pikachu will have thundershock and thunderbolt, and ? Gengar has night shade, confuse ray, hypnosis and lick, anything I should do to him? Then venasaur, he has cut, poisenpowder, vine whip and leech seed, should I learn him anything? I will learn him razor leaf replacing poisonpowder?

Give me tips here please.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    First, you shouldn't really have the same move type in a Pokemon set, but I guess since it's Yellow, it'll slide. These are my suggestions for Pre E4

Blastoise- Ice Beam, Surf, Hydro Pump, Withdraw

Pikachu- Thunderbolt, Dig, Mega Kick, (filler)

Charizard- Fissure, Flamethrower, Mega Punch, Slash

Gengar- Shadow Ball (is this in this gen?)/Psychic, Hypnosis, Confuse Ray, Night Shade

Pidgeot- Fly, Wing Attack, Silver Wind, Steel Wing (is it in this gen?)/Sand Attack

Venasaur- Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Poison Powder, Vine Whip

Sorry if it's not the best; I'm rusty on this first gen.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for the help. I couldn't get it exactly that way, but it's so close it doesn't matter. And shadow ball is gen 2, and the last pidgeot attacks are too. I think my team is pretty strong now.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    It was my pleasure helping you. I agree, your team moveset is pretty darn good, especially since the E4 don't have a lot of annoying attacks as they do in Gen 3-4.

bazzaroony

Pokemon Topaz Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2009
    Yes that's ok

That's the sort of team I used in the game...
    The alakazam is a good strong POKEMON because it can evolve earlier

KageRyuu

The Shadow Dragon
    Years
    Gengar- Ghost/Poison type Pokemon. Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Nightshade, and Forgot the fourth.
    Raichu- Thunder type Pokemon.MegaPunch, Thunderbolt, Double Team, and Quick-Attack
    Charizard- Fire/Flying type pokemon.Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Dragon Rage, Slash
    Snorlax- Normal type pokemon. Icebeam, Hyperbeam, Body Slam, Rest
    Mewtwo- Psychic type Psychic, Recover, Psywave, Amnesia
    Butterfree- Bug type pokemon. Psychic, Poison Powder, Harden, Psybeam

Mewtwo was the powerhouse who took on mostly everything but bug.
    Charizard took on everything aswell that wasnt water.
    Butterfree took on the psychic types and the grass.
    Snorlax took on the dragon types and anything it could crush except ghost.
    Raichu took on the water types and whatever it could lol.
    Gengar took on mostly what it wanted that wasnt Hitmonchan with its many punches, or normal types.

This team is what I had if I remember correctly.

Back